PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Winton, it takes "playing" with the exposure and sometimes tweaking the image a bit. Most of my posts for her are done with iPhone 4S camera and sometimes edited with Snapseed I don't think I did any tweaking on that photo, other than the collage I made in Diptic.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Okay, here is the tamper I made for the trade:
image-12.jpg

It is "Tennessee Trail Wood", a piece of root we picked up somewhere I'm the Smoky Mountains last fall. I carved it with a Dremel sanding drum and sandpaper. It's waxed, left natural, with no stain/oils. I like the natural look of this piece so I decided not to stain it as I'd originally planned.
My son did mount the .45 ACP casing on the base for me while he was working on some others for himself. The primer in this one is "live" but he's assured me it won't go off while using it. :crazy:.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I love wood that has cool grain. This tamper has an interesting shape also. Tennessee Trail? Is that related to mystery wood, or is it in the FOG (found on ground) family of trees?

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I do, too, Winton. I went with the general shape the wood wanted to be: Meaning it was kind of this shape and I adjusted it! :rofl:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Cool tamper Greg! Nice color and grain. I sometimes use a similar wood,'cept it's called "Ozark Trail".

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
I'm in, sorry about the terrible camera quality it doesn't show off the tampers beautiful grain, .410 brass shell / cherry wood tamper.
img2013012700295.jpg

img2013012700294.jpg

img2013012700292.jpg

img2013012700290.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Interesting shape Uber. Sometimes the fun of a tamper is how it feels in the hand. At the last pipe show, someone gave me a metal tamper. It feels awesome in the hand, but has such a small head, it does a lousy job of tamping.
Pipe8, Cherry has great coloring. Alas, I also have trouble with photography.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks, Ed. I forgot to mention when I was using the Dremel it smelled mind of fruity, maybe almost like pears or apples, not sure.
I love seeing all the different styles we each come up with. And am glad to see more folks jumping on board!

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks Winton, yours too is a thing of beauty! I want to get a lathe to do wood work, but I know nothing about them (mine was done with a Steven Wade Cox Bush craft knife and sand paper)

The brass actually has quite a lot of sentimental value to me, I shot my first clay many moons ago with a .410 and this cartridge I needed some way to remember it and this seemed fitting! :)

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I'd love to have a lathe, too. But like you, pipe8, know nothing about them. I thought about trying to get a mini lathe to start with, figuring I could do tampers, stems and maybe pens, among other small things. I don't have a lot of money or room to throw into it so it all may remain a wish… for some time at least.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am working on mine. Will post some before and after pictures once I am done. In my mind I see something that is of the steampunk genre, lol but in front of me is something completely different. Always happens. O well.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
@canundad Thank you. I just, more or less, followed the natural shape of the wood. Or as an artist would say "I let the wood take the form it desired to be" 8)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
With a week and a half left to go, we have five tampers with pictures. Feel free to jump into the fun. The exchange will end on Saturday pm 2/23.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey I'm gonna have to step out of this one, had some things come up that are going to keep me out of the shop for awhile, I'll get in on the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.