36 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh White Elephant Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
Hi. Today I had a flake of Orlik golden slice , fvf , Peterson flake and now a bowl of Savinelli doblone. No taste! All hot air! I did not smoke all in one sitting of coz. But from morning till night. I know how all of them should taste. And I use a pipe that I have gotten taste from them before. So it should not be the pipe. Is there something wrong. At first I thot damn covid 19. But I realise I can taste all my drinks and food lol

Have you smoked virignias before? If so, how has the taste differed/what are you doing differently now?

If not, maybe it's the other side of the coin with regards to the powers of suggestion and placebo effects.

Also could be a genetic thing as it is documented some people don't respond well to red virginias. But across the spectrum of virignias? Have not really heard of that.

Has this happen to anyone before? Damn I hope it’s not covid. As one of the symptom is loss of taste and smell.

Not sure that's something to joke about. If you're concerned speak to a doctor.

There is no foul smell from the smokes today or anything. It’s just hot air with no taste.

When I first got into pipes someone once told me: "You'll want to dry your tobacco longer than you'd think and you'll want to sip your pipe slower than you'd think." It's probably the most generic, yet helpful, advise I've ever gotten. The other one is "The only true remedy for PAD is TAD; but the only successful remedy for TAD is PAD."

Reactions: dcon and cornedbeef

Fong

Lurker
May 14, 2020
Singapore
All those that I smoked today I have smoked tins of it before. That’s y I am concerned y I can’t taste any of it. I can understand if it’s just fvf as it can be fickle. And that’s y I chose different tabacco every bowl.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Smoke something with a little Latakia in it....like Star of the East or Tashkent. If you can't taste anything with those, you may have a serious problem.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

Fong

Lurker
May 14, 2020
Singapore
I am shot. After a night of rest. This morning I used another pipe and smoke flake medallion and it’s tasteless like yesterday. Damn.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Sometimes if I eat strongly-flavored foods, or pungent, aggressively-spiced foods, my abilities to discern subtle flavors is impaired.

Eating Mexican food before appraising a new tobacco, for example, is not a good idea.

Reactions: dcon and jpmcwjr

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Fong, my Virginias dont taste like they did for the last month or so either. The rest do and food & drink taste normal, just not VAs.

Fong

Lurker
May 14, 2020
Singapore
Is there really a Virginia wall? What happens and how to get out of it ? Smoke more Latakia blends to even out? Damn. Last night I smoked half a bowl of Dunhill London mixture and after that I smoke a bowl of Dunhill ready rubbed and I thot I managed to get some sweetness out of it

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
This happens to me from time to time. It can be because of stress, either mental or physical, or something weather related. This is not the first thread on this problem and it won't be the last.
You'll be fine in a couple of days.

Reactions: dcon

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Is there really a Virginia wall? What happens and how to get out of it ? Smoke more Latakia blends to even out? Damn. Last night I smoked half a bowl of Dunhill London mixture and after that I smoke a bowl of Dunhill ready rubbed and I thot I managed to get some sweetness out of it
Never heard of a Virginia wall, what is it?
Been my favs for years.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Go to walgreen or cvs and get a spray bottle of saline solution, flush your nose every hour for a couple of days and your tastes should be back.
I was thinking today that it started about the time my DR. started me on Flonase.
Going off it for a while & see what happens.
And have the saline in med cabinet & try that too.

methomp

Lurker
Sep 22, 2016
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi. Today I had a flake of Orlik golden slice , fvf , Peterson flake and now a bowl of Savinelli doblone. No taste! All hot air! I did not smoke all in one sitting of coz. But from morning till night. I know how all of them should taste. And I use a pipe that I have gotten taste from them before. So it should not be the pipe. Is there something wrong. At first I thot damn covid 19. But I realise I can taste all my drinks and food lol
Hav you been tested for COVID? That is a symptom. I currently can not taste anything and it’s been 6 weeks. Luckily I feel fine & never had anything except allergy like symptoms. But can’t wait for a bowl that I can taste!