PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I shaved with a disposable Bick for years because it was quick and easy, but since retiring in '06

I only shave about once a week unless I'm going out. The Bick got clogged-up so I decided to try a

straight razor. The perfect answer, but I don't see how it saves money on blades if you really

get into the hobby. You need a good razor first of all and a good Dovo can run a couple hundred

bucks. Then there's the strop, cup or bowl, brush, soap, stone and stropping paddle.

After several dozen shaves your strop wont sharpen your razor enough so you need a good stone to

re-hone the blade. I suggest a double stone with 4000 grit on one side and 8000 on the other.

Classic Shaving is a good web site for equipment and Lynn Abrams has a great DVD for folks that

are just learning. He covers stropping, re-honing, actual shaving, collecting and anything related

to the straight razor. (Then you'll need to learn to shave with a clenched pipe :wink: )

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
@top- I agree the upfront cost will get you, but for someone like me who goes through fusion cartridges once a week at an average cost of $4 per cartridge times 52 weeks, there's $208. That's not counting shaving cream and everything else. I got a kit that included a Dovo (good blade but cheap scales) strop, brush, cup, shave soap, and aftershave as a kit for just under $200. It came from Lynn Abrams website and came with a coupon for a free re-honing. Throw in a double edge with 10 extra for another $40 and I'm set for a while. The DE blades last as long as the fusion cartridges did, but are about $.40 a piece. If I can stay away from the collecting side of things then I think it can save money in the long run.
@hobie- some guys grow facial hair like real men and it takes a little longer too shave :rofl:

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Yep, as Pipe Novelist mentioned, I post from time to time over on Badger & Blade. I use a DE and am still trying to narrow down my go to blade. Right now I'm leaning towards either Crystals or, most likely, the Astra SP blades. Funny thing, I don't have a gear acquisition issue with the shaving stuff. I have a couple badger and a couple boar brushes and only one razor. However, I am acquiring soaps, creams and aftershaves like a madman.
I have a Dovo Shavette, but I'm not too good with it yet. I plan on heading to the West Coast Pipe Show in a couple of days and am thinking of getting a professional straight razor shave while I'm there.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Yes, I use a straight razor. Have been for about two years.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
@TopD, my mom has the same "Perfect Coffee" cup that you do. It's one of her favorite drinkers.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
i have been using a strait now for 4 years and will not go back to the other way,
you can pick up good qua;ity razors in antique stores for little or nothing. the strait i use cost me less than $10 and is over 80 years old. i also have a de razor that i use that is over 100 years old... that one cost me $15...

billm67

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Camp Hill, PA
I have used both DE and straight razors. I have thinned my heard of Straight Razors down to three or four good ones....but most of the time I use a Merkur DE razor. I also use kiss my face shave cream with a brush and bowl.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
the best of both worlds.. nice straight with-out all the hassle of strop, stones, etc.. the blades will avg 6 to 8 shaves.
FEATHER%20STRAIGHT%20RAZOR%20LIME%20n%20Logo.png

featherproguard.png

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
I just switched to a Murker 38C DE razor this monday and I love it, I've shaved 3 times and each time it gets better. I'm also on B&B and they are a great community too, I would say it rivals this board for friendliness and advice. I keep finding all these fun hobbies that keep making my wallet lighter though. Right now I'm holding off on buying anything for myself for the next two months so people can get me something for Christmas without me all ready buying it.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
I have been using DE razors for about 2 years now. I have a few razors,(only use 3 of them) a couple of brushes and enough soaps and creams to last another couple of years. I'm stuck on the Israeli Personna blades. None of the other blades are as consistent for me. I do have a stash of Dorco blades in case my stash runs dry.
I am a bit of a heretic though. I use Barbasol canned cream often on work mornings. Still way better shaves than any cartridge or multi blade set-up I have ever tried.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I use one about once a week throw aways for touchups. Have been using cup soap and brush for about 30 yrs.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I spend too much money on tobacco so I just have a beard and electric trimmers. I do have to shave the neck beard but Gillette has worked just fine. Interesting hobby but seems a little backwards to me. But then again I mainly listen to vinyl records. :D

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
does seem backwards, but i think it was something that shouldnt have changed. There arent even american manufactures of this stuff anymore. everything comes from europe. it takes more time and i think when manufactures produced the disposables and cartridges and promoted it as being faster people jumped all over. big initial cost up front, but i think cheaper over time (unless it turns into a collecting hobby!!) Its another one of those things that makes you slow down...kind of like pipe smoking.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
@photoman13 Not really backward in my opinon, like hawk60ce said it shouldn't have changed. I get a lot better shave with the DE not that I'm getting the hang of keeping the right angle. With disposables I always had razor bumps and in-grown hairs, but with the DE all I have is a smooth shave. I actually look forward to shaving now.

Status
Not open for further replies.