PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I like me a good cup of tea with my pipe, usually black - straight black, a Ahmad Tean no#1 English, or an Earl Gray or Darjeeling. Not too late at night though, during the winter I may have something less "keep you up at night" blend in the evenings..

Reactions: edger

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I've been to India a couple times. I have had the wonderful opportunity to go on tours at Temi in Sikkim, and at Glendale in Tamil Nadu. I was truly impressed at the agricultural management and the level of care in their estate. The Glendale which I brought back in large quantities did not last long enough. There's one grade you can get in Canada, but I question how fresh it is because it's just nothing like what I brought back. I suspect the American market has a better selection. I don't know. But I have to recommend the Nilgiri teas like Glendale. They don't get that astringency which you find in Ceylon teas, nor are they so dedicated to delicacy like Darjeeling (unless if you want it to).

Oct 13, 2014
Jackson, MI
I've been to India a couple times. I have had the wonderful opportunity to go on tours at Temi in Sikkim, and at Glendale in Tamil Nadu. I was truly impressed at the agricultural management and the level of care in their estate. The Glendale which I brought back in large quantities did not last long enough. There's one grade you can get in Canada, but I question how fresh it is because it's just nothing like what I brought back. I suspect the American market has a better selection. I don't know. But I have to recommend the Nilgiri teas like Glendale. They don't get that astringency which you find in Ceylon teas, nor are they so dedicated to delicacy like Darjeeling (unless if you want it to).

India is amazing. My wife is from there, up in the Assam region. Drinking India-origin teas in my household is a requirement. LOL

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I like Irish Breakfast black tea, with a spoon of heavy cream in it. I never take sugar in tea, unless I'm having it with some Iraqi friends at their grocery. Then it's hot diabetes in a tiny cup!

Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
I received my order of Punjana loose tea. I'm already liking it , not bitter and a very nice flavor. Drinking it black to get that pure tea taste. I can tell there's enough caffeine in this, and I can make it as strong as I like. Its pairing well with a bowl of red Virginia.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
About 10 years ago, I tried Yorkshire Gold. It was a very unforgiving tea. I steeped it for few min longer and was too bitter to drink. Since it was mentioned in this post, decided to try again. This time, it was much mellower. Either the tea changed or my taste buds are dead. Been enjoying it last few days. Still like PG Tips better.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
About 10 years ago, I tried Yorkshire Gold. It was a very unforgiving tea. I steeped it for few min longer and was too bitter to drink. Since it was mentioned in this post, decided to try again. This time, it was much mellower. Either the tea changed or my taste buds are dead. Been enjoying it last few days. Still like PG Tips better.
nope it's a beast with how sensitive it is.

Reactions: edger and bullet08

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
HU-KWA from Mark T Wendell in Massachusetts. One of my favorite teas. Amazing, rich, dunno what else...worth a try if you like a smokey tea.

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
I know that the water also has an influence on the taste etc. But steeping time too, Ive left tea in a cup until it cooled and it was bitter like that. Also I would imagine that tea could change a little from year to year, depending on the climate changes ?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
My go-to loose leaf teas are Lapsang Souchong and Coconut Oolong. I enjoy trying all sort of tea though (much like beer and tobacco), but haven't acquired any new tea for awhile now as I try to drink through some of what I have already. 'Tis the season though now that the weather has turned colder again!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I received my order of Punjana loose tea. I'm already liking it , not bitter and a very nice flavor. Drinking it black to get that pure tea taste. I can tell there's enough caffeine in this, and I can make it as strong as I like. Its pairing well with a bowl of red Virginia.
Good for you! There is a long history of discerning tea blending in Belfast, particularly with the Thompson family. I like it with a small amount of milk but never any sugar.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I know that the water also has an influence on the taste etc. But steeping time too, Ive left tea in a cup until it cooled and it was bitter like that. Also I would imagine that tea could change a little from year to year, depending on the climate changes ?
Still living in same area. Not sure why the tea's behaving so nicely. It's a good brew.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Liptons tea with organic honey and a splash of milk.
At least two mugs first thing every morning with a bowl of mild tobacco.

Black tea all the way. Not a fan of fancy perfumed poofy blends.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
In regard to the OP, I rarely drink tea with a pipe. My go to is black coffee in the morning. I am a big fan of a roaster called Counter Culture. The rest of the time it is water. The only time I really enjoy a cup of tea is before bed. I tend to reach for some kind of Sleepy Time tea.