PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I have read many of times, that the Mcclelland blends that we all drool over now, were quite underrated before they left the market, only to come into full fame after their death - much like any good lasting art does. And today I think most people gravitate around a select few brands (Cornell & Diehl, Peterson, Esoterica, and a few others).

There are so many other blends out there, that are not talked about - what are some of the deep sleepers. Ones that the community will truly miss when gone, but will not talk about until that day comes.

Asking for a friend...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 9, 2018
England
I have read many of times, that the Mcclelland blends that we all drool over now, were quite underrated before they left the market, only to come into full fame after their death - much like any good lasting art does. And today I think most people gravitate around a select few brands (Cornell & Diehl, Peterson, Esoterica, and a few others).

There are so many other blends out there, that are not talked about - what are some of the deep sleepers. Ones that the community will truly miss when gone, but will not talk about until that day comes.

Asking for a friend...

I don't see Germain's Brown Flake being talked about as much as it deserves but I think that's more to do with it being hard to get in America.
Another I don't see mentioned that often and I'd be gutted if it disappeared is Gawith's Louisiana Flake. A vaper that's a little bit different with a delicious mild chocolate topping.?

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
I don't see Germain's Brown Flake being talked about as much as it deserves but I think that's more to do with it being hard to get in America.
Another I don't see mentioned that often and I'd be gutted if it disappeared is Gawith's Louisiana Flake. A vaper that's a little bit different with a delicious mild chocolate topping.?

Seconded. Brown Flake is absolutely excellent. I had to leave London in a hurry a couple of days ago and I SO regret that I wasn't able to send a factory bag overseas.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
For real, I came here to say Louisiana flake! Very tasty indeed. Glad someone agrees with me. I've read pretty mixed reviews on it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
it's because you can't hardly ever find any Germain's here..

Jun 9, 2018
England
it's because you can't hardly ever find any Germain's here..
I've always wondered is Germain's harder to find than Esoterica in the US? To be honest whenever I've looked on the big American etailers I've never seen either in stock. I know when it comes to Esoterica people on the forum have had much more luck finding it at B&Ms but I don't really know what the situation is with Germain's.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Seconded. Brown Flake is absolutely excellent. I had to leave London in a hurry a couple of days ago and I SO regret that I wasn't able to send a factory bag overseas.
Yes I got a pouch just before all Hell started braking loose with the coronavirus and I'm so glad I did, Brown Flake is one of about 8 core blends I always like to have in my rotation of about 35 tobaccos.

I know Germain's Rich Dark Flake and Esoterica Stonehaven are supposed to be quite similar which got me wondering about Brown Flake, is their something along the same lines in the Esoterica range?

Jun 9, 2018
England
For real, I came here to say Louisiana flake! Very tasty indeed. Glad someone agrees with me. I've read pretty mixed reviews on it.
The mixed reviews might be to do with the topping, I think it's delicious and it makes for a vaper that's quite different. I love Samuel Gawith's (Irish) Spring Time Flake for the same reason, the sherry barrels it's matured in give it a unique taste. I didn't like it at first and after the first bowl I left it untouched in the jar for 6 months or so. When I eventually got round to giving it another try it started to grow on me. Now I enjoy it as a change of pace from my regular Vapers like St James & Dunhill Dark Flake, Louisiana Flake scratches that same itch.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
This is a really good question. Maybe not a 'deep sleeper' because GL Pease is well known, but I think Union Square is criminally under-mentioned. It's a great, relatively cheap, mixed bright and red VA flake that is excellent when fresh and divine when aged.
I definitely gravitate to anything with red Virginias in it - I just bought some bulk Sutliff Red Virginia and Matured Red Virginia - Have not been able to try yet but really looking forward to it.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
The mixed reviews might be to do with the topping, I think it's delicious and it makes for a vaper that's quite different. I love Samuel Gawith's (Irish) Spring Time Flake for the same reason, the sherry barrels it's matured in give it a unique taste. I didn't like it at first and after the first bowl I left it untouched in the jar for 6 months or so. When I eventually got round to giving it another try it started to grow on me. Now I enjoy it as a change of pace from my regular Vapers like St James & Dunhill Dark Flake, Louisiana Flake scratches that same itch.
Is the Louisiana Flake of reference Gawith and Hoggarth Louisiana Perique Flake? I see it referenced differently everywhere.. Haha. Also.. sold out everywhere, but on my list now!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I've always wondered is Germain's harder to find than Esoterica in the US? To be honest whenever I've looked on the big American etailers I've never seen either in stock. I know when it comes to Esoterica people on the forum have had much more luck finding it at B&Ms but I don't really know what the situation is with Germain's.
Yes, Germain’s is much more difficult to obtain here than Esoterica. Not that Esoterica is easy, but it drops much more often here.

