PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Either you can discern the differences in quality of blends, or you can't. If you can't, buy the cheapest stuff you can find and may you be happy and content for the rest of your days, because everything will meet your standards.
If you CAN discern differences in quality, then there will be some that fall below your level of minimum acceptable standards.
Come on now mate, this is a good natured opinion, now this is extreme even for YOU

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I am an every day man, I smoke Carter Hall on the Tractor, when I"m working in the garden, it reminds me of simpler times, smelling home baked bread, the feeling of putting on clean clothes after a day of hay baleing, the acid taste of an old fashioned coke brought to you in the field on a hot day, all the good things that make us Americans, I Smoke Carter Hall And I"m Proud Of It,thats my story and I"m sticking to it. The old cajun

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I have the bank records to enjoy as much over priced steak as I want, sometimes you cant beat a hotdog, souse, or fried catfish. I pray my enjoyment of such things never fades. Sometimes simple is just better.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
sometimes you cant beat a hotdog
Even all hot dogs are not the same. Some have better quality meats than others.
Likewise, some fairly simple blends have better quality tobacco than other simple blends. The H&H blends, for example, have better quality tobacco than the codger burleys, but some of them are not complex blends at all. The same goes for MacBaren. Burley London and Mixture (Scottish Blend) are both simple, all day sorts of blends, but with tobacco of a higher grade than Prince Al or Carter Hall. MacBaren Latakia has the same quality I have enjoyed in Walnut or Sail Green - the touch of latakia. MacBaren tobaccos may not be up to the highest standards in quality, but they are a step above Carter Hall, et al.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think we should all take bigvan out back and kick the shit out of him.
Every board needs it's resident snob, he is ours and once you get to know him, you won't take him too seriously. He likes to have fun once in a while. He really is a good guy despite the incredibly insensitive bile he spews. :nana:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Peck, lol. bigvan is a closet cob and otc smoker, in fact he told me his favorite is Middleton Cherry and that he likes to dump it on his bed and roll around naked in it.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I am trying to keep an open mind about tobaccos. After all, it was the OTCs that got me started in pipe smoking in the first place.

For instance, I was about to write-off all aromatic tobaccos when my son sent me 2 oz of a B&M aromatic jar tobacco. Love the stuff!

I am open to anything tastey. Can't wait to try rothnh's Wal-Hall!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Either you can discern the differences in quality of blends, or you can't. If you can't, buy the cheapest stuff you can find and may you be happy and content for the rest of your days, because everything will meet your standards.
If you CAN discern differences in quality, then there will be some that fall below your level of minimum acceptable standards.
None of us are saying we can't discern the the difference in quality, but what is wrong with just smoking what we like?

Heck, we all smoke less expensive blends that we enjoy. If we didn't we would burn through our stash of Stonehaven or FVF in no time flat.

When I was young, I was a fly fishing snob. I looked down on bait fishermen until I discovered I just enjoyed fishing. Now I fish any ol' way and enjoy the moment.

I have discovered I enjoy pipe smoking much the same way. It doesn't matter what tobacco is in the pipe as long as I am enjoying myself.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
To be clear, I haven't made a single comment directed towards anyone personally. If some have interpreted my dislike for their chosen blends as an affront to their character, that was not my intent. Sure, I think there are some blends which are of pretty low quality, but don't we all? That was the only point I was trying to make with my last post; we all draw the line somewhere as to what's acceptable and what's not.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Why does disliking OTC blends, and saying so, make you a snob? There's a little thread right now by this guy who doesn't like Old Dublin, and several guys agree with him. I enjoy that blend very much. But I don't think those guys are snobs 'cause they dislike one of my favorite blends.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
To be clear, I haven't made a single comment directed towards anyone personally. If some have interpreted my dislike for their chosen blends as an affront to their character, that was not my intent.
Overlooking for the moment his infatuation with Middleton Cherry, I'm with bigvan on this point. Of course he's still wrong about the value of cheap beer. :nana:

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I only smoke Virgin Virginia, handpicked by Virginia virgins, cured in the Virgin Islands, smoked out of virgin briars that I have shipped via Virgin Airways.
Punk.
Thank you to Portascat for the best post I've ever read! :)

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Life is full of mysterious little surprises.
To maintain a bit of appropriate distance from the subject matter, some of the best 'attention' I have received from ladies didn't always come from the 9's and 10's.
The boss of my second job took the entire shop out to eat at a high end steak house. Open tab at the bar and the menu, order what you like, live it up, etc. I ordered a ribeye, and it was moderately good at best. Not remarkable at all. Last week, on a whim, my wife and I went to a chain Italian joint (Carrabas, for those who know what that is). I ordered a "Sirloin marasala", which is just sirloin with a mushroom based topping. The steak itself was seasoned perfectly and was the best damn steak I have had in a long time.
I like bologna sandwiches with cheese and mustard.
My Harley is usually dirty.
I like Stella Artois beer, but have drank plenty of Silver Bullet and Lone Star. And if you offered me one to drink, I would be mighty pleased to have it.
I have a pitbull, and she gets gassy sometimes right by my chair. And I don't really mind.
I have never bought any of the bottom tier pipe smoke, mostly because the retail taxes on it are so high as to make even that exorbitant at the store. The only stuff I buy retail is a the B&M as a courtesy, and it is probably re-labled Sutliff, Lane, or Peter Stockebye. But, if someone sent me a bag of the cost cutter stuff in a flavor I could comprehend, I would try it.
What all this is supposed to mean, I don't know, but I am just a simple kind of guy with complicated problems.
If you, like me, recognize every one in this video as someone you have ridden with, drank cheap beer and cheaper whiskey with, married your sister and then divorced her, but you still like the guy, and so on...well, you know what I mean, then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLnDuzgkjo

Status
Not open for further replies.