PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I obtained a pack of straight perique (for blending) from a shop in Nashville years ago and tried smoking it. Most unpleasant it was, like smoking pepper...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like some full-strength blends, but Perique? No thank you, and no thank you. Perique is a miracle worker for bringing up the nuances and complexities of other leaf, like blended Virginias. To me, it's like hot peppers. Used sparingly, they do miracles. Taken "neat," they are not pleasurable to me. But some like 'em.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Cosmic, I think this is straight Perique, you can buy it by the 1/4#.
https://www.leafonly.com/pipe-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-leaves/perique-whole-raw-leaf-pipe-tobacco

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
What's with all the zombie posts lately?
Is there some kind of contest on digging up the oldest post you can?

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Perique is one of my favorite blending tobaccos. My local shop has a blend called Pirates Alley