PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
All of my great grandparents were illiterate Polish ditch diggers who got on a boat and ended up in the Detroit auto plants (either directly or in one case with a stop in the Pennsylvania coal mines) As such, I am a partisan of naturally fermented pickles, with plenty of dill and garlic. Every August I get out a couple of 5 gallon crocks for a lactobaccilus pool party. In August because that's when I can get the best in season pickling cucumbers at the local farmer's market. My own garden just doesn't have enough real estate for me to grow them, so I concentrate on tomatoes.

And to stay on topic, CRF is not Christmas Cheer, but I think with a few years in the tin it will be a fantastic red Virginia in its own right with its own character. Based on the fresh tin I smoked, it will be beefier and spicier than CC, but not as sweet. Variety is good.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
All of my great grandparents were illiterate Polish ditch diggers who got on a boat and ended up in the Detroit auto plants (either directly or in one case with a stop in the Pennsylvania coal mines) As such, I am a partisan of naturally fermented pickles, with plenty of dill and garlic. Every August I get out a couple of 5 gallon crocks for a lactobaccilus pool party. In August because that's when I can get the best in season pickling cucumbers at the local farmer's market. My own garden just doesn't have enough real estate for me to grow them, so I concentrate on tomatoes.

And to stay on topic, CRF is not Christmas Cheer, but I think with a few years in the tin it will be a fantastic red Virginia in its own right with its own character. Based on the fresh tin I smoked, it will be beefier and spicier than CC, but not as sweet. Variety is good.
Our branch of Polacks landed in Buffalo, only to move to Detroit in the early 90s to watch the nails driven into the coffin so to speak.

Had some CRF this evening. Good tobacco, but reminds me almost of a young Havana cigar in its need for down time before, I think, transforming into a masterpiece. Time will tell.

Barred-owl

Lurker
Feb 6, 2021
Thanks to everyone that chimed in with suggestions! Those posts were very helpful. I’m still fairly inexperienced when it comes to the variety of blends I’ve sampled 10-20 so fa, but CRF is hands down my overall favorite. If I find something I like better I’m in for a real treat!!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I seriously don’t understand the mentality of those kind of people.
It's the kid in the neighborhood who puts chrome covers on the valve stems on his Huffy bike tires and then laughs because you don't have em. My Huffy rode just fine without flashy nonsense. I am to understand the cigar communities on Facebook are rife with this stuff.

Barred-owl

Lurker
Feb 6, 2021
It's the kid in the neighborhood who puts chrome covers on the valve stems on his Huffy bike tires and then laughs because you don't have em. My Huffy rode just fine without flashy nonsense. I am to understand the cigar communities on Facebook are rife with this stuff
I’m probably done with this community! Impressing anyone here never even occurred to me and I’m not going to even consider it. I appreciate the people that helped and gets it.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I’m probably done with this community! Impressing anyone here never even occurred to me and I’m not going to even consider it. I appreciate the people that helped and gets it.
This is a fantastic resource for learning and I've found people to be very helpful, even answering the same basic questions from a perpetual stream of newbies (of which I am one). I wouldn't let a couple of show-offs or negative nancies drive me off.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I get it. Someone recently mentioned that it can be a bit like a high school cafeteria. I’m thinking more like middle school! Yeah, it can be like that but it’s also much, much more. Sometimes people forget that you can’t read tone, facial expressions and body language in forum posts. I think more than half the time I delete responses before I post because I realize they’re not really adding something to the conversation. Like this one. Now I sound preachy and like I’m lecturing. ? <delete>

If we all merely posted responses to OP questions, some of the questions still bring about debate. Aesthetics of what is like what, which is best, etc, just beg for debate, because there are no correct answers.
And, this site is the largest most active pipe forum on the web. It is also the most fun. If someone doesn't like fun, I'm sure that there is a fuddy duddy forum somewhere out there that you would be much happier with, where no one argues, and everyone just pats each other on the backs.

But... It's a forum, take all responses with a grain of salt, have fun, and laugh... because no one should take life or a forum too seriously. And, no one is going to explode or catch on fire following bad advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.