The Advantages of "Too Many" Pipes (Or "Too Few")

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Culling the herd is an interesting process. I gave four or five to a friend. I've traded in about a dozen for store credit. I've sent six or so to active duty military through a military chaplain here on Forums. These were mostly pipes that didn't remain appealing, that I didn't look forward to smoking. When I run my eyes down the racks, mostly I feel like I want to smoke most of them, if I haven't just done so. There's only one I'd have back, a lithe straight tapered stem billiard with dark red stain, a basket pipe "Made In London," that cracked where the shank met the bowl, and could have been repaired for another ten years of use. At least, it went to the friend. The more expensive ones, and the gifts, tend to be keepers, but even the discontinued inexpensive U.S. factory pipes that smoke really well don't feel disposable. My cobs are "permanent party," a term used for permanent members of the crew on a ship.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I have around 30 pipes. Most are collectors pieces for me. I enjoy owning them with no interest in smoking them. I have 10 or so pipes that I do smoke, however for what ever reason I only smoke 3 on a regular basis, and my moorgate almost always. It’s probably seen a 2000 bowls in the time I have owed it. It’s changed color, has a thin cake, and is well kept and loved. It’s just that one pipe that smokes and feels like no other.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Anything less than one pipe is too few pipes
If you have an infinite no of pipes, and still thinking on buying one more - you have the case of too many pipes

Everything else is “Just Right”

Did anyone coin that yet?

—-> TMP :LOL:

A1E8DC68-32E6-465C-82C6-42348B0A8464.jpeg

Mar 1, 2014
No shit. I’ve found the opposite to be true regarding chamber shape/size.

I often smoke VA in pots and aros/etc in narrow chambers.
Flakes?
Samuel Gawith Flakes?

The whole subject came about because a few years ago I had basically declared Flakes un-smokable because it doesn't matter how dry they are or how I pack them, the flakes won't burn.
One of the only logical answers I got in response was to try a narrow bowl.

That was just before I started a multi-year Orthodontic program so I haven't smoked a pipe since then, but in theory that's almost all wrapped up now and I should start experimenting again.

GDWTVB

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Dunkirk, NY
Once upon a time I had many pocketknives, close to a hundred, heck maybe more than a hundred. (Most of them cost at least fifty dollars, some nearly $500.) I finally looked in the mirror and decided that owning a closet full of unused pocketknives was pretty ridiculous. After all I carry just one a day, and after years of acquisition I just had a few favorites. A light nice knife for more formal wear, a heavy duty one for yardwork, another for hunting and then some that have sentimental value like my grandfather's stockman, and then tons of others that never saw the light of day in the closet. I liquidated 90 percent of my collection. I still might buy a new knife, but only as a replacement or upgrade of what I actually use.

Now about pipes... I have six. And plans on getting more. I have an idea, and I'm sure I may even possibly be able to stick to it.;) I plan to keep the best ones and get rid of the ones I don't care for as I purchase pipes. I'd like to avoid the accumulation of many pipes and instead create a collection of great pipes, but not more than I will actually use. I envision having a reasonable selection of pipes that suits my life and tastes, but I don't yet know what number of pipes that is... except it is definitely more than six.

I've never smoked a Meerschaum or a churchwarden, so they are on the wish list. I also have a couple less than excellent smoking pipes I picked up from estate sales. Both of those have been languishing on the side of the pipe rack unused in purgatory. I have decided to smoke both of the bad ones next and see if their incarceration has changed their behavior. If not, I will also add a billiard and author pipe to my wish list as replacements and part ways with those. To my eye, the author shape is one of the more appealing pipes, I'd love a great one...at least one that will pass a pipe cleaner. I need a sitting pipe, I'm thinking a sitting billiard would be a nice replacement for the poor smoking billiard I have.

So to summarize my long rambling answer, the appropriate number of pipes one should own is a loosely defined variable that is more than six yet has no clearly defined upper limit.

Grizz

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
one of our dear council president, Sandro Pertini, a great pipe smoker said: "I burn my bitterness and my bitterness is many, so I need many pipes."

Reactions: mso489

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
The benefit of a smaller number of pipes is that I can justify to myself that I spend a bit more on each pipe.

I have recently picked up my second artisan pipe for about $500. I am justifying this by selling off 8 of my unused pipes leaving me with 8 pipes in my collection.

I much prefer to have a smaller collection of pipes I'm really happy with and that I smoke regularly than a large collection that mostly doesn't get looked at or smoked.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My collection of pipes (around 55) is best described as eclectic. I don't have more than two from any particular maker except for the five Missouri Meerschaums that I own. (Make that 60 pipes total). That being said, I have some that never get smoked. I have some that rarely get smoked. I have maybe 20 that get smoked at least once a week.

I still buy an occasional new pipe but for the past two or three years, I've mostly bought estate pipes that fill a perceived gap in my collection. Lately, I've turned to buying accessories like interesting pipe stands and ceramic/stoneware tobacco jars.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think the answer to the question pretty clearly varies based on your view of a pipe’s purpose. If it’s purely (or even largely) a functional object the number will be fairly small (how many can openers do most people have?). If it scratches an aesthetic itch the number has no logical cap and is only governed by appetite, money, and perhaps guilt.

Still I’ll offer one more decidedly niche rationale for some number of surplus pipes: if you find yourself traveling to a specific different location other than your home on a regular basis (for whatever reason) you will have extra pipes to leave so you don’t have to pack them for each trip. Work could be an example (I used to live in Chicago and commute every week to NY for years). Or a personal example would be if you’re lucky enough to have a vacation home.

GDWTVB

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Dunkirk, NY
...Still I’ll offer one more decidedly niche rationale for some number of surplus pipes: if you find yourself traveling to a specific different location other than your home on a regular basis (for whatever reason) you will have extra pipes to leave so you don’t have to pack them for each trip...
I want to send you a big Thank You! You have just provided me with a rational to expand my collection! Doesn't everyone need a 'Beach' Pipe? A 'Mountain Vacation' Pipe, a 'Camping' Pipe, goodness the possibilities are endless.

Grizz