PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two blends in the expansive Cornell & Diehl catalog that are not often mentioned are Stratfordshire and Tuggle Hall, both English blends with distinctive characteristics. In the Seattle Pipe Club group, one that gets the least attention but I would recommend is Potlatch.

Reactions: samuelgawith01

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Escudo and Three Nuns Original are 2 sleeper blends that I would miss tremendously if they dropped off the shelves.

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you haven't seen a change then you haven't been paying attention. Just do some digging on any pipe site. There was tremendous enthusiasm for Pease from about 2007 to 2014, with fans ranting about how great he was. That was a peak time for his fan base. He was active on boards. He had his own column here. And now none of that happens. That fan-boy hero worship has gradually died down to the point where I almost never see it expressed online. In fact you'd be hard pressed to get him to answer an email.

If he wants to spend more time pursuing other interests, that's up to him. But his absence has had an effect. He's lost some of the reputation he worked hard to achieve, irrespective of how good his blends are. And yes, you can blame Pease for mold. It's still his company. He's still responsible for the quality of his products.

It could be that Greg just got older and tired of putting up with all the crap he would see at the forums. Who knows. Perhaps he got tired of explaining how aging worked for the 50th time. Who knows. Show me a blend that has never, ever had a moldy tin and I'll show you someone that sprayed so much crap on the tobacco I'd never want to smoke it. Is C&D/GLP worse than others? All I've had personal experience with is an 8 ounce can of Opening Night that was riddled with mold. 8 oz in 50 lb sounds like a 1% problem to me which is well within my acceptable tolerances. I get a lot more concerned with SG blends, especially ones in the rectangular tins, than I do C&D/GLP.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
It could be that Greg just got older and tired of putting up with all the crap he would see at the forums. Who knows. Perhaps he got tired of explaining how aging worked for the 50th time. Who knows. Show me a blend that has never, ever had a moldy tin and I'll show you someone that sprayed so much crap on the tobacco I'd never want to smoke it. Is C&D/GLP worse than others? All I've had personal experience with is an 8 ounce can of Opening Night that was riddled with mold. 8 oz in 50 lb sounds like a 1% problem to me which is well within my acceptable tolerances. I get a lot more concerned with SG blends, especially ones in the rectangular tins, than I do C&D/GLP.

I'm not trashing Pease at all. I love his blends. They've been among my favorites for years and I don't see that changing. I'm pointing out a noticeable change in the level of interest in him as a blender. He was like a rock star ten years ago, now when he releases something it doesn't make much of a ripple, much less a splash. Particularly compared against C&D lately. When they release some silly limited release nowadays, everyone goes ape-shit. Are C&D better blenders than Pease? I wouldn't say so. But they're way better at communication and keeping everyone fascinated with what they're doing. Pease used to do that too but he gave it up and it's had an effect.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm not trashing Pease at all. I love his blends. They've been among my favorites for years and I don't see that changing. I'm pointing out a noticeable change in the level of interest in him as a blender. He was like a rock star ten years ago, now when he releases something it doesn't make much of a ripple, much less a splash. Particularly compared against C&D lately. When they release some silly limited release nowadays, everyone goes ape-shit. Are C&D better blenders than Pease? I wouldn't say so. But they're way better at communication and keeping everyone fascinated with what they're doing. Pease used to do that too but he gave it up and it's had an effect.
For sure... new blends these days are mainly based on social media hype, it seems.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Davidoff Flake Medallions is one of undervalued those blends. It's every bit as good (or better) than Escudo. It's way better than LBF. It has great reviews on tobaccoreviews. Even so people don't talk about it much and it doesn't get hoarded. When a vintage tin comes up on pipestud it always goes for a comparatively low price. No idea why.
I've been eyeing that up. I actually don't particularly care for escudo, and I'm a virgina VA/per smoker 95% of the time.

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Understood. Perhaps Greg just got tired of it. It is a bit like running ads on Facebook for your business. You can't just show up now and then. You have to stay after day after day after day ..... At some point, you just get tired of it all and say the heck with it. I suspect Greg kept such a high profile for 2 reasons, promoting his product and ego. Perhaps he achieved the product success and financial security he was looking for. And perhaps his ego got saturated adequately.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I started smoking in 2001 Pease was the reigning prince of pipe tobacco. When he released a new blend it was like a holiday. The boards would rev with posts about his tobaccos, the stores would advertise the blend in the boldest fashion. References to his burgeoning website came fast, and his opinions on aging, especially, were gospel. His photography of pipes posted in his website was delicious.

It seemed he could do no wrong, and he didn't. But FDA did, and when deadline hits some 40% of his blends will be flushed. Think of it, to be an expert blender with a wide following, and to turn out sophisticated blend after blend and then have your earnings gutted. So if he seems quiet these days he is probably working on other ways of making money. In any case wouldn't a potentate take up a different dance when the money got bad?