PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Parsons Pleasure? I don't know if it is still made but it used to be quite popular. I am pretty sure that was what it was called. It came in a round tin and was always recommended as a 'starter' blend before you went off exploring Gawith Brown Plug and other joys!
I’ll check for it. Thank you

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
It’s amazing that you took the care and time to write such an enlightening response/review that encapsulates what I was looking for. I thank you greatly and appreciate the extra nugget about your local tobacco business. I’m finding great enthusiasts on here and am truly grateful and excited for more piping knowledge.
Keep it lit!
This forum is awesome and filled with great folks! They’re all quite helpful. It’s the last bastion of decency on the internet. I love it here.

Reactions: Salvaje

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Sillem’s Black if you haven’t tried it;

John Aylesbury Black;

You’ll notice the tins are similar, and they seem pretty much the same.

Harder to come by, but you’ll want Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader on your Radar!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
It’s amazing that you took the care and time to write such an enlightening response/review that encapsulates what I was looking for. I thank you greatly and appreciate the extra nugget about your local tobacco business. I’m finding great enthusiasts on here and am truly grateful and excited for more piping knowledge.
Keep it lit!
I just remembered another English I tried around Xmas and thought I’d pass it along.

I found it on the Pipes & Cigars website, and it’s very affordable. It’s their MATCH My Mixture 965. I actually like it better than MM 965, tbh, and I really enjoy MM 965. But to be fair, I’d have that this particular match blend is in name only. IMHO, they smell and taste quite different.

Here’s the dif:
MATCH is a little less smoky, and the brown cavendish is much sweeter and more forward. It’s super tasty, and to my mind, smells exactly the way I remember the tobacconist shop smelling when I was a young boy in the early 80s and would go in with my dad.

And while is sweeter and less robust, I don’t mean at all to say it’s not robust, or that it’s leaning towards an aromatic. It’s an excellent smoke, and I was happily surprised.

Now I need to order more.

Best of luck.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Everyone’s tastes are different, for example, I love English blends, but Presbyterian is just too light and I don’t enjoy it as much as others. To me, it’s not an English blend if you’re expecting Latakia and that sweet smokiness.

Personally, I’d start with that as a comparison but I’d also grab something classic in the genre such as PS Proper English. My personal favorite English blends right now include that, Maltese Falcon, and Pirate Kake.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I say go light and go super heavy to start. See what you think of it as both more a condiment and as more of club of flavor. Then neat trick you can mix both in different ratios and see if you like more middle of the road. I think that is the best way to gauge your opinion of latakia mixed blends.

Reactions: dctune

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Dive right into Pirate Kake. My first English/Balkan was Nightcap match. It was soon after Dunhill Nightcap was discontinued, and match was only thing I could try. Loved it and wanted to find out what would give a true blast of Latakia. Suggestion was Pirate Kake. Enjoyed it. Now I don't enjoy Lat bombs, but still love mild, east blends. Anything by GLP is very good.

Reactions: anotherbob

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Personally, I’d start with that as a comparison but I’d also grab something classic in the genre such as PS Proper English. My personal favorite English blends right now include that, Maltese Falcon, and Pirate Kake.
I'll toss in a 2nd vote on the PS 52. I just recently began trying that one as a more rea$onable alternative to some of my fav's and am rather impressed. I'm only a 1/2 dozen bowls or so into it so take it for what it's worth, but I've tried several and English is my preferred family of blends.

Reactions: gatorhazard