PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m a big fan of tea. I like all the breakfast variety; Irish, Scottish, English. I love Lapsang and Earl Grey too. In the Winter, my go to is Twining’s Chai Tea with vanilla. I also like Oolong teas a lot.

In the summer it’s, black, iced tea, lightly sweetened with a splash of rose water, it pairs great with a pipe.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Liptons tea with organic honey and a splash of milk.
At least two mugs first thing every morning with a bowl of mild tobacco.

Black tea all the way. Not a fan of fancy perfumed poofy blends.
Just to add; I love coffee as much as the next person.
Over 30 years ago my GP advised me that I must give up alcohol, cigarettes and coffee when I was diagnosed with duodenal ulcers.

He'd been on my back for years about my love for nicotine and bourbon so he thought he had a win when I started to say ''Alright, alright ...... I'll give up the coffee.'' :)

I'd grown up in a house of tea drinkers [when it was actually brewed in a pot] so switching to tea was easy.
Tea is much healthier and far less addictive than coffee.

Since then I'll have a coffee maybe twice a year. Always a decent coffee from an espresso machine. With a shot of sambucca if I'm lucky.

Reactions: edger

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Oolong drinker here, I find it goes with a lot of different blends, and if you are looking for something different, give it a go.

Speaking of teas, I’m going to have to give some Tulsi (Holy Basil) a go next time.

Happy Puffing - PipeIT :)

Reactions: smknron and jpmcwjr
I drink tea so occasionally that I never have the right ingredients at home / too lazy to do it properly

1. I like mid grade Darjeeling Orange Pecoe - Second flush or mixed. I hate the steeping process, so a few boxes are collecting dust in the cupboard. Without milk and sugar

2. Very occasionally I have an urge to drink a strong liquored Assam with milk, sugar, green cardamom and saffron. I need to get some Assam

3. Most of the time (2-3 times a week) I drink the Lipton black tea. One minute forty seconds in microwave, dip 2-3 tea bags and ready in another four minutes - Instant tea! Sometimes I would do the sugar,milk, cardamom, saffron recipe with Lipton, but unfortunately it is so middle of the road it does not taste great in either of the two recipes.

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
I needed a change of pace. I've been drinking coffee so much that I kind of forgot how much I enjoy a good cup of tea. Growing up, in our home, there was always a percolator going on the stove and my mother would say, "I'll pour you a cup", or "sit down have a cup of coffee and talk to me." When I got married, my wife was British and my mother in law loved it, so I was introduced to some good tea and got used to that too. Now I'm back to loving it. I like to drink it with no milk and no sugar, just like the iced tea I drink. The best cups I enjoy are that first cup in the morning and after dinner.

Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Equal Exchange tea(and coffee) is damn good - Thompsons Pujana Scottish is excellent - I want to try this form of smoked tea like a lapsang from India - it's an Assam called Hatidubi - simpson and vail carry it - I'll probably order some soon enough - right now I've got enough tea.

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
English blends usually get paired with Yorkshire & milk (occasionally sugar); sometimes Rooibos Earl Grey & milk. I always use full-fat whole milk. I'm awaiting delivery of Barry's Decaf tea, which research tells me is the closest thing to an authentic caffeinated tea.

A pairing that has sent me over the moon recently is a creamy, complex, sophisticated English or Balkan (e.g., Plum Pudding or John Cotton's) with Mariage Freres Marco Polo tea, with milk and minimal demarara sugar. The tea is about as expensive as the exclusive tobaccos on the market, so it counts as a luxury.

I've always disliked girly fruity teas, but the Marco Polo is very different, an exceptional blend employing natural strawberry (that initially comes off as apricot) with floral note and excellent, rich black tea.

Burley blends usually take Yrgacheffe coffee with cream, or hot Raw Cacao/Maca/Lions Mane with milk.

Aromatics might go with plain black tea or iced tea, occasionally with lemon.

Reactions: edger

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone tried pairing smoking and rooibos? I recently saw it recommended for cigars, but I haven't been able to try it, as I can't get to my favorite tea shop due to the covid lockdown.

I do occasionally have either plain or Earl Grey Rooibos with milk and a bit of sugar while enjoying a smoke. I double bag it, because I find the flavor lacking compared to good black tea.

With the cold weather coming on, I'm inclined to fill a thermos with sweet Chai Rooibos once in a while, especially with blends that feature Orientals, or bright Aro-Englishes. But then afterward I sometimes crave earthy middle and deep notes, so I might have a second bowl containing Burley, which goes best with a coffee or Cacao, though I don't make a trip back home just to brew it. I guess for me Prince Albert is the palate cleanser, though I dream of HH Old Dark Fired most often.

Reactions: smknron and Grovius

Raylan

Lurker
Nov 16, 2020
I have a checkered history of teas. First with my English/Welsh grandmother who would take loose leaf green tea and throw it in a screwtop metal ball and then fill the teapot with boiling water. She would pour a ton of sugar into her cup but never stir it just pour the tea on top and repeat until eventually it was used up. Then there was my mother who would boil the crap out of a few bags of black tea on the stove in a pan then let it set and cool then if you wanted ice tea you got ice poured the concentrated tea in your glass and then cut it with water. Lastly I started drinking hot tea - "constant comment" as a teenager cause it was what we had and after the parents switched to decaf coffee I couldn't drink it as it hurt my stomach - I think it was the chemicals they used then to decaffinate it.

Then as a young man I dropped all the coffee and tea for beer and whiskey. After getting up to more than a quart of whiskey a day (ah there was something about scotch and being irish), prudence suggested that I consider other beverages. Back to strong black regular coffee, the kind you can stand a spoon up in. Age has mellowed my desire for the strength of my coffee and work has dictated a simple and efficient brewing method so I now use a Bunn coffee maker with Duncan or McDonalds coffee (add placement here). On rare occassions that I do drink tea it is mostly sweet tea or occassionally an earl grey with some sugar. But with pipes I must confess that I prefer my coffee. Typically drink about 2 to 2 1/2 pots a day, usually with a touch of sugar and splash of creamer in my dotage.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Reactions: edger and smknron