PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fong

Lurker
May 14, 2020
Singapore
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi. Today I had a flake of Orlik golden slice , fvf , Peterson flake and now a bowl of Savinelli doblone. No taste! All hot air! I did not smoke all in one sitting of coz. But from morning till night. I know how all of them should taste. And I use a pipe that I have gotten taste from them before. So it should not be the pipe. Is there something wrong. At first I thot damn covid 19. But I realise I can taste all my drinks and food lol

Last edited by a moderator:

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
My wife decided to clean some mold in one of the rooms this week. Compound that with the insane amount of pollen around here after "spring" finally arrived. My sense of smell dropped noticeably this past week, and may not return again until the fall.

Fong

Lurker
May 14, 2020
Singapore
No congestion. Damn. Going to suck the nicotine from the bowl and hope Tom I get back my taste. Frustrating when I “know” how it all should taste. But have been sipping hot air

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Has this happen to anyone before? Damn I hope it’s not covid. As one of the symptom is loss of taste and smell.

You say you can still taste food and beverages. I haven’t heard that the possible sensory loss due to covid is selective. There are other potential causes. You might set up a telemed appointment with your doc.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Talk to your doctor. From what I've read a symptom of Covid is the loss of taste and smell.
This is true. It's a symptom of COVID. Happened to my step daughter. It came back after about a month.

Load up on Zink and see if you can talk to a doc.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Should not be pipe problem. It had a 3 days rest and I pipe cleaner it every time I done.
Resting a pipe is negligible. Did you clean out the mortise? Build-up there can kill flavor. If you have other pipes, are you experiencing the same thing? Can you taste other types of blends like latakia?

Reactions: anotherbob

Fong

Lurker
May 14, 2020
Singapore
Yup I pull thru all that can be pipe cleaner pulled. I always dismantle my pipe after my last smoke of the day and pipe cleaner and paper towel it. I have decided to rest my tongue for the rest of the night although I dun think I have any tongue bite or burn. Will smoke another pipe Tom morning smoke and see how it goes. Will update u guys here.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another possibility is frame of mind. Pipe smoking is contemplative in many cases, and if you are not in a mind to relax and ruminate, the flavors may not register. I know this is a pop-psyche theory, but since your food and beverages still have taste and smell, it would explain the selectivity. I'd cease pipe smoking for several days, then try in an especially relaxed and calm mood; it could work.