PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I may just have to try Interlude. I like CRF but to me it's missing something and this may be it.
What you will find with Interlude is that it is almost exactly CRF but without that plain Virginia edge to it. As we all know, plain Va's and Burleys have that sort of acidic edge to them (for lack of a better term) and the very light honey casing in Interlude knocks that off quite well.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
What you will find with Interlude is that it is almost exactly CRF but without that plain Virginia edge to it. As we all know, plain Va's and Burleys have that sort of acidic edge to them (for lack of a better term) and the very light honey casing in Interlude knocks that off quite well.
i ordered a tin of Interlude this morning with 2 tins of Windjammer. Excited for both!

When I have made kraut or pickles, I do not add any vinegar. I just let the wild ferment make the acids. I also use fermentation in my pepper sauces.

When I get old ladies giving me their vinegar cukes, I just toss them in the trash. It's like the Boone's Farms of pickles, IMO. I also make my own vinegars... except for white vinegar. That stuff smells like rotten potatoes to me.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
When I have made kraut or pickles, I do not add any vinegar. I just let the wild ferment make the acids. I also use fermentation in my pepper sauces.

When I get old ladies giving me their vinegar cukes, I just toss them in the trash. It's like the Boone's Farms of pickles, IMO. I also make my own vinegars... except for white vinegar. That stuff smells like rotten potatoes to me.
Vinegar cucumber are gods country

so you’re proving you have horrible tastes? No wonder such a C&D defender ?

Vinegar cucumber are gods country

so you’re proving you have horrible tastes? No wonder such a C&D defender ?
Have you ever had a natural kraut or pickle? That's how they all were when I was growing up. Now, the supermarkets have tricked everyone into thinking that, that is what a pickle is supposed to be like.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Yum. Vinegar tends to be the commercial solution to achieve the “same” results. You get preserved, sour food but none of the probiotics or deep flavor.

Yum. Vinegar tends to be the commercial solution to achieve the “same” results. You get preserved, sour food but none of the probiotics or deep flavor.
There is also less in your face acetic acid. It's more subtle, and the essence of the fruit comes through more in the flavors. I went a while between eating my grandmother's pickled veggies and making my own. After eating store pickles for a while, I started thinking that I must just not like pickles. Then as I got into canning and finding old recipes, I found that the problems was that I just preferred the old ways. You can do a ferment on just about anything. I make a kraut from shredded Bussel Sprouts that will blow your mind.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
There is also less in your face acetic acid. It's more subtle, and the essence of the fruit comes through more in the flavors.
Agreed. I have a hard time with most standard vinegar pickles. The vinegar is just way too sharp. There is one local producer that makes vinegar pickles that are great. They must have a good sense of flavor balance. They ferment their sauerkraut but not the pickles. They make a hot horseradish cucumber pickle that’s out of this world.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Have you ever had a natural kraut or pickle? That's how they all were when I was growing up. Now, the supermarkets have tricked everyone into thinking that, that is what a pickle is supposed to be like.
Yes. It’s a different thing. A cucumber in vinegar ≠ pickles.
I like both. ?
But honestly I like vinegar and onion cucumbers better.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Agreed. I have a hard time with most standard vinegar pickles. The vinegar is just way too sharp. There is one local producer that makes vinegar pickles that are great. They must have a good sense of flavor balance. They ferment their sauerkraut but not the pickles. They make a hot horseradish cucumber pickle that’s out of this world.
Part of the key of vinegar cucumber is to dilute the vinegar with water, and to also add some sugar.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm adding it to my list for the 20th. I appreciate the input.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Yes. It’s a different thing. A cucumber in vinegar ≠ pickles.
I like both. ?
But honestly I like vinegar and onion cucumbers better.
My dear departed mother's cucumbers: Equal parts vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Whisk it up real good then add a peeled and sliced cucumber and a sliced onion. Let them sit for a half hour or so, then they're ready.

I've got a good amount of Carolina Red Flake (2018) but never smoked it. Perhaps it's time.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
My dear departed mother's cucumbers: Equal parts vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Whisk it up real good then add a peeled and sliced cucumber and a sliced onion. Let them sit for a half hour or so, then they're ready.

I've got a good amount of Carolina Red Flake (2018) but never smoked it. Perhaps it's time.
Nah, Its bad stuff. Ill trade or buy it from you...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.