PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
It doesn't matter if you ran a million dollar company, or a lemonade stand. You guys are planning on ordering over 20 lbs. of tobacco from a small Mom & Pop shop that makes this is small batches. Aside from the logistical nightmare that Sable so eloquently detailed, you guys might be waiting 6 months before Herr Motzek can even put 20 lbs. of the stuff together.
Some of you guys are ordering this tobacco in mass quantities and you never even had it. Can't wait to see how many people don't like it... oh wait, what am I thinking... it's the new Unicorn... everyone will say it's amazing regardless of whether it's shite.
Oh well, at least it's great fun to watch the insanity.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Based on its components I think there's a strong chance I'll like it, and if I don't, I know some folks who do and wouldn't mind getting a nice gift.
The concept of it never being available again also plays a strong role in the quantities people order.
That said, I don't disagree, this order is getting huge, and already was when I joined in. How large have past orders been?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I had some of this in a trade with a very dear friend who lives in the 'Der Fatherland' as I was curious about the stuff. My tastes in tobacco are well known but I found with this stuff that unless you dried the stuff out you needed a pilot light to keep the stuff burning. It throws off a lot of moisture and you either get to steam your tongue or experience something akin to putting a straw into an ash tray full of dottles and water and then sucking the stuff into your mouth. It has had very good reviews from Jim whose opinion I trust beyond any other reviewers but it really didn't do a whole lot for me. Maybe it is because I need that sledge hammer nicotine hit from what I smoke but my advise to one and all is if you can try a bowl before buying 1000g of the stuff it might behove you. Before you ask I have already donated the Strang I got to a deserving member otherwise I would offer out samples.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I agree, it's seriously wet!! I cut slices then cube cut it with scissors and allow to dry uncovered over night. Try that. It makes a huge difference!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I HAVE POSTED AN UPDATE ON ANOTHER THREAD ENTITLED "MOTZEK STRANG GROUP BUY UPDATE" Please read...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/motzek-strang-group-buy-update

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I ordered a large amount because I have smoked it thanks to a generous friend and I really like it. Enough to purchase enough to last me a good while. I don't horde tobaccos unless they are ones that I really enjoy. I found it to be one of those desert island tobaccos. So, I wouldn't assume that people are "ordering this tobacco in mass quantities and you never even had it." That's kind of a rude assumption.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
So, I wouldn't assume that people are "ordering this tobacco in mass quantities and you never even had it." That's kind of a rude assumption.
I don't see how it's a "rude" assumption at all. It is not unheard of for people to do it, especially when there is a run on a blend that they think is going to be discontinued. I would bet that of the 20 or so people ordering this, a few have never even tasted the stuff.
I'm glad that you enjoy Strang, you are obviously not one of the "never had it group". Explain to me why you are offended then???

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Which of the folks that put in their large order do you know have never tried it before? I'm simply stating that assuming that any of us are ordering ignorantly is kind of rude. What business is it of yours either way? If someone wants to order a tobacco that may not be available to them in the future despite never trying it, how is that harming you? I just don't get why you felt it necessary to post as you did.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Nate, I was referring to skrapsoftobacco's post denigrating folks for wanting to participate in the group order.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
First off, Wayne... I have not denigrated anyone for wanting to participate in the group buy. I'm making an observation about the mob mentality that suddenly emerged related to this rather unknown tobacco, simply because someone posted that the Motzeks are trying to get out of the business.
Secondly, it was a general observation. It's a pretty safe assumption considering this tobacco is produced in limited quantity, is not easy to get a hold of, requires some effort to even order it because of the language barrier, and is not in the mainstream market. Add into that dealing with international shipping and customs, and the probability is pretty good that out of 20 plus people there are a few that have never had it.
What business is it of mine? As much as it is yours as it's posted on a public forum.
Maybe you should not be singling someone out, and accusing them of "denigrating" people simply because they shared an observation and an opinion. Last time I checked, this place is full of both, and I'm entitled to mine. But, by all means... pile on the new guy. I've got thick skin.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I wonder if its going to be like Cocacola all over. They said they are getting rid of coke the original recipe only to bring it back as coke classic and explode its poularity with the triumphant return! Okay maybe not even close but you never know! Look at twinkies!

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Also maybe some people would love to try it but thought well its dumb to only order a 50gram portion and pay the tax and shipping that equals more than the tobacco and now that they can be part of a bigger more worth the effort order they feel its a good time to jump in to finally see what the excitment is all about! I do agree though, an order of that size is sure to raise question in both countries... Maybe a couple members need to be the ring leaders so its not so flashy...

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm truly mystified as to how there could be controversy. A legendary German tobacco gets a blip of interest, by the way, this thread began prior to the thread concerning his possibly retirement, and you're getting sour about it? You're, of course, free to vent your displeasure, as I am to vent my curiosity as to why you'd bother. Bad Monday perhaps?
Anyways, as I've said, I'm placing the order regardless and will be happy to share it at cost for as long as it lasts. If offends your delicate sensibilities... C'est la vive ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.