PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
Do it! Will be awesome rocking the theme song in it, haha

I did something somewhat similar in May, but I seen it, test drove it and brought it home to a confused wife. Traded in my newer 4 door car for this 2014 ELR. Almost non-existent trunk, rear seats all but unusable except for my 7 year old son, but damn if it is not a looker. Gets 35 miles electric/300 miles on a tank of gas and bargain priced.

Attachments

• 580F8DCB-50A4-4DE7-B6B3-DC6D4A6389D7.jpeg
    580F8DCB-50A4-4DE7-B6B3-DC6D4A6389D7.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 12
  • D586205D-1738-45B1-87E9-661003775BB2.jpeg
    D586205D-1738-45B1-87E9-661003775BB2.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 11
A two seater would not fit my lifestyle. Among other amenities, the Forester has a huge sun roof .
After decades of raising kids, for the first time, I can actually own a two seater. Even my truck is a damn king cab. So, our original plan, which I will probably stick to, is a newer convertible for our toy car next year. Something to just get out and explore in with the top down, maybe ride the Blue Ridge, etc...

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
After decades of raising kids, for the first time, I can actually own a two seater. Even my truck is a damn king cab. So, our original plan, which I will probably stick to, is a newer convertible for our toy car next year. Something to just get out and explore in with the top down, maybe ride the Blue Ridge, etc...
Love the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Well, I am blessed with grandchildren and no need to just have two along for the ride.

One of the girls and I mountain biked Monte Sano this past Sunday. She’s 10.

And, my vehicles all have Yakima racks. We do whitewater.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I looked at buying that exact model back in the late 90s (for about that price too) and all my research including talking with mechanics and owners said RUN don’t walk away. The maintenance and upkeep is nightmarish (and don’t even consider buying a cheap Rolls they’re even worse) so I passed.

Having owned several vintage European cars in the US it really comes down to how you plan on keeping it running. If you’re a skilled mechanic with a lot of tools and knowledge and importantly a lot of spare cash then it’s realistic. If you have a best friend named Enzo or Antonio it helps. If you aren’t in one of those categories you should slam your fingers in a locked car door and chew on tinfoil whilst stomping on hot tacks just to get warmed up to the reality of the vintage sports car ownership.

Seriously. I swore off that game despite having a lifelong love for these lovely autos - they are magnificent machines!!! But I just got so damn frustrated with spending all my time and money trying to keep them running and in the end the fun factor wasn’t enough to justify the enormous PITA factor and I literally gave away my last sports car to a great friend who had spent god knows how many hours under the hood wrenching on it trying to help me once I got into a jam that I couldn’t figure out.

Love the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Well, I am blessed with grandchildren and no need to just have two along for the ride.

One of the girls and I mountain biked Monte Sano this past Sunday. She’s 10.

And, my vehicles all have Yakima racks. We do whitewater.
Very cool, we have a cabin in the booney's east of Hot Springs. My wife is from Mars Hill, so that area in our home away from home.

I looked at buying that exact model back in the late 90s (for about that price too) and all my research including talking with mechanics and owners said RUN don’t walk away. The maintenance and upkeep is nightmarish (and don’t even consider buying a cheap Rolls they’re even worse) so I passed.

Having owned several vintage European cars in the US it really comes down to how you plan on keeping it running. If you’re a skilled mechanic with a lot of tools and knowledge and importantly a lot of spare cash then it’s realistic. If you have a best friend named Enzo or Antonio it helps. If you aren’t in one of those categories you should slam your fingers in a locked car door and chew on tinfoil whilst stomping on hot tacks just to get warmed up to the reality of the vintage sports car ownership.

Seriously. I swore off that game despite having a lifelong love for these lovely autos - they are magnificent machines!!! But I just got so damn frustrated with spending all my time and money trying to keep them running and in the end the fun factor wasn’t enough to justify the enormous PITA factor and I literally gave away my last sports car to a great friend who had spent god knows how many hours under the hood wrenching on it trying to help me once I got into a jam that I couldn’t figure out.
A friend of mine has two Jaguars. You have to own them in twos, one to drive while the other is in the shop.
James May has just talked me down from the ledge.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
A friend of mine has two Jaguars. You have to own them in twos, one to drive while the other is in the shop.
James May has just talked me down from the ledge.
I'm glad he didn't buy that damn scrap in the end.................and invest your money in something better...........