PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Much to my chagrin I arrived home today to discover the box, returned to my doorstep marked undeliverable. I want to send this (back) out ASAP, but after a month plus, I want to confirm names and addresses. I will be sending out emails and PM's today, with the hopes of sending it back on it's way no later than Friday.
If you want to get involved, and don't see a PM from me, let me know.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Folks:

I would love to get in on the action if possible. Living in Mississauga, Ontario. It's an interesting concept and would give me an opportunity to try some really neat blends too...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Counting down the days to my sixmonthaversary. Dammit. That's a long time from now.
Can I get a "hell yeah" from an existing member to get added to the next Canuck Box Pass, instead of waiting out my probationary window?
-- Pat

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Wait, they are not letting you in on the box pass, pruss? If it's any help - you are getting my vote of confidence ;-)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Not sure about "not letting" the rules state that the member has to have been a member of the site for 6 Months, unless championed by a senior member in good standing... and I'm still a little young (at least here).
Thanks for the hearty vote of confidence hfearly. Greatly appreciated.
-- Pat

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'll second my vote of confidence on Pat. Adam, Pat is the other director of our fledgling pipe club and is very much an upstanding guy. I'll definitely put my name up for his trustworthiness. Also we can be next to each other in the box pass as we live close by each other. Send me a PM if you need more details.
Brian

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Yeah, Pruss is involved...Brad, you can ignore my spamming you; I dealt with my PM's before going through the posts today.
I'm just waiting to hear back from a couple of people, and the box will be on it's way - if I haven't heard back from them by Friday, I'll send it anyway and update the list to include them as needed.
Shutterbug, you can get involved before your six-month mark if you can find a member to vouch for you (as with Pruss). Usually this is done through an exchange of samples with an established member.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Hey guys , this sure sounds like a great idea. I really would love to get in on it if I can. I'm from Northern Ontario & finding tobacco up here is very difficult. This would sure help me out in finding different blends that I might like. Let me know if I can , thanks.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hiya folks.
I was wondering if we can get a re-hash of the rules of "Box Pass Club"? I know that the "What you have to do to qualify to participate in the box pass," exist on Page 2 of this thread... But for us new guys, is the general principle with the box to:
a) Take what you want

b) Give (at least) as much back
Is there anything else to consider?
Can't wait for the box to show up on my doorstep.... or at my Shopper's Drug Mart more likely.
-- Pat

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Well, it arrived. As luck would have it, I was out on the porch enjoying a pipe (loaded with Tudor Castle) on an uncommonly warm Winnipeg day. The post man walked up, handed me a box and said "Here's your shoes!". Luckily, it wasn't surprise shoes, it was surprise tobacco!
I opened it right on the porch, read the shipping instructions and quickly realized that I would need some space. A lot of space. Best let the pictures do the talking :)
They're big pics, click on the thumbnail to enlarge

1. The box, all loaded up. The aroma was fantastic

2. The spread. I think I counted 56 or 57 different varieties.

3. The close-ups

It was a little overwhelming. My girlfriend and I spent about an hour opening baggies and smelling the different tobaccos. It was fantastic to see only a few blends that I had tried. I set aside the "definitely try", and "maybe try" piles, and even then I feel like a kid in a candy store!
Tonight I smoked two bowls, Mac Baren Roll Cake and Alsbo Gold. I'm going to re-hydrate some of the others that caught my eye and give them a go. I think I'll pay a visit this weekend to my local Thomas Hinds and send along some Winnipeg blends, along with our own pipeinhand's Halfing's Leaf. I plan on sending the box out early next week to Ghost, as I'm sure everyone is looking forward to this bonanza landing on their doorstep.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Ooh, I miss that box! I can see some samples I left are still in there, plus a whole lot of other new ones.
Dude, this is going to sound so redundant but....Enjoy! :puffy:

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Hey, I would like to get in on this. Is it too late? I also think all the blends I have are already in there :( Maybe next time 'round..

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
If we still have room at the inn I'll stand up for Cavendish. Solid guy. Dedicated and discerning puffer. Active here on the forums. He'd be a good addition to the box pass.
-- Pat

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Judging by my time with the box, I'd like to point out that tobacco in baggies going through the mail repeatedly don't last forever... there should probably be some sort of an agreement on "expiry date", so that the baggie of "Bob's Discount Floorsweepings" doesn't spend the next decade circulating the country and getting drier and drier...
Please feel free to take the last of something that you really like. The fun of the box is in the novelty of blends you haven't seen before. Taking means more space for giving.
And for those who don't know the history of the rules, a couple of years back there were two US box passes, and one went missing. No one every copped to it, and it wasn't being tracked well enough to determine where it went missing. Personally, I believe it was confiscated, but the loss of the box meant that new rules were proposed and now Adam is doing a great job of organizing the Canadian box. The rules are there for our peace of mind, not some dictatorial urge.
Simon

Dec 24, 2012
I am interested in the box pass as well. I haven't been on here quite 6 months either but I can provide reference letters from my Aunt and my 5th grade math teacher.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Counting down the days to my sixmonthaversary. Dammit. That's a long time from now.
Can I get a "hell yeah" from an existing member to get added to the next Canuck Box Pass, instead of waiting out my probationary window?
-- Pat
I was unaware of the 6mo thing. I should read the rules I guess :P I'll vouch for Pat as well. He's a good guy, level headed and honest.
I would like to be in on the next CDA Box Pass if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.