PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
The way I figure if a blend has been around long enough for my grandfather to remember the aroma from when he was a kid then there might be something to the blend. My grand father gave me some of his fathers pipes in an old box and to my surprise were some old OTC blends still in their pouches. The tobacco was mostly dust. But as a tribute to great grandfather I grabbed as many of the blends as i could to keep the old pipes happy.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have had a few enjoyable smokes with the OTC blends in the past but I have concluded that I do not enjoy them enough to justify smoking them. They are moreso "set it and forget it" smokes rather than "contemplation" smokes and at only one bowl a day or less I do not want a mild tasting blend that smokes itself.
As others have said, I have a sneaking suspicion that the OTCs may have gradually declined in quality over time.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Hell, I got a good two dozen or so tins, jars and pouches of various things on my shelf for that kind of thing.
So...what do I smoke?
Balkan Saseini

Ceberus

Ambassador

Alamo
today, I made an order. Two cans of Balkan, two can of Fusiliers Ration. Ceberus was out of stock, and I have a lot of Ambassador. The Fusliers sounds interesting, so it is an experiment.
All of that to say I have quite a lot of tobacco, most of which i enjoyed at one time or another. And would likely enjoy it again if I lit up a bowl. But I am lazy.
Smoke what you like, when you like. If one or two blends get your rocks off, spend you money on them. Or most it, anyway. Branch out from time to time on a whim, but no need to feel you aren't a real rock-and-roller because you ain't smoking 47 blends that nobody else has heard of.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Smoke what you like, when you like. If one or two blends get your rocks off, spend you money on them. Or most it, anyway. Branch out from time to time on a whim, but no need to feel you aren't a real rock-and-roller because you ain't smoking 47 blends that nobody else has heard of.
Well said as usual.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
One of my favorite smokes is an OTC: Amphora Red. I love to alternate it with Dunhill Blends and other non-OTC's.

Blogs and posts about the more expensive tobaccos never disturb me so long as they are not written with a snobbish attitude.
Milton Berle, a great American comedian of the 1950's, smoked fine Cuban cigars, and when he discovered that George Burns, another great comic, was smoking cheap, OTC stogies, he was appalled and tried to persuade him to take up Cubans instead (which Burns, of course, could easily afford). But Burns refused, simply claiming he loved his cheap cigars. Enough said.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Either you can discern the differences in quality of blends, or you can't. If you can't, buy the cheapest stuff you can find and may you be happy and content for the rest of your days, because everything will meet your standards.
If you CAN discern differences in quality, then there will be some that fall below your level of minimum acceptable standards.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Either you can discern the differences in quality of blends, or you can't. If you can't, buy the cheapest stuff you can find and may you be happy and content for the rest of your days, because everything will meet your standards.
Sweet Angel of Death, take me now.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Sweet Angel of Death, take me now. :rofl:
I vomited a little...

Aug 1, 2012
Just ordered some CH, SWR and PA along with my last TAD order (PS LBF and EF...gotta love the alphabet soup). So I could give them a try and see what they're all about.
The beer analogy works to a point and so does this one. We brewers/beer-snobs tend to look at BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) with a bit of disdain but to tell the truth, very few of us could replicate the products and most people go their whole lives happy with them. we can insult and look down our noses all we want but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a damn bit of difference and it doesn't make us better brewers/drinkers.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Its kinda funny how threads like this can bring out arrogant replies from tobacco snobs, the whole point of this thread was to give props to blends that most of the old timers smoked and how I was surprised that they are enjoyable for what they are. Just because I can admit they have their place does that mean my standards are less than that of someone who only smokes the hardest to acquire tobacco? No it doesn't. And the funny part of my analogy is that I never drink, just thought it worked. Now for a bowl of carter hall followed by a bowl of stonehaven. :)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
The way I look at it - I only have one liver so I'll take it easy on the BMC (imbibing only on occasion) but generally sticking with the craft beer styles that I enjoy most.
The same goes for the OTC brands. Smoking does not exactly extend the lifespan so I tend to limit the blends that are "just okay" in favour of those that impress me more whenever I choose to light up.
I agree that outright snobbery is not desirable but we have all seen the guy downing Colt 45 or smoking some "Best of the Rest" floor sweepings blend and we shudder a little - I don't think there is anything wrong with having personal standards as long as you don't bash other people over the head with them.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've been through a good number of the codger burleys, just to see what they are about. None of 'em really ring my chimes. The only one that does anything for me at all is Walnut. Personally, I think the Hearth and Home burley blends are much better (I tried several of them last year), and they aren't that much more expensive. If you want a simple, uncomplicated burley, you are much better off with H&H Classic Burley Kake or Old Companion, as far as I am concerned.

Aug 1, 2012
Love Boswell's Premium Burley and that's another step-up burley blend from what I've read.
@simenon Yep, not wanting cheap stuff is not a problem, putting down those who do is.

Status
Not open for further replies.