PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
How tall are you? if you're over 5'7", you will be far from comfy. Same goes for carrying some extra poundage.
They are terribly unreliable, expensive to repair, hard to get parts for, suck back gas and are so catastrophically slow that an E-Bike will leave you in it's dust.
I know, since I was looking at them real seriously before getting my 911.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Couple of things:

- you can't "put the top down" on a 308 - targa top only (buy a Miata)
- as Sable mentioned, maintenance is a nightmare, plan on getting real friendly with your closest Ferrari mechanic, when you find one, most big urban centers have one, rural, forget about it.(buy a Miata)
- the 308 is slower than you might think versus a modern (close to 7 seconds 0-60). You'll get dusted buy that kid in the turbo Subaru or Mustang, it's not even close. Although you will sound like a million bucks eating dust.

My buddy owned a 308 and a 208. He runs a service center here and is quite capable. He finally tired of the endless, incredibly challenging maintenance needs of both, selling each for a loss (he bought them in the speculation years, paid too much. I helped him pull the motor to change out the belts and alternator. (Buy a Miata)

My '79 MGB requires enough maintenance that I would say "buy a Miata".

So in the end, buy a Miata.

Couple of things:

- you can't "put the top down" on a 308 - targa top only (buy a Miata)
- as Sable mentioned, maintenance is a nightmare, plan on getting real friendly with your closest Ferrari mechanic, when you find one, most big urban centers have one, rural, forget about it.(buy a Miata)
- the 308 is slower than you might think versus a modern (close to 7 seconds 0-60). You'll get dusted buy that kid in the turbo Subaru or Mustang, it's not even close. Although you will sound like a million bucks eating dust.

My buddy owned a 308 and a 208. He runs a service center here and is quite capable. He finally tired of the endless, incredibly challenging maintenance needs of both, selling each for a loss (he bought them in the speculation years, paid too much. I helped him pull the motor to change out the belts and alternator. (Buy a Miata)

My '79 MGB requires enough maintenance that I would say "buy a Miata".

So in the end, buy a Miata.
We have a guy who belongs to a Miata club in our pipe club, and we've met at the same place, same time a few times. Really interesting people, and Mrs Cosmic is all in on the Miata as well. I will just stick to the plan.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
It's interesting how I have never seen but one or two Subarus in Alabama. But, up in North Carolina, I think it is required by the state that you own one.
Pretty much anywhere there's snow having an all-wheel drive vehicle definitely helps LOL luckily I've never had to deal with any of that. Only concern I've ever had is not getting a black on black vehicle so that the inside of the vehicle in summertime isn't reaching 250° LOL my Camaro was black on black leather interior factory non AC car. If you wanted to sweat all the toxins out of your body 3 to 5 minutes in that baby in summertime and you would probably lose two or three pounds of water weight LOL it was mostly driven in the fall with the T-tops off.

Pretty much anywhere there's snow having an all-wheel drive vehicle definitely helps LOL luckily I've never had to deal with any of that. Only concern I've ever had is not getting a black on black vehicle so that the inside of the vehicle in summertime isn't reaching 250° LOL my Camaro was black on black leather interior factory non AC car. If you wanted to sweat all the toxins out of your body 3 to 5 minutes in that baby in summertime and you would probably lose two or three pounds of water weight LOL it was mostly driven in the fall with the T-tops off.
The new car will merely be a toy for vacations. I will always keep 2 trucks, a truck for the farm and one for my everyday driver. I am always hauling something somewhere. And yes, AC and a good stereo is essential for my everyday driver.
I'm not sure if I would enjoy a Subaru as our toy car. If I lived in NC all year, AWD would be essential as an every day driver.

Snow... the very idea gives me anxiety.

Reactions: That Guy
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
The new car will merely be a toy for vacations. I will always keep 2 trucks, a truck for the farm and one for my everyday driver. I am always hauling something somewhere. And yes, AC and a good stereo is essential for my everyday driver.
I'm not sure if I would enjoy a Subaru as our toy car. If I lived in NC all year, AWD would be essential as an every day driver.

Snow... the very idea gives me anxiety.
Was thinking of how it would perform on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not sure if they have a sun roof however.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How tall are you? if you're over 5'7", you will be far from comfy. Same goes for carrying some extra poundage.
They are terribly unreliable, expensive to repair, hard to get parts for, suck back gas and are so catastrophically slow that an E-Bike will leave you in it's dust.
I know, since I was looking at them real seriously before getting my 911.
What's all this talk about maintenance?? Cosmic will do what many Alabamians do: Just leave it in the front yard, with or without blocks.
<ducks and runs>