PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I am both a straight pipe-smoker, and a straight pipe smoker, but I like bent pipes, too. Especially for clenching, which is how I smoke 90% of the time. Other than “clenchability,” I don’t care one way or the other. Both can look good and smoke well.
Some straight pipe-smokers can be a little bent on occasion. Let's be open minded!

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I like all types of pipe shapes and I'm in awe of some of the craftsmanship out there but I have to admit that I enjoy smoking tobacco more in a straight billiard or bulldog than any other type of pipe. It just balances better in my hand and mouth and smokes more to my liking.

Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Although I much prefer the look of a bent pipe, they seem to collect more moisture than straight stem pipes.
Not ever had a straight stem pipe gurgle on me.

Which is why I now have more straight stems than bent.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I have three full bents and a zulu out of fifteen pipes, they’re all in my rotation but I don’t like smoking them when I’m out doors, can’t exactly tell you why though. My fave is the Bulldog, I have a Donegal Rocky with a silver band but that’s the extent of decoration I can stand. These pipes with designs on the bowl look wrong to me.

Reactions: edger

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I almost always go for a straight billiard shape, 2nd choice straight dublin.
I just like the way they handle, smoke and clean, nice and uncomplicated.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I just got a Falcon in the mail today, it’s a standard with a bulldog bowl. The jury is still out on it, I’ll have to smoke a few more to tell you what I think.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
All of my pipes are straight. I have a couple that might have a 1/8 bend maybe, but that's it. Straight pipes just seem to smoke better for me for some reason. All of my briar pipes are sand blasted too, with the exception of one old Grabow. Odd thing is, as I've gotten older (in my late 50's now) I seem to have grown more appreciation for cobs. I reach for those more and more. I seem to get more complex flavors with those, and frankly more enjoyment. Not sure why or if it's all in my head. Sorry, I went a bit off topic there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The practical dimensions of straight versus bent are that straight pipes exert more leverage against your teeth for their weight than bent pipes, and bent pipes stay a little closer to your body leaving your field of vision more clear and don't hit objects if you are maneuvering in closed and/or cluttered spaces. Straight pipes nearly always take a pipe cleaner through to the bowl. For driving or biking, bent pipes do not have the degree of hazard of getting thrust into your throat in a mishap. None of this concerns me in particular, so I enjoy all degrees of straight and bent pipes, but they are considerations in how you use your pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.