PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
what is it about straight pipe smokers that make them prefer straight pipes?

I'm still laughing at this. I guess being straight has nothing to do with my pipe preference. However, I smoke more straight pipes because they actually balance really well for clenching and I can light with one hand and see the flame. Also, I find they keep the smoke out of my eyes. Some bent pipes have a tendency to let the smoke curl into my face. Give one a try and find out for yourself if you like them. We can't tell you that.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Hi, Tony!
I confess to being a strong supporter of the straight pipe, in most of its incarnations. I also confess to owning and enjoying a few cherished bent pipes. However, for me, head and antlers above all other contenders, there is no substitute for the noble straight billiard. It's old school, iconic, and, to me, the very embodiment of piping pleasure. Functionally, I find that the straight billiard provides enough length to keep smoke out of my eyes, the draw is easy, and the burn is cool and even. The bonus round is that cleanup is a snap. The pipes feel good in the hand, are effortless to clench, and lend a certain panache to your mug. If you doubt the popularity of straight pipes, especially the noble billiard, check the pipe locater at Smoking Pipes. There are far more straight billiards on offer than any other shape.
Ultimately, your personal preference and your enjoyment are all that matter. If you like bent shapes, stick with them. If you like crazy artistic shapes, go for it! They all perform very well and provide plenty of enjoyment. On the other hand, if you want to come to the true faith and join the exalted ranks of the Noble Brotherhood of Straight Pipes, rest assured, it's a choice you will not regret. :lol:
Cheers,
Chili

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I prefer the smoking mechanics of straight or partially bent (1/8 or 1/4) pipes. Simple as that. But I do own one 1/2 bent that I enjoy at times, so I am not dogmatic about it. Because I love reading and smoking my pipe outside for much of the year -- I know that is odd, but remember I am a Maple Leaf, so I love bundling up even in the cold for a smoke and a read; remember we have igloos to huddle in if it the temperatures drop too low :) -- I find straighter shapes are less prone to gurgle and no hassle to pass the PCs. Also, there is the subject of the aesthetics of the straight pipe; I do prefer the look for the most part.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My pipes are around 50/50 straight to bent. I like a small bend 1/8-1/4, and only have a few full bends. I like classical shapes and a straight Dublin or Billiard just says look at me, this is what a pipe is supposed to look like. As far as performance if the pipe is well made I see no differences in straight or bent.

To my eyes this pipe is the perfect Billiard and it wouldn't look as good if it was bent.

dunhill4-600x450.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Probably about 1/3 of my collection is straight and which I prefer in a pipe depends on the pipe's overall look as opposed to generalizations. Though, when it comes to billiards, most of mine are bent. I have a few straight billiards but a straight billiard has to have something a bit unique about its appearance to strike my fancy. Some weeks I find myself gravitating to straight and some bent but typically like to mix the 2 daily.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
My collection is probably half and half straight and bent. I have been gravitating towards straight for a while now. It is interesting how my tastes in tobacco and pipes change through the course of time. I am even starting to like bamboo which I hated the look at first. Recently I have seen some done very tastefully. My favorite is a straight billiard though and I don't think that will change.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
badbeard, thanks.

I also picked up this 1967 LB. The difference is the tapered stem. I like the saddle stem on the 1966 better but the tapered one was too good a deal to pass on it.

dun7-600x398.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've always smoked straight pipes mostly for issues with cleaners, but I do love the voluptuous curves of a bent. While a straight is a clean aesthetic, a curve is complex. Many artisan pipes are 1/4 to 1/2 bent and about 5 inches in length; it's as if that design is thought the most popular. I had a Connoisseur that I sold that wasn't a Ramses but shaped very similar. I couldn't see the bowl very well lighting it.

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
Straights when I need to get a pipe cleaner in there (which is often...chuggachuggachugga), or when I'm trying to fill up an old pipe rack I've picked up from the flea market (Seems like they were all designed for use with straights only...what gives?)
Bents, when I feel like looking at the tobacco as I'm lighting it or when I need to "let 'er hang" for awhile.

May 4, 2015
groovediggerdan - I love your avatar. That is one of the most ridiculous and hilarious skits of all time.
Old Prospector, Gus Chiggins!

Status
Not open for further replies.