The Advantages of "Too Many" Pipes (Or "Too Few")

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have north of ninety pipes, and anyone not smoking pipes would say it is (ahem) an interesting collection but really too many pipes. Alternately, some Forums members would look at seven or ten pipes and might suggest they were maybe too few. On the subject of too many pipes, I would offer the following advantages:

1. Many pipes gives you a continuing sense of variety and even a little surprise when you discover another new gem amidst the lot.

2. Your pipes get endless rest, so by the time to you get back to a pipe, if you keep them clean, it is almost like new, or like a new-to-you estate.

3. Many pipes means pipes for every mood and purpose -- extra large, extra small, various materials, many shapes, many national origins, many brands, usually various price levels (and some of the inexpensive ones smoke as good as any).

4. Many pipes support the fantasy of going into a pipe shop and having a "new" pipe every time.

5. A lost pipe or breakage, while lamentable, is softened by the availability of so many pipes on hand.

Tell about the advantages as you see them of having severe pipe acquisition disorder.

However, if you enjoy keeping your stable spare, you can give the reasons you enjoy that. Savings! Few but more expensive pipes! Or whatever.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
MSO
While Granger has long ago conquered my TAD, I’ve contracted quite the case of PAD since joining this forum—I have a Parker Sandblast Billiard arriving Tuesday.

I have quite a modest collection of 25 at the moment (soon to be 26) and each pipe I acquire I promise myself is the last.

I think ? I’m good. I have half a dozen new estate pipes I haven’t smoked yet!

I find myself rotating between a chosen Briar and a Cob— the cob being a constant.

I keep the briar alongside the cob in the garage cabinet and will rotate in a different briar maybe once per week. Generally, I’ll have a second bowl in the cob after smoking the briar.

Like you, I find my once per day, peaceful hour or so a sufficient simple pleasure.

In all Honesty—I think I have too many pipes.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have way too many pipes...

But yes, there upsides to that. Many get a long rest. And a lot of the other reasons mentioned above.

The bulk of my pipe collection are in individual boxes in larger boxes and in a closet. Probably 1/3 of the pipes I own haven't even been smoked. Every so often I shift stuff from the closet into a largish rotation, and I discover something that hasn't been smoked in years that I can appreciate all over again. And sometimes I like to just give certain pipes away, because I just have so damn many of them...

As far as choosing a pipe to smoke, sometimes it's a blend that motivates me; other times it's one of the pipes that happens to be nearby in one of several racks. Or I'm prompted by something I see here.

I guess I could think of worse situations to find myself.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have way too many pipes...

But yes, there upsides to that. Many get a long rest. And a lot of the other reasons mentioned above.

The bulk of my pipe collection are in individual boxes in larger boxes and in a closet. Probably 1/3 of the pipes I own haven't even been smoked. Every so often I shift stuff from the closet into a largish rotation, and I discover something that hasn't been smoked in years that I can appreciate all over again. And sometimes I like to just give certain pipes away, because I just have so damn many of them...

As far as choosing a pipe to smoke, sometimes it's a blend that motivates me; other times it's one of the pipes that happens to be nearby in one of several racks. Or I'm prompted by something I see here.

I guess I could think of worse situations to find myself.
certainly better then having no pipes

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I recently went "over the edge" in terms of having too many pipes to move into the rotation to do all of them justice. But, dang if I don't absolutely love my recent additions. However, more than ever, I can say "no more." Easy to say when there are no more really attracting me. Will see what Peterson comes up with next, however. :LOL:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Being a strict weekend smoker, 150 pipes with a few more on the way, definitely more than I need. But even telling myself I don't need any more pipes, there are always ones I come across that I can't help but get. I love having a choice - pipes and tobacco.

I also have a lot of cigars, bought some years ago when I was smoking cigars exclusively. Since discovering the cigar threads on the Forums, I've been diving into my stash and re-discovering my love again.

Add to that the delicious dilemma of what drink to have with my smoke. I love my weekend smokes.

Rather like being in a restaurant with a great (not necessarily over-long) menu and wine list - I love the process of making my choice. Don't get me wrong - there are restaurants (old favourites) where certain items are a must have. So much so my wife will say "don't tell me you're ordering THAT again ! Why don't you try something new ?" ?

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I sometimes think i have too many pipes, but see and meet people with 50+ pipes and think that I'm not that out of control. But I'm not much of a collector and prefer to use the things I own and use them well. To each his own though and I do appreciate the art and beauty of each piece I own.

I have around 30 pipes and around half that are refurbished and for sale. I regularly use around 10. I find myself narrowing it down to the pipes I really enjoy smoking and stick to those, a few for each style of blend. Which, with me 3 bowls a day, I only need about 6-7 pipes for a good rotation. I find I actually prefer the taste when I don't let a pipe sit for too long without smoking it. Maybe a week or two tops. If it's sitting for longer, then I find it gets a little rank if it isn't throughly cleaned before it sits.

I used to get overwhelmed with which pipe to choose but now that I know what i like and I know what works with certain blends, I have narrowed it down to the best ones. I do have a nice meerschaum and clay, in addition to my briars and cobs, and that's where I like to switch it up, with the pipe material. I find that gives me a greater variation on a smoke than choosing between two well preforming pipes of the same material.