PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I make mine similarly, but I use my dried, roasted jalapeños and anchos that I make each year. I also don’t use a blender, but I may try that.
I like mine over cornbread, mashed up, Southern style.

I have only recently discovered El Yucateco black sauce. I really like it, and I am not really a habanero fan. Really smooth.
I was told that I couldn't dry my Jalapenos. How do you do it?

Reactions: Puff nstuff
I was told that I couldn't dry my Jalapenos. How do you do it?
Really? That’s weird. Mexicans will dry them and hang them in pretty bundles in their kitchens. You can’t dry them bone dry, but raisin-like. I use a dehydrator and run them for almost a week, but you can just hang them in a dark place to dry slowly. At first, the smell will hit you like mace. Then, it turns to a wonderful aroma.
I then coat them in a fine layer of citric acid to prevent mold and then bundle them to hang in the kitchen pantry.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
When cooked for a long time the difference between the types disappears, in my experience. For this recipe I just grab two of whatever's handy.
For me slow cooked yellow vs. white, so I’ll go yellow! Beans secured, onion secured, that interesting sauce on the way(!), chilis the only thing I haven’t got yet - I have a Thursday night project!

Mar 1, 2014
Fart Factory!
Yes and no.
Yes, beans do give you "more gas" than most food.
At the same time, it's easy to assume that anyone who eats a pot of beans every week is going to sound like half a marching band every night, but the experience of the average person eating beans is only based on eating beans a few times a year, the problem is any deviation from your regular diet gives you bad gas, the microbial culture in your gut is tuned for only what you eat regularly.
If I avoid beef for over a month I still get the same "food poisoning" as a vegan would eating McDonald's for the first time, even though I've been eating pork and chicken daily.
It's exactly the same reason everyone gets diarrhea when they travel to a foreign culture, a dramatic change in diet cannot be digested instantly, you must introduce new food types slowly.

Reactions: Egg Shen

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I have a Thursday night project!

Excellentez!

Remember that a refrigerated rest is needed after cooking.

Without it, everything will seem too watery both in taste and texture. Also little aroma.

Store a couple days in the fridge and stir a time or two while resting, and WOW... everything will "bloom" as if by magic.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It sounds pretty good. As a practicing vegetarian who consumes vast amounts of pulses, lentils and peppers that methane production does fall off over time. I love vegan chili but I tend to use vegetarian crumbles as a meat substitute. If you use too much spice it is often advisable to put the toilet roll in the fridge especially if the spice is so intense that it becomes a 'ring' burner event!

• Love
Reactions: Egg Shen

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Excellentez!

Remember that a refrigerated rest is needed after cooking.

Without it, everything will seem too watery both in taste and texture. Also little aroma.

Store a couple days in the fridge and stir a time or two while resting, and WOW... everything will "bloom" as if by magic.
Haha, making it Thursday because it will accompany a "tailgate" recipe I found from a friend (Mexican influenced beef and Fritos, of all things) that we'll be chowing down (probably with a Corona and lime) for Saturday night's football game! My wife loves a good black bean dish, as do I! This seemed a perfect companion dish. And, Saturday night we may hit 29 degrees and there will be a healthy and real fire going!

Reactions: Puff nstuff

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
I lived in Cuba for 14 years and we ate Black Beans EVERY day due to food shortages. Everyone has a different recipe. The original recipe posted looks very good and I will try it. I never thought of the peppers, brilliant really. Traditional beans have bell peppers but the addition of the Thai chilis makes a lot of sense. Will add a bay leaf :)
Cheers

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
George we need to do a black bean crawl First up the Bahamas, next St Marteen, then Cozumel Mexico, then Jamaica and finally Cuba. We could do a Youtube version and get millions of hits and lots of dough. Between the two our sense of humors the video would go viral. Only problem we have to hire a woman to push me around in my wheel chair or you could do it. Or we could get hoosierpipeguy or even jesse.

Only problem we have to hire a woman to push me around in my wheel chair or you could do it. Or we could get hoosierpipeguy or even jesse.
Hey, I'll be happy to give you a push... really happy...
Laughter GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus