PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please read Rule 9. -jpm

So I’ve started out more with Lane and Sutliff in the aros and took a leap and jumped right into trying HHODF and really enjoyed it. I’d like to try a few that are on either side of that spectrum of heavier and lighter. Any suggestions like Maltese or plum pudding?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Go lighter first. I suggest Presbyterian. It’s Latakia is truly of condimental proportion. It’s a sweet, spicy flavorful blend that won’t bite. The Latakia is there but vanishes and reappears. It’s a nice touch to the overall smoke.

Then, if you haven’t yet tried it— MM965 will give you a bit more. Work your way up until you find what “too much” Latakia means for you… if there is such a thing. For some, Pirate ?‍☠️ Cake is nirvana.

Me? I’m not a fan of Latakia so a little goes a long way for me.

Mar 19, 2022
Go lighter first. I suggest Presbyterian. It’s Latakia is truly of condimental proportion. It’s a sweet, spicy flavorful blend that won’t bite. The Latakia is there but vanishes and reappears. It’s a nice touch to the overall smoke.

Then, if you haven’t yet tried it— MM965 will give you a bit more. Work your way up until you find what “too much” Latakia means for you… if there is such a thing. For some, Pirate ?‍☠️ Cake is nirvana.

I just picked up my first tin of Presbyterian, based off you folks suggestions for beginner English blends. Can't wait to give it a run tonight!

Also based off the forums suggestions, I also grabbed a tin of Peterson's Early Morning Pipe...had a bowl of it on the ride home from my local BM shop, LOVED it! I definitely agree with your advice on starting lighter, it seems to be working well for me. Thanks to all!

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC

Thank you. I’ll try the Presbyterian and 965.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please read Rule 9. -jpm

So I’ve started out more with Lane and Sutliff in the aros and took a leap and jumped right into trying HHODF and really enjoyed it. I’d like to try a few that are on either side of that spectrum of heavier and lighter. Any suggestions like Maltese or plum pudding?
Thanks. I’ll read it again.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Rattrays 7 Reserve, GLP Quiet Nights, Robert McConnell Oriental Square.
Also worth a try is the Captain Earle's blends, I used to really enjoy Nightwatch when I smoked latakia blends. But the Capt Earles blends can tend to be on the heavy side so maybe not for novice smokers.

Reactions: Man Myth Legend

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Rattrays 7 Reserve, GLP Quiet Nights, Robert McConnell Oriental Square.
Also worth a try is the Captain Earle's blends, I used to really enjoy Nightwatch when I smoked latakia blends. But the Capt Earles blends can tend to be on the heavy side so maybe not for novice smokers.
Thank you

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
2 I would suggest are both Petersons: My Mixture 965, and Nightcap.

Here’s my thoughts/ suggestions.

My Mixture is is just ok straight out of the tin. But let it sit open for about an hour, just being exposed to oxygen. Then jar it up & let it sit for about 3 days to 1 week. That’s when I find it becomes much more flavorful.

As for Nightcap, I can usually just smoke that right out of the tin. But it ages nicely too. However, it’s a very “smoky” flavor. Very Latakia forward. And interestingly, it’s also kinda strong nicotine-wise. I recommend it after dinner. When it hits just right, it’s a very satisfying tobacco.

As for Plum Pudding, I can’t say anything bad about it. It’s an excellent blend. But it has a tanginess from the orientals. I feel like this tanginess is what really makes Plum Pudding the unique, sought after thing it is. And I truly don’t dislike it. I just find myself reaching for Englishes that lack that Balkan tang more often than not.

Early Morning Pipe also gets a lot of love. It’s a great blend too. But very mild on the Latakia IMHO.

One final recommendation: my absolute favorite English blend is from a local B&M tobacconist in Lexington, KY called Schwab’s Pipes N’ Stuff. The blend is named Graduate. Can’t buy it online unfortunately, but call them up and order a couple ounces. They’ll ship it right to you.

Best of luck.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands

Great advice here. Presbyterian is a pipe tobacco legacy brand that has stood the test of time, and unlike surviving codger brands, has long been made with a higher quality of leaf.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Parsons Pleasure? I don't know if it is still made but it used to be quite popular. I am pretty sure that was what it was called. It came in a round tin and was always recommended as a 'starter' blend before you went off exploring Gawith Brown Plug and other joys!

Reactions: Salvaje

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
2 I would suggest are both Petersons: My Mixture 965, and Nightcap.

Here’s my thoughts/ suggestions.

My Mixture is is just ok straight out of the tin. But let it sit open for about an hour, just being exposed to oxygen. Then jar it up & let it sit for about 3 days to 1 week. That’s when I find it becomes much more flavorful.

As for Nightcap, I can usually just smoke that right out of the tin. But it ages nicely too. However, it’s a very “smoky” flavor. Very Latakia forward. And interestingly, it’s also kinda strong nicotine-wise. I recommend it after dinner. When it hits just right, it’s a very satisfying tobacco.

As for Plum Pudding, I can’t say anything bad about it. It’s an excellent blend. But it has a tanginess from the orientals. I feel like this tanginess is what really makes Plum Pudding the unique, sought after thing it is. And I truly don’t dislike it. I just find myself reaching for Englishes that lack that Balkan tang more often than not.

Early Morning Pipe also gets a lot of love. It’s a great blend too. But very mild on the Latakia IMHO.

One final recommendation: my absolute favorite English blend is from a local B&M tobacconist in Lexington, KY called Schwab’s Pipes N’ Stuff. The blend is named Graduate. Can’t buy it online unfortunately, but call them up and order a couple ounces. They’ll ship it right to you.

Best of luck.
It’s amazing that you took the care and time to write such an enlightening response/review that encapsulates what I was looking for. I thank you greatly and appreciate the extra nugget about your local tobacco business. I’m finding great enthusiasts on here and am truly grateful and excited for more piping knowledge.
Keep it lit!