PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
There is a whole world of flavor closed to me because my brain HATES the texture of cooked pineapple. Tells my mouth to spit it out. Outside of that, I don’t get the Hawaiian pizza debate.
I think because it just can't be proven one way or the other. It's not like politics where you know a month later everything you said turns out to be wrong. The president is going to make everyone eat pineapple once a week starting next month. In a month that might be proven totally wrong. Taste on pizza toppings that can never be settled but people feel really strongly about it and you can find other people that will back you up. I think that's pretty much what it's about.

Reactions: Beers 'N Briars

Beers 'N Briars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Yakima, Washington
I think because it just can't be proven one way or the other. It's not like politics where you know a month later everything you said turns out to be wrong. The president is going to make everyone eat pineapple once a week starting next month. In a month that might be proven totally wrong. Taste on pizza toppings that can never be settled but people feel really strongly about it and you can find other people that will back you up. I think that's pretty much what it's about.
It’s so interesting to me because my tastes have changed many times over the years. So I will try artichoke hearts once a year because my normal tastes imply this should be something I enjoy. I’ve yet to have that one change. But I’ve never had a texture issue change. Probably taking those to the grave with me. And my tobaccos. And my pipes. ?

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It’s so interesting to me because my tastes have changed many times over the years. So I will try artichoke hearts once a year because my normal tastes imply this should be something I enjoy. I’ve yet to have that one change. But I’ve never had a texture issue change. Probably taking those to the grave with me. And my tobaccos. And my pipes. ?
that's basically mostly from biology. Texture actually means more about how fresh or spoiled something is then matters of taste do. Or even how much nutrients are lost. It's harder to get over texture then it is to get over a taste.

• Wow

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
2 I would suggest are both Petersons: My Mixture 965, and Nightcap.

Here’s my thoughts/ suggestions.

My Mixture is is just ok straight out of the tin. But let it sit open for about an hour, just being exposed to oxygen. Then jar it up & let it sit for about 3 days to 1 week. That’s when I find it becomes much more flavorful.

As for Nightcap, I can usually just smoke that right out of the tin. But it ages nicely too. However, it’s a very “smoky” flavor. Very Latakia forward. And interestingly, it’s also kinda strong nicotine-wise. I recommend it after dinner. When it hits just right, it’s a very satisfying tobacco.

As for Plum Pudding, I can’t say anything bad about it. It’s an excellent blend. But it has a tanginess from the orientals. I feel like this tanginess is what really makes Plum Pudding the unique, sought after thing it is. And I truly don’t dislike it. I just find myself reaching for Englishes that lack that Balkan tang more often than not.

Early Morning Pipe also gets a lot of love. It’s a great blend too. But very mild on the Latakia IMHO.

One final recommendation: my absolute favorite English blend is from a local B&M tobacconist in Lexington, KY called Schwab’s Pipes N’ Stuff. The blend is named Graduate. Can’t buy it online unfortunately, but call them up and order a couple ounces. They’ll ship it right to you.

Best of luck.
I picked up the plum pudding, Early Morning, Nightcap and My Mixture. I’m currently burning through some C&D Haunted Bookshop. Just started and still unsure. More updates later.

Reactions: FLDRD and dctune

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
There is a whole world of flavor closed to me because my brain HATES the texture of cooked pineapple. Tells my mouth to spit it out. Outside of that, I don’t get the Hawaiian pizza debate.
I don’t like warm, soggy fruit. The only exception is I’ll eat fresh banana pudding. But even that I prefer cold. I even prefer to freeze my blueberries rather than eat them at room temp. But bc of my warm fruit aversion, I can’t even enjoy apple pie.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Squadron Leader is worth a crack imo. I have a few English blends now I'm rotating, including Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap. But I keep going back to the Squadron Leader.
What is it about Squadron Leader that you enjoy more than the other two? Just so I understand for me. Thank you

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
I can't speak for Anchovies, but in my view Squadron Leader is a milder latakia taste. I often smoke it while doing other tasks, because it doesn't require periodic removal of the pipe from my mouth as stronger lat blends do. It's a true "all day" type blend for me.

Reactions: Anchovies

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I can't speak for Anchovies, but in my view Squadron Leader is a milder latakia taste. I often smoke it while doing other tasks, because it doesn't require periodic removal of the pipe from my mouth as stronger lat blends do. It's a true "all day" type blend for me.
Thank you. Just started dipping my toe into the English Channel, so to speak. I am amazed by HH Old Dark Fired as one of my initial steps away from aromatics. That Kentucky smoky flavor is beautiful.

Reactions: FLDRD

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
What is it about Squadron Leader that you enjoy more than the other two? Just so I understand for me. Thank you
I can't quite say for sure. I just find that I keep reaching for that for whatever reason.

The first few bowls I smoked of it were transformative. I thought it was, by some way, the most delicious pipe tobacco I'd ever smoked. I thought I'd found something truly amazing. Unfortunately, for whatever reason I've not been able to repeat that experience. I don't know what it was the first time.

In any case, it's still very nice and still probably my favourite for the time being. It is like OldWill says.

Reactions: Salvaje

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
You may find that you like most of them as you go along. Some more favored for time of day or season or mood; but likely there will be many that are appreciated.

Reactions: Salvaje