admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
DON'T FREAKIN' DO IT MAN!
(That's the short answer).
When Bob & I were at the Chicago Pipe Show, Mark Ryan, the owner of L.A. Poche Perique Tobacco gave a seminar on Perique tobacco.
He also handed out samples of Perique leaves straight from the fermenting barrel. They were in heat-sealed plastic bags. I got two of them.
I cut one open a few weeks ago to dry out, as it was still wet from the barrel fermentation.
Every time I walked past it, I was a little scared to try it.
Last night, my courage and adventurism was fueled by Martinis, and I decided to give it a try.
I cut the leaf up with scissors first. Then I got out my best butcher knife and chopped it up into medium size chunks.
I loaded a pipe about 8/10ths of the way with the straight Perique, and then topped it off with Mac Baren's Acadian Perique blend.
When I got to the straight Perique, I found out why they call it a "condiment tobacco".
Imagine if you were grilling a nice chicken breast, or a steak, and you added some pepper to it.
That would make it taste better.
Now imagine you just poured out a spoon full of pepper and ate it by itself.
That is what it was like smoking the straight Perique.
After less than two minutes, I dumped it and called Bob to warn him.
The conversation went like this.
Kevin: "Dude, don't shmoke the shtraight Perique!"
Bob: "Ha ha ha ha ha ha ... I told you man!"
Kevin: "I had a few martinis and decided to try it."
Bob: "Maybe you're lucky that you numbed your mouth a little with the drinks."
Kevin: ... *THUD*
[I embellished the last part.]

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
LOL!
I had my first perique experience last week and it really threw me. That stuff is strong. Thanks for the warning, but I don't think I would have tried it even fueled by Godfathers*.
Simon
* Godfather - 1 oz whiskey, 1 oz amaretto. Neat or over ice. classicgeek's favorite drink.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I actually love Perique blends.
I have said several times in the past that when I was at the processing plant, the aroma was awesome, and the two blends I have smoked that taste and smell like the processing plant are Mac Baren Acadian Perique, and Blakeney's Best (McClelland) Acadian Ribbon.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Im actually considering finding a good pipe tobacco with some perique in it. I used to roll my own cigs and i used some tobaccos that had a bit of perique in it and i liked it.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Perique is like friggin' catnip to me. I tried smoking it straight once...ONCE ! ! ! I got through a bit less than half the bowl before I almost fell out of the chair and chalked it up to experiment/experience. Some of my favourite perique blends are:
-Esoterica's Dorchester

-AC Petersons Escudo

-Solani 633

-Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture

-GL Pease's Haddos Delight and Stradford

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
darn you guys.....you have my curiosity up now. I wish we had a pipe club in the area that allowed you to get together and try out all the different blends. So many blends, so little time.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Having local pipe friends or a pipe club is definitely a great way to sample lots of tobaccos. I Miss it. I learned a lot about tobacco from generous pipe buddies.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I was actually looking into smoking straight perique. My first encounter (and only so far) was with Hearth and Home - Frenchy's Sunzabitches. There were a few moments I noticed the peppery taste and smell. That was the only thing I liked about the blend really. I actually at one point sat and picked out a lot of the perique just to get more of the kick. Now I have found myself actually craving it.
I read The Mystique of Perique and was very interested in one particular statement. Glad these guys brought it back, and now I want to try it straight.
"Some folks want straight Perique, but it’s not something the average person’s going to want, so it’s usually used in a blend, most commonly with Virginia."

I love straight perique. On our tour, Mark had said that not everyone is susceptible to its strength, but occasionally, I like to pack a bowl from the McClelland blending perique and enjoy its musty acidity. Not often, but every now and then.
I also love Mark Ryans cigars, 1881, maduro and perique, nice and tangy.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I am usually not into tangy tobaccos and the bite of Perique or some VA´s is not my pair of shoes. But nevertheless I had to try it pure. Bought it mainly for getting to know how the different blending tobaccos taste so I would be sure what I like. Well, what to say that Kevin hasn´t summed up nicely... I made it about through a quarter of the bowl.... yikes! 8O

BTW, according to Mark, all perique is blended since the 50's, so there is no such thing as straight perique. I also was fascinated with the fact that the burley used is not a strong nicotine burley, and the perique process actually lowers the nicotine. It's the other chemicals produced in the process that just helps the existing nicotine to be ingested/absorbed. We can only absorb a small fraction of the nicotine from the smoke. This is why eating it has a greater effect than smoking it. But, even though Virginias are known for low nicotine, the perique helps us absorb what is there already.

Yeh, Imma nerd. I love this kind of stuff.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The sample Mark gave us during the tour must have been cut, lol. Although, to be fair, I only smoked about a quarter bowl to get the taste. But by the time I tasted the rest of the samples, my head was spinning.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Yeah I loaded up a bowl at La Poche and smoked it - my advice, don't light and immediately retro hale. Holy crap you feel your nostril hair singe a little. On the whole I was able to get through the quarter bowl I loaded but that's about it, I'll leave it as a condiment and not smoke a whole bowl... ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.