PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
it does not shave like a strait razor but does a great job, doc...
you're right.. you can get a much closer shave with a Feather then you can with a straight. I buy/restore/flip straights as a hobby.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
you can pick up good qua;ity razors in antique stores for little or nothing. the strait i use cost me less than $10 and is over 80 years old. i also have a de razor that i use that is over 100 years old... that one cost me $15...

I bought my DE at an antique shop... its about 80 years old and I spent a whopping $5 :D
I only have the one DE razor... wouldnt mind a nice brush one day but I barely have enough money for pipes and tobacco... so it is much further down the list for me.
One thing is that I would like to try some nice razors, I have always used the cheap razors at the Walgreens or Wallyworlds... but from what Ive heard and from what I am reading here is a good razor can make a HUGE difference.

Any suggestions on which to try out?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
You're right hawk. My weekly shave has become a ritual. I take a scotch or beer, my pipe and

take my time stropping the blade just right. Time to slow down and think.....

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
I have a collection of old strait razors and like to keep them sharp and in service. At this time I use an electric Broan. It was like 250 bucks but works great for every day shave. the blade replacement pack is 50 bucks though. The only time I use the strait is for special occations when some one might be getting close enough to kiss my neck....

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
It is interesting that you guys like the straight razors to me. Current method works great for me so I probably won't change but still interesting. How much does a new one cost typically? I have seen them at antique stores but they are always near 100 dollars. No shave is worth that much to me.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Dovo Best quality Straight razor is about $75 brand new. like listed before DE's can be had for CHEAP at antique stores and blade are about $.35 a piece. usually in packs of ten and they lest about 5 shaves each. If you dont shave on the weekends your looking at 10 weeks of razors for $3.50

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Whats a good DE blades to get... like I mentioned on my post I have always used the cheapy Walgreens or Wallyworld razors, and those are ok... but would really like to step up to a better blade.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I will PM you a link for a sampler pack.. Im not the one to be answering that question as im so new.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Can someone post a DE pic? I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. My razor blades are still cheaper because I get way more than 5 shaves out of them. Is it easy to cut yourself with the straight razors?

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I'm on my phone, but google safety razor. Think old school razor your grandpa would use.
Yes, easy to cut self with straight, but much closer shave IMO

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
photoman... I would not jump from a reg disposable to a straight razor... I would personally go to a DE razor for a while.
This is a Double Edge Razor (DE)

c746bb9f-65bf-d230-4cb7-387ebd27757a.jpg

This is a Straight Edge Razor

straight_razor_72R.jpg

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
I use DE and straights regularly. I pack a Mach 3 with me for work because I stay in motels all week and don't want to pack my razor, strop, bowl and soap. Yes, I could just use cream on a brush and pack it in a bottle to keep it from getting everything wet.
Shaving Site this is a site I use a lot. I prefer Feathers for my DE. They just give me a great shave. Astra and Derby gave an ok one.
Photoman, I would recommend a closed comb DE with one of the two of a kind sampler packs from the site I linked. Get a cheap DE of the bay and you'll be good to go. I prefer the three piece myself. Easier to clean all the inner parts. You can get a tube or Proraso or Omega fairly cheap to start. Cream can usually be worked onto your face with fingers if you need to.
I have used my straight to shave my head numerous times. Just a bit different as only a small portion of the blade is actually touching your head.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've been shaving my head 1-2 a week for about four months now, and I've decided that spending $4 per shave on a new Fusion Glide razor cartridge is worth the money
I have my Grandpa's old straight razor, and the razors are much cheaper (can get them at 5 for a dollar at the Dollar Tree), but it's way too easy to slice up your scalp with one of those.
It's great for a face shave, though.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
About to take the plunge into double edge razors. Looking at Mercur and Parker(saw on youtube) start up is gonna be a bit since I have to pick up the soap, bowl, badger brush and a hundred face creams..........

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
cant go wrong with either brands from what ive read. you might want to check out straightrazordesigns.com

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Y'all knock yourselves out! It's legal and there is an economic justification. But I don't really like shaving and want it to be over asap! To me, using a straight edge or DE is like giving up your car and walking everywhere or giving up lighters to use matches. Indeed,it would save money and give some sense of triumph, but there are downsides as well. While it's not for me, I am glad it generates such passion and pleasure for my friends!

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
ah today started well

woke up a little earlier than usual.Started the coffee. Took a long hot shower. Got out the straight razor and shaving brush gave my neck a nice clean shave. Had a huge cup of coffee and a nice hour and a half smoke of mixed EA Carey classic black and newminster no. 17 English Luxus. Theres just something about the rituals of shaving and smoking a pipe that slows life down a minute and let's you relax :)

Status
Not open for further replies.