Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hearing the words, "Taco... Bell," together makes my stomach start doing flip flops. I just can't do grease these days. I just don't see actual Mexican peoples at Taco Bells down here.

We have a few Mexican Grills here that do a much better food, and I get to enjoy my pipe out on the patio after dinner. Give me a plate of fish tacos any day. I just avoid the obvious clichés on the menu like burritos or chimichangas.

1622644689141.png

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Just because many in America have Cuisinarts doesn't mean America has a cuisine. I went to Oaxaca once and the food tastes very good there but after two weeks I was excited to come back and toss a salad at home. It is hard to find a good Al Pastor taco here, they put too much meats inside. Did you know Al Pastor is adopted from Turkish food?
Yes, I do. Much of Mexico's food is a fusion of so many other foods from around the world. Just begin with their beer. German influences everywhere.

When I think of Mexican - I look for places where the tortillas are hand pressed and tossed, the spices and vegetables are ground on a molcajete with a mano. The corn has been soaked in lye, rinsed, and then ground on the metate. The food is grilled, the chilies are roasted, and the cheese is white and crumbly, and everything is fresh. The fish are just off the dock, cleaned, and ready to eat. Lobsters are grilled and the chips are cut from tortillas and still hot from the comal. It's a short drive to find such places.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yes, I do. Much of Mexico's food is a fusion of so many other foods from around the world. Just begin with their beer. German influences everywhere.

When I think of Mexican - I look for places where the tortillas are hand pressed and tossed, the spices and vegetables are ground on a molcajete with a mano. The corn has been soaked in lye, rinsed, and then ground on the metate. The food is grilled, the chilies are roasted, and the cheese is white and crumbly, and everything is fresh. The fish are just off the dock, cleaned, and ready to eat. Lobsters are grilled and the chips are cut from tortillas and still hot from the comal. It's a short drive to find such places.
Sounds like a wet market

Jan 27, 2020

But, the complexity of the mole sauces as you mentioned, is a counterpoint to the simplicity of the grilled aspects of the cuisine.

telescopes

I just avoid the obvious clichés on the menu like burritos or chimichangas.

View attachment 82716
The burrito - Invented in San Bernardino, California. The Chimichanga - invented in Tucson, Arizona. What, you have something against American cuisine? Ha, Ha. Next, you'll be telling me you only eat authentic Mexican foods like Fajitas! Or, you like your tacos puffy with lots of yellow cheese on top. Jeez,

Jan 27, 2020
The burrito - Invented in San Bernardino, California. The Chimichanga - invented in Tucson, Arizona. What, you have something against American cuisine? Ha, Ha. Next, you'll be telling me you only eat authentic Mexican foods like Fajitas! Or, you like your tacos puffy with lots of yellow cheese on top. Jeez,

American food doesn't have enough variety of dishes that deviate from their influences to be considered a cuisine. It's about not having anything against American food than a matter of fact.

Jan 27, 2020
Just hearing the words, "Taco... Bell," together makes my stomach start doing flip flops. I just can't do grease these days. I just don't see actual Mexican peoples at Taco Bells down here.

We have a few Mexican Grills here that do a much better food, and I get to enjoy my pipe out on the patio after dinner. Give me a plate of fish tacos any day. I just avoid the obvious clichés on the menu like burritos or chimichangas.

View attachment 82716

You could be a product developer at Applebee's.

Reactions: BROBS

telescopes

I asked my students this morning if Taco Bell and Del Taco serves Mexican Food. The consensus was unanimous. Yes. Mexican Fast Food. Given that everyone of my students but one is either 0 generation or first generation from Mexico, I'll let their verdict stand. I shared with them the view points posted on this thread and they seemed confused that anyone would think Taco Bell wasn't a Mexican restaurant. I assured them that they needed listen more to White people so that they they can be better informed about their own culture and what is or isn't authentic Mexican food. (Na, I didn't say that last part, Ha, Ha.)

By the way, children have an amazing sense of humor.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
My wife (severely lactose intolerant & gluten intolerant) once asked a local Mexican themed restaurant about their use of cheese in their menu items. Best sense I could make about what she told me they said, was that cheese is cooked into just about everything they serve. So we don't' get to try there (I'm only allergic to cheese for some reason).

telescopes

My wife (severely lactose intolerant & gluten intolerant) once asked a local Mexican themed restaurant about their use of cheese in their menu items. Best sense I could make about what she told me they said, was that cheese is cooked into just about everything they serve. So we don't' get to try there (I'm only allergic to cheese for some reason).
Si, that would mean the restaurant IS NOT authentic Mexican if one was to use that term. But you just described one of America's best cuisines - Tex Mex.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I regularly dine at a Mexican Restaurant in Indian Wells, California. The tacos are made using Filet Mignon. Does that make the tacos less Mexican because they aren't full of gristle or lower grade meat?

Not at all. I think you’re missing my point. I only mean to say that even though Taco Bell serves items that are typically derivatives of Mexican food, it shouldn’t be mentioned alongside actual Mexican food, like the things you’ve experienced. Therefore, comparing one with the other is like comparing apples to marshmallows. Taco Bell isn’t even in the same league, and shouldn’t be graded accordingly.

telescopes

Not at all. I think you’re missing my point. I only mean to say that even though Taco Bell serves items that are typically derivatives of Mexican food, it shouldn’t be mentioned alongside actual Mexican food, like the things you’ve experienced. Therefore, comparing one with the other is like comparing apples to marshmallows. Taco Bell isn’t even in the same league, and shouldn’t be graded accordingly.
I understand what you are saying and I agree without reservation. It’s a challenge to have the full measure of what one wants to say on a thread where discussion is limited. My opinion is that most Americans have a skewed understanding on what is and what isn’t Mexican food. When I speak with actual Mexicans, ultimately there definition is it is what their mom made them.

Here are my two Mexicans.
DA47716D-D824-4FC0-8377-2980D5518398.jpeg
Not that this makes me an expert, but living with these two people taught me a lot. Their favorites: rice, beans and Ribeye steaks.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Totally understand. And the first time I went to Mexico, I was expecting “Mexican food.” What I got was way different, and incredible.

To this day, one of my favorite meals was chicharron de pulpo. Admittedly, I was in a small town on the beach, so seafood made up a significant portion of the diet there. But, one of my students had an uncle who owned a seafood restaurant there and we’d go to it frequently. It was incredible. The ceviche, alone, was worth the cost of admission.

Status
Not open for further replies.