PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
One of my last jobs after failing my last DOT physical was collecting coinage out of laundry machines and anytime I made change for a customer I had to put the bill or bills in an envelope for accounting with a form stating that I made change and for how much and who for and it went into the bag of coinage. Now I'm guessing but, I think is probably the same scenario.

See, this thread could help humanity.

Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 27, 2020
Toll booth collector is one of the worst jobs around. My brother did that one summer. It must have killed a bunch of brain cells because he stopped complaining by the end of the gig. Here in the Chicago area, those jobs were handed out by politicians as a reward for political work. Some reward!

Do you think it's worse than a merkin cleaner?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I work in Dev Ops for an Austrian company, we have several clients, two of which are PANYNJ & NYSTA. My job is to help create and maintain the software that makes open road tolling possible. It’s pretty amazing what goes into it. We are a big part of the reason why toll booths are becoming a thing of the past. There are still some out there but I don’t really understand why.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 27, 2020
I work in Dev Ops for an Austrian company, we have several clients, two of which are PANYNJ & NYSTA. My job is to help create and maintain the software that makes open road tolling possible. It’s pretty amazing what goes into it. We are a big part of the reason why toll booths are becoming a thing of the past. There are still some out there but I don’t really understand why.

Do you think the traffic lobby has something to do with it?

Jan 27, 2020
who knows what rules they're working under? How much of a pain in the ass taking pennies or larger bills actually is. Maybe any bill over a certain amount has to be sent off with extra paper work? One fun constant at almost every job is that the people who make the rules often have no clue what the working conditions on the ground are.

Well, without commenting on my views of the government I don't relieve any government agency would instruct employees to mzke pennies rain.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
The Golden Gate bridge fixed their whacky toll collector problem by getting rid of all of them. Now it charges your credit card as you go through the booth. No need to find cash or stop and wonder how that person got a job in the first place.

Jan 27, 2020
My inbox was flooded with messages of beratment and inquiry as to why I don't use cashless tolling. Well, EZ Pass often wants me to add a large sum of money into the account due to it's calculation of my use. I don't see why I should give them $200 if I only plan to make $50 of trips in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.