PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
It may be best to get the attention of Pence...
http://www.snopes.com/mike-pence-smoking/
Pence's editorial pertained to the role of "Big Government" with respect to adult tobacco use and largely railed against anti-tobacco legislation that he maintained impinged on individual freedom

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had a new Chief Judge with me on election day. In conversation during the long day, I asked where she worked. The FDA in DC.....but in HR.....dang.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Apparently the opportunity to have a constructive thread is hoping for too much. The crybabies can't stick with the issue. There is a bill pending in the House that will pass and will be signed and will move the deeming date to 2016. Letting our voices be heard is positive and productive. Thank you again DM for this thread.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It looked like this might go for awhile before getting political.... oh well :roll:
13716089_10153820907878367_7680007772348222811_n.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Best tactic on this is to wait until there is a new Sec'y of Health and Human Services appointed; give him or her two or three months to get settled. Then write your Congressional Representative and the Sec'y. Emphasize the business impact, especially the small business impact, especially citing any small businesses in your area. Do two separate letters. Keep it brief as you can -- max one single-spaced page -- and respectful, upbeat if possible. Doesn't mean it can't be forceful, just don't be adversarial with either letter. You might have to do this more than once, since priorities and experience of the appointee changes. Don't vent. Work with the machinery and the people that are there. People think of government as some sort of cabal. It's more like a large piece of machinery that can often be made to work with patience and a little knowhow.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If you write one, MSO489, it might be helpful to post an archetype so people can copy, edit and paste. Not everyone is as inclined to writing as you are, and in fact, many hate it. I understand that.
In my view, it makes sense to signal a point of view early and often and to create an identifiable group behind it. "Pipes and Cigar Smokers" might be too small of a group; "People in Favor of Robustly Enjoying Life" might resonate well with the minds of those who lead.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Let's see who is appointed Secretary of Health and Human Services. If I am not in the middle of household demands (medical) I may well draft something, although I would suggest people re-word and edit so it doesn't come over as one of these pre-printed postcard campaigns. Especially if I knew something about the appointee from the past, I might be able to direct it to their interests. I've worked under (far under) White Houses of both parties, and different political persuasions of both parties as well. Both notions are true. The administrations are radically different even within each party. They are totally different on various issues, even within one party. But the machinery of government, because of the size of this country, tend to be surprisingly similar even as they pursue different agendas. You can't re-invent the mechanisms of running something this size, whether you're a small government or big government oriented administration. Presidents and their staffs always act self-assured about running things. They are bluffing. But I would say from reading Forums, this group does not need much ghost writing from me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
No thread on a topic this close to the "edge" can last long. We have a few members can only present their viewpoint in the most objectionable manner possible as they believe this gives weight to their opinion. Further, every debate must be couched in "me against the world" terms and so, they can only respond with personal (ad hominem) attacks. They are incapable of civil discourse or debate. And, usually and thankfully, do not hang around very long. Perhaps they enjoy being disruptive and simply migrate to another site once they have over stayed their welcome here. Or, perhaps the chief nurse bans them from the ward's computer.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Was there a post removed from this thread?
Several were removed/edited...Al was trying to keep an interesting subject that's important to us all alive....

Status
Not open for further replies.