PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
True, but that’s boiling it down to semantics. By that logic, Burger King could be considered Mexican, too.
I get what you are saying. Burger King definitely is American Food. So would be Ruth's Chris. Having lived near and traveled extensively in Mexico for so many years, my take on what is Mexican food is this - Mexican Foods often express foods that we think of as Mexican; tortillas, beans - refried or black, fresh white cheeses, onions, chilis, limes, mangos, meats that have been marinated and grilled, etc. etc, etc. But that is only the tip of the iceberg. Regionally, the foods can get fairly wild with seven or more Moles, baked in the ground, baked in banana leaves, ground with various spices, various root vegetables, fish, octopus, shrimp, as well as how the food is cooked. Taco Bell is to Mexican as McDonald's is to American. It's an expression of a type of cuisine that is fast, cheap, and certainly not the best representative of the the Nation at large.

Jan 27, 2020
Several comments in this thread are predicated on Taco Bell being considered Mexican food, comparing it to authentic, hole in the wall, mom and pop Mexican joints.

It’s not even a comparison. Those hole in the wall joints are in a completely different category and shouldn’t be compared to Taco Bell.

Now that we have that out of the way, if you’re not getting 4 steak chalupas, a quesadilla, and 3 cheesy Gordita melts, covering the entire lot with Diablo sauce, and washing it down with a gigantic ass Mountain Dew, I don’t think we have much to discuss on the whole Taco Bell topic.

Yes.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 27, 2020
I'm in the QSR business, Taco Bell is a competitor. I'd kill to have their marketing department and budget, nothing short of brilliant and they rarely make a misstep. I don't eat there often, but like their Fire Dorito's tacos (guess they still have them?). I remember the first Taco Bell we ever ate at, we were at Virginia beach, in the early 1990's, I saw one, and had to eat there that evening for my 30th birthday - I think I ate about 10 tacos....Ah, young stomachs.

You are Moe are you?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My dad says all sorts of things. He lives in the heart of hillbilly country. I asked him about this spat of shootings. He told me it was liberals paying off people to do these things with the promise that their families would be looked for afterwards with money. I asked about the rain in the Midwest and he told me Biden is seeding the clouds in order to save the earth from global warming. He isn’t joking. His friends and church people all say the same thing. For every thing he says, it often turns out he’s right about half the time. He put his wife in a hyperbolic chamber for forty treatments to deter dementia and she improved. He predicted Snowden five years before he went public. Who knows.
A blind pig finds a nut, occasionally.
So he goes to a nutso fake church. Good to know. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Maybe, but consider this. I live just about on the boarder of Mexico. What is authentic Mexican? in México, the food is diverse and as different than the next state over. Every region is different and unique. Taco Bell is a unique expression of something that is so much more than any mom and pop or hole in the wall is; in that all of these places are simply expressions of something that is so much more than most Americans will ever have the pleasure of knowing.
What type of wood they use?

mara-metz-mara-metz-wood-baguette-board-24.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have a 24 hour Whataburger (a Texas thing) and a Taco Bell both stumbling distance from my house.

I've had to practice great restraint. I allow myself one self loathing visit per quarter.

There are too many great independent joints around, but none at 3am...

Taco Cabana is what Taco Bell would be with fresh ingredients, but fewer and farther between.

I usually pick the scariest trailer I can find for the good, authentic grub.

Cash only, no habla, sign hand made and mis-spelled. You know you're in for a treat!

Salsa choices are verde and rojo. Always get the verde!

Damn, where's my keys..... ???

View attachment 82675
Secret Santa wish: cottonelle wipes

Jan 27, 2020
I get what you are saying. Burger King definitely is American Food. So would be Ruth's Chris. Having lived near and traveled extensively in Mexico for so many years, my take on what is Mexican food is this - Mexican Foods often express foods that we think of as Mexican; tortillas, beans - refried or black, fresh white cheeses, onions, chilis, limes, mangos, meats that have been marinated and grilled, etc. etc, etc. But that is only the tip of the iceberg. Regionally, the foods can get fairly wild with seven or more Moles, baked in the ground, baked in banana leaves, ground with various spices, various root vegetables, fish, octopus, shrimp, as well as how the food is cooked. Taco Bell is to Mexican as McDonald's is to American. It's an expression of a type of cuisine that is fast, cheap, and certainly not the best representative of the the Nation at large.

Just because many in America have Cuisinarts doesn't mean America has a cuisine. I went to Oaxaca once and the food tastes very good there but after two weeks I was excited to come back and toss a salad at home. It is hard to find a good Al Pastor taco here, they put too much meats inside. Did you know Al Pastor is adopted from Turkish food?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just because many in America have Cuisinarts doesn't mean America has a cuisine. I went to Oaxaca once and the food tastes very good there but after two weeks I was excited to come back and toss a salad at home. It is hard to find a good Al Pastor taco here, they put too much meats inside. Did you know Al Pastor is adopted from Turkish food?
I like Turkish date and blossom roll

Status
Not open for further replies.