PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Gawith must have really toned down the sauce in the latest batches then, because I had to open the baggie it was in before I could smell it! The batch of Dark Flake Aromatic I got in the mail today just has a faint cedar chip aroma to it, which is pleasant but much milder smelling than I was expecting.

Just tell me that War Horse Green doesn't taste like mothballs like War Horse Bar did (to me at least) and I'll be happy! 🤣
Totally different. It's like smoking a black jelly bean.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I think you need some 1792 Dark Kendal Flake in your life…

1792 is some wild stuff! Smells like a Black Cat firecracker, tastes like a pandan bonfire, and will turn your brain (and possibly stomach if you're not careful) inside out! I still remember being bedridden for a good 9 hours after the first time I smoked it, but I've been a lot more cautious and respectful of the 1700's beast since then. 😅

Reactions: Speak Easy

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
@Skippy B. Coyote don't listen to these guys. They're all just a bunch of lousy enablers. I was a one-tin-at-a-time type guy four years ago. Then I got the lucid, positively Einsteinian idea to listen to this lot (especially @Sobrbiker ; I bet he doesn't even have real horses, they're probably just AI generated or something). What a trainwreck I have become! I've got three dozen jarred blends, upwards of a dozen pounds in tins, and anywhere between one and two dozen more in bulk. My bank account looks like Dresden after the 1944 firebombing, wifey has actually incorporated the term "Laudisi" into everyday conversation (and, curiously, never in a positive way), and yet I'm still checking daily for deals, and worse yet, browsing on TinBids from time to time. And all because I listened to these godforsaken tempters! Curse the lot of 'em!!

Wait, did I say that out loud? Just ignore me, I've no idea what I'm talking about anyway. After all, I'm checking out TP's Sutliff bulk sale, and multitasking was never my strong suit...

🙃

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
@Skippy B. Coyote don't listen to these guys. They're all just a bunch of lousy enablers. I was a one-tin-at-a-time type guy four years ago. Then I got the lucid, positively Einsteinian idea to listen to this lot (especially @Sobrbiker ; I bet he doesn't even have real horses, they're probably just AI generated or something). What a trainwreck I have become! I've got three dozen jarred blends, upwards of a dozen pounds in tins, and anywhere between one and two dozen more in bulk. My bank account looks like Dresden after the 1944 firebombing, wifey has actually incorporated the term "Laudisi" into everyday conversation (and, curiously, never in a positive way), and yet I'm still checking daily for deals, and worse yet, browsing on TinBids from time to time. And all because I listened to these godforsaken tempters! Curse the lot of 'em!!

Wait, did I say that out loud? Just ignore me, I've no idea what I'm talking about anyway. After all, I'm checking out TP's Sutliff bulk sale, and multitasking was never my strong suit...

🙃
I just got that half pound of Match Victorian hitting the free shipping at SP, then I got the email on the Sutliff bulk at TP-probably gonna have to run up another “free shipping” order….

Regarding AI-oh hell no! I’ve seen Terminator, this story isn’t going to end well.

Anyway, I concur there’s some seriously bad influences here.

• Love
Reactions: Servant King

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN

🙃

That seems to be a problem most everyone runs into after enough time in this hobby! I'm going into my third year of pipe smoking and at this point my cellar has reached just shy of 100 blends (including the ones that arrived today) stashed away in 8 ounce Ball jars or unopened tins and I'd really like to thin it down to just the ones I enjoy the most, so I decided to make a two year project out of it and every Sunday pick a blend in my cellar and smoke that blend every day for a week. If I'm not sick of it and am still enjoying smoking it after a week then it's a keeper, and if not then it goes in the sell/giveaway box.

Thus far the only blends I've determined to be definite keepers are Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices and Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia, and I am allowing myself to smoke verified keepers for my second or third bowl of the day after having the blend of the week. It'll be a long process going through them all, but I figure smoking a blend every day for a week should be enough time to properly evaluate it, and when the project is done in a couple years I'll have a much more manageable cellar and a solid idea of what to deep cellar for long-term enjoyment.

This week's blend of the week has been Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake, which ended up being a little too mild and bland tasting for my liking and will likely wind up in the sell/giveaway box come Sunday, but for next week I'm thinking it'll either be Erinmore Flake or War Horse Green if I'm feeling brave.puffy

Reactions: Servant King