PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
I thought perhaps we could post here about the minutia of human interactions, mostly the strange minor encounters we have with human beings.

Yesterday I had two odd encounters with toll collectors on the New Jersey Turnpike. The first one was with an older toll collector who had painted on eyebrows and bluish hair. My toll was $10 and change, I gave her a $100 which I needed to break. Usually I don't have any issue doing so and on occasion apologize for the big bill and am told not to worry about it. This lady seemed very agitated by my legal tender and took some time making the change. When I was about to pull away I observed her attaching the bill to a form which she filled out, with a paper clip. What do you think this form was for? I know the bill was not a counterfeit and if she was worried about that she could of just tested it with the sunlight or that special pen. Although, you can apparently pass those bills by adding a layer of hair mousse to them.

The second encounter was the opposite in a way. My toll came out to $9.05 and I gave exact change including five pennies. This time when I was about to leave the man threw the pennies down on the road. What will he replace those pennies with in his register? I could understand if he was annoyed if I paid the whole toll in pennies but a five dollar bill, four singles and five pennies seemed like a tidy way to pay. The use to have signs on the toll booths years ago saying "no pennies" but they were removed at some point I believe due to an injunction by PETA or another organization.

If we cannot use pennies and hundred dollar bills the government should get rid of them. I am sensitive to the fact that some business might not have change for a hundred dollar bills but considering the amount of cash a toll collector takes in a day I do not perceive this as an issue on such occassions.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Yes, and it even had sleeves.
I'd guess working at a toll booth is pretty mundane and the smell must be horrid.

Government workers are not in competition with other agencies so that being nice or helpful is not as essental AKA they are not going to loose customers for not being nice. They can demand. I have noticed that if I am pleasent, they will be more helpful, but their is no assurance.

Over the years I have tried to rememnber to smile and pleasent with my interactions with people serving me. Regardless of age, when I am pleasent, I get pleasentries in return.

Jan 27, 2020
I'd guess working at a toll booth is pretty mundane and the smell must be horrid.

Government workers are not in competition with other agencies so that being nice or helpful is not as essental AKA they are not going to loose customers for not being nice. They can demand. I have noticed that if I am pleasent, they will be more helpful, but their is no assurance.

Over the years I have tried to rememnber to smile and pleasent with my interactions with people serving me. Regardless of age, when I am pleasent, I get pleasentries in return.

I agree and do the same. I was polite to both of these tellers. It's a thankless job and I was thankful they were willing to do the work at the height of covid.

Jan 27, 2020
Its amazing you found a toll-booth operator. EZ Pass has all but eliminated them. PA went all EZ-Pass two years ago. In the past, NJ employees were notorious in for being cranky.

Yes, the turnpike still has around 2 human operated booths per exit. All the bridges and tunnels into New York except the Lincoln are now cashless. I'm sure they make a lot in late fees from those without Ez Pass.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Toll collector has to be an agonizingly boring job and finally the people just lose all perspective and hate the money you hand them and hate you for not having EZ Pass and not interrupting the book they want to read or the video game they are playing.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
The form probably included your license plate number so they could track you down. If it was funny money.

Seems like a convoluted way to deal with it if it even does. Plenty of unsuspecting people pass around the fake bills I give them unknowingly. Isn't the goal of a counterfeiter to get the bill changed? Best practice is to stop that by verifying the currency being legitimate.

rdpowell

Might Stick Around
Oct 25, 2017
East Texas
rdpipes.briar.club
I thought perhaps we could post here about the minutia of human interactions, mostly the strange minor encounters we have with human beings.

Yesterday I had two odd encounters with toll collectors on the New Jersey Turnpike. The first one was with an older toll collector who had painted on eyebrows and bluish hair. My toll was $10 and change, I gave her a $100 which I needed to break. Usually I don't have any issue doing so and on occasion apologize for the big bill and am told not to worry about it. This lady seemed very agitated by my legal tender and took some time making the change. When I was about to pull away I observed her attaching the bill to a form which she filled out, with a paper clip. What do you think this form was for? I know the bill was not a counterfeit and if she was worried about that she could of just tested it with the sunlight or that special pen. Although, you can apparently pass those bills by adding a layer of hair mousse to them.

The second encounter was the opposite in a way. My toll came out to $9.05 and I gave exact change including five pennies. This time when I was about to leave the man threw the pennies down on the road. What will he replace those pennies with in his register? I could understand if he was annoyed if I paid the whole toll in pennies but a five dollar bill, four singles and five pennies seemed like a tidy way to pay. The use to have signs on the toll booths years ago saying "no pennies" but they were removed at some point I believe due to an injunction by PETA or another organization.

If we cannot use pennies and hundred dollar bills the government should get rid of them. I am sensitive to the fact that some business might not have change for a hundred dollar bills but considering the amount of cash a toll collector takes in a day I do not perceive this as an issue on such occassions.
One of my last jobs after failing my last DOT physical was collecting coinage out of laundry machines and anytime I made change for a customer I had to put the bill or bills in an envelope for accounting with a form stating that I made change and for how much and who for and it went into the bag of coinage. Now I'm guessing but, I think is probably the same scenario.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Toll collector has to be an agonizingly boring job and finally the people just lose all perspective and hate the money you hand them and hate you for not having EZ Pass and not interrupting the book they want to read or the video game they are playing.
Perhaps they were enjoying a bowl of 30 year old Blend Mastercraft in a 3000 Dunhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.