PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I thought I had put the tracker #'s in one of my replies on here but looking I guess I didnt. I tossed the reciept a week or so after the box got to Edmonton. I'm going to do some digging into my computer and see if I can find record of it on here somewhere and I will post it. I haven't had any resopnse to my PM's to hunter so IDK what happened to it after I sent it to him.

I also sent another package to my friend in Calgary the same day. The box got to Edmonton before my package arrived in Calgary.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the update, Cav. While it's bummer that the box dropped off the radar, it's probably a good thing. We were due for a refresh anyway. Life's too short to get bent out of shape about where the box has gone...
I will say this, though, on a go forward I think it's imperative that photos be posted here on opening, and on closing the box, and that tracking #s be purchased and provided.
"Pics or it didn't..." Is a damn fine MO.
-- Pat

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I'm looking forward to a new box and new surprises... I can't wait. What goes on when we're all in the same city? Can I drive it over to the next recipient? What happened last time with all of the guys in the GTA, did you just drop off at the Smokestacks' burner?
Shutterbug

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That's what I and a couple of other locals did. Seems to make more sense than mailing, and it's cheaper, and we get to meet and smoke! :)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
We never brought the box to a club night as we thought was a little unfair, sharing the box with non forum members. We passed the box on to Cav at the GTA Pipers' burner and he payed it fwd to Hunter.
I'd say that if you know the next recipient and can meet them within a week after receiving the box, then passing it on in person is an awesome idea. Failing that, though, I'd rather it be moving on versus waiting for two folks to connect.
-- Pat

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
While it's bummer that the box dropped off the radar, it's probably a good thing. We were due for a refresh anyway. Life's too short to get bent out of shape about where the box has gone...
I will say this, though, on a go forward I think it's imperative that photos be posted here on opening, and on closing the box, and that tracking #s be purchased and provided.
Considering the box is mia and nobody is even that butthurt over it, even saying it's a good thing some guy just got it and kept like over 3 pounds of tobacco, which in Canada is worth about 6-700$, I don't really see the need for pics opening and closing the box. I think just getting it along to the next person asap is the key thing, considering not everyone may have a camera they can just click and shoot a pic then upload it to a computer, I know I don't. I think the tracking numbers are the important thing and being responsible with packing it neatly and keeping the sections in order. At least people should post what they took and what they put in if they can't post pics. Just my 2 cents.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I like the idea of posting a note something to the effect of:

I took XXX grams out of the box, I put XXX into the box. Enjoy!

Just thought I'd throw that in.
Shutterbug

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
We never brought the box to a club night as we thought was a little unfair, sharing the box with non forum members. We passed the box on to Cav at the GTA Pipers' burner and he payed it fwd to Hunter.
I think if club members contribute what they take the more the merrier frankly.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'd like to clarify my comment on it being a good thing that we refresh the box pass... In no way am I condoning taking the box and falling off the planet. I was simplify suggesting that the box itself was ready for a refresh as a lot of the tobacco was getting long in the tooth and flavours were mixing/melding together. Sure if folks don't have cameras then they should feel free to post differently, I like shutterbug's recommendation and would add that it would be nice to see what varieties of tobacco are being taken/added along with the weight. It is fun to see what appeals to whom and is likely to add to the dialogue. As for getting bent out of shape because the box went MIA.... I guess I just don't have the emotional energy to put into being wound up about that. It's a bummer, but life happens and we move on, learn to do this better and differently and keep having fun.
-- Pat

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
IMO, this is based on honesty and fun, if someone turns out to be dishonest, you simply remove him from the next box. I am new to this, but sure hope one bad apple doesn't spoil the fun.
Perhaps a sheet in the box, showing its original contents, then each successive person adds in their part and then marks off what they took out. That way a true record is kept, with possible notes to be placed in box. IE, I put this in for ......

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I like that idea too Pat. I didn't have time for pictures or anything. I wish I had kept the reciept from sending it as it had the tracking number on it. I tried to find it in computer history but it was long gone. 5 months has passed since I sent it

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Bumping again with the rules, and a reminder that if you want in the next round to PM me your info...
* Must be a member for minimum of 6 months or have a well established member vouch for you.

* Have at least 100 posts

* Provide all your contact info including phone number to box co-ordinator

* Currently living within Canada

* Have the financial means to pay for shipping a box across the country with tracking/delivery confirmation.

* Must agree to purchase tracking/delivery confirmation.

* Post pictures upon receipt.
Since we are starting a new pass, please PM me your full contact info and forum handle to be added to the new list that I'll be creating today. Make sure you qualify to participate as per the rules stated.
One thing I think would be very helpful- if you live nearby a fellow forum member, and you both are in the box pass, please let me know if you will be handing the box off in person. I will still add both addresses to the list, but we still need to know when and where the box is passed so we all know what's going on. Please confirm the pass here as if it was shipped to you.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I dont wish to be included in the next pass. I barely have time to smoke my pipes and tobacco I have now let alone go through a whole box again LOL!
I am game for another swap meet though....

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I think we'll definitely be scheduling another burner, swap-meet, pot-luck for the summer Cav. I was speaking with Eric from the Downtown Toronto Pipe Club and he'd be interested in co-coordinating something with his club. It would be nice to do something a little bigger although I get the sense that some of the downtown cats are a little less mobile than those of us who are outside TTC service areas... Anwyay, more to chew on.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Smokeybear and I are connecting today, he'll give me product for the box. I'll load it up this weekend and send it off to Ghost. Ghost will start the pass, which will cross the country before coming back to Smokey and ending with me.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
How many are we at, Ghost?
For those who are interested, I just received the box-starter kit from Smokeybear. I'll update with my inclusions and photos before sending it out this weekend.
-- Pat

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I have seven addresses on the list so far, and will add skapunk to that as well, so 8...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That's a healthy list to start with. If we all post pictures, or at least stories, plus tracking numbers and bring this thread and pass back to life, then the likelihood we pick up more passers along the way increases... or not.
Given the volume of tobacco in the box, and the limited number of passers, it will be even more important to take product out and keep the speed up on the pass.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.