The Advantages of "Too Many" Pipes (Or "Too Few")

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
There's in my opinion a point, a number, around 15, after which no pipes are NEEDED, even by heavy smokers doing 10-12 bowls a day. I'm there now but keep eyeing pipes all the time. There are reasons why the number of pipes in my drawer is going to creep up:

• "Hey I always wanted a XYZ"
  • "Hey this is a good deal"
  • "Hey my wife/parent/friend asked me what do I want for Christmas/Birthday/XYZ"

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I've got 8 pipes, but most regularly use 3. Because I don't actually smoke more than 2 or 3 in any one setting, and because I have them dedicated to blend types, the low number of pipes works for me. I still shop around for pipes, but lately have been focused more on growing my cellar (in anticipation of ongoing negative legislation). I'm more concerned that I'll not be able to access quality leaf, whereas the smoking implements I have now will last me quite some time.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have both too many pipes and not enough.
My reasons for owning the pipes I own are varied. Most I bought to smoke. Some I bought not to smoke, but to have as part of my interest in Barling pipes. Some, like the unsmoked Lindbergh pipe, appeal to my interest in history.
Were my interest limited to smoking I would have too many pipes, but as my interests are broader, I don’t have enough.

Mar 1, 2014
The minimum viable pipe collection chart in my mind goes something like this:
There are four varieties of Tobacco you need to dedicate a pipe to (Virginia, Latakia, Aromatic, Lakeland).
-Four Pipes.
Multiplied by genres of stem shape (Bent, Straight, or Churchwarden).
-Twelve Pipes.
Multiplied by different chamber diameters for the different cuts (Narrow for Flakes, Wide Bowl for Ribbon Cut).
-Twenty Four Pipes.
Multiplied by different bowl heights to change the duration of a bowl (Tall vs Short).
-Forty Eight Pipes.
Multiplied by the different weights for different situations (Large comfy to hold at home pipes vs. Lightweight pipes for travel).

Bringing the total to Ninety Six Pipes for a Minimum Viable Pipe Collection.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Great beginning prelude to your question, mso, all great rationale for finding yourself amongst almost a hundred pipes.
When I started smoking a pipe, I had been retired for almost a year and was not able to be out and about with much vigor, so, the idea of finding enjoyment from this hobby really appealed to me.
I too, have about 90 pipes, and I have a lot of them on display, not that anyone ever see's 'em but me.
At first, honestly (?) heh heh, I had the idea that if I kept my estate pipe purchases to bargains, I might be
able to re-coup, or even profit at a later date.
Well, that idea is long gone, and I still find enjoyment, for all the reasons ole Tom mentioned, and I might add:
I like that I have pipes of all sorts of shapes, sizes, and materials, from all over the world.
I love the idea that I have a pipe made by a forum member who gave it to me, along with my most valuable pipe, another gift. ( Sav Auto Freehand 'o' grade, smooth straight grain, w/plateau rim.)
I find I smoke my cobs, Grabow estates, and a couple of meers most of the time, and I realize that I probably didn't need to buy all these pipes and racks, but, I've had a ball.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I have an antique pipe and tobaccor holder with six slots. I gave away two to a member here and so, I have one slot open.

The first one I got to is an MM Carolina Gent, second a MM Freehand, third a Kaywoodie 13b, then a HIS curved briar, and lastly a bulldog Kaywoodie that a friend gifted. I feel, for me, I have enough. And I only smoke one blend with Latakia.

While I love looking at used pipes on eBay, none grab enough attention to get me to make a bid. However, I know that sooner or later one will, and that last slot will be filled.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
The minimum viable pipe collection chart in my mind goes something like this:
There are four varieties of Tobacco you need to dedicate a pipe to (Virginia, Latakia, Aromatic, Lakeland).
-Four Pipes.
Multiplied by genres of stem shape (Bent, Straight, or Churchwarden).
-Twelve Pipes.
Multiplied by different chamber diameters for the different cuts (Narrow for Flakes, Wide Bowl for Ribbon Cut).
-Twenty Four Pipes.
Multiplied by different bowl heights to change the duration of a bowl (Tall vs Short).
-Forty Eight Pipes.
Multiplied by the different weights for different situations (Large comfy to hold at home pipes vs. Lightweight pipes for travel).

Bringing the total to Ninety Six Pipes for a Minimum Viable Pipe Collection.
This is just BRILLIANT, I'll send it to my wife...and expect the look below:

1618140372816.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an interesting thread. Seems like everyone has a somewhat different way of thinking about their accumulation of pipes, large or small. Pipes are fascinating possessions, just affordable enough (on a whole range of budgets) that there is often room for one more, as a self-reward, a curiosity, and what feels like a necessity sometimes. Any others are invited to post, since no two answers exactly fall in line with each other.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I had around 90 pipes when I shipped out 40 pipes to be sold. I have another dozen that need to go. I have a plan to own around 60 artisan made pipes that I love to smoke. I will have only one pipe that will not see any action. It is the first pipe I ever bought. I am at the point that I will never settle for anything that isn't a perfect smoke. I have so many years left and I refuse to settle for anything less than what I consider to be the best. I don't want to smoke a bowl and when I am done say to myself that was an ok smoke but t would have been much better if I had smoked it in one of my artisan made pipes.

A few of the pipes that are artisan made will be sold. There will be a Rad Davis, a few Ruthenbergs a Bruce Weaver and a few others. I Love my Jack Howells and plan on getting more. 60 pipes is a lot of pipes. I could easily get lower but for now I will stick with the 60.

The ;ipes I am selling are great pipes. Everyone is a great smoker. They smoke cool and dry and there is nothing wrong with them. They just don't fit into my new collection. Right now I have 22 Rad's,, 11 Howells, 10 Tuthenbergs, plus many others that are 3 or 1 , My Weaver Volcano will never be sold and there are others like that. There are only a couple of the Ruthenbergs I will move out. His pipes are some of my best smokers and I would never sell them.

As I make room I get to think about what will I like, what will catch my eye. Re doing a collection is really fun. I think this is my 4th time I have done this and each time I go in a different direction and I have bought better pipes every time. I buy pipes that I think will smoke my flakes the best. I have my strict criteria dimension wise and I don't change it for any pipe no,matter how good it looks. I have my eye on a few artisans and I am sure there will be really nice pipes to buy.