As far as sleepers, I don’t think many american smokers put in the time or effort they really should in obtaining the plethora of cheap and very good European blends available through estervals, and not just HU, but many others as well.

People will often balk at the shipping costs, but as long as you make a decent size order, you are actually saving a ton of money because the tobacco is so cheap.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I definitely gravitate to anything with red Virginias in it - I just bought some bulk Sutliff Red Virginia and Matured Red Virginia - Have not been able to try yet but really looking forward to it.
That Sutliff Matured VA is good stuff! If the tang is too much for you, let it air out for several hours and it mellows out considerably.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, Germain’s is much more difficult to obtain here than Esoterica. Not that Esoterica is easy, but it drops much more often here.

As far as sleepers, I don’t think many american smokers put in the time or effort they really should in obtaining the plethora of cheap and very good European blends available through estervals, and not just HU, but many others as well.

People will often balk at the shipping costs, but as long as you make a decent size order, you are actually saving a ton of money because the tobacco is so cheap.
Very Interesting - I will take a look at that. I have purchased pipes from overseas, but most sites wont ship. Is this one of the only shops that does?

I have heard good on HU.. any others off the cuff?

Reactions: BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Very Interesting - I will take a look at that. I have purchased pipes from overseas, but most sites wont ship. Is this one of the only shops that does?

I have heard good on HU.. any others off the cuff?

Esterval’s does, as does Pfeifendepot but I much prefer Esterval’s, they also have great prices on Vauen pipes.

There are tons, but off hand HU is a must, Meistermischung, Dan St. Bernard Flake, Ascanian, Richmond Navy, Bjarne, and more all make great tobaccos. The prices and selection on DTM stuff is incredible as well. Last time I ordered Salty Dogs was $6, li

HU is the real gem though, huge variety of blends that are for the most part fantastic and cheaper than most US blends ($13-17 per 100g). Fayyum and Fayyum Kake, Directors Cut, LA Broken, Zulu, Indaba, Dockworker, and Old Fredders are my favorites so far.

You will also find a very large selection of Sam Gawith and Rattrays there, much more in stock than stateside, although the prices on those are pretty comparable.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: To see the correct lower sale prices, you must start an account and sign in before you shop. Its free and easy.

Also, shipping will take 2-7 weeks.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Davidoff Flake Medallions is one of undervalued those blends. It's every bit as good (or better) than Escudo. It's way better than LBF. It has great reviews on tobaccoreviews. Even so people don't talk about it much and it doesn't get hoarded. When a vintage tin comes up on pipestud it always goes for a comparatively low price. No idea why.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
This is a really good question. Maybe not a 'deep sleeper' because GL Pease is well known, but I think Union Square is criminally under-mentioned. It's a great, relatively cheap, mixed bright and red VA flake that is excellent when fresh and divine when aged.

My feeling is that Pease's reputation has been damaged over the past few years. Partly because of the reoccurring mold problem on his flakes and plugs. But also because he became semi-reclusive; no longer making blends for pipe shows and rarely posting, even on his own web site. While C&D's reputation has been steadily rising the last few years, Pease's has not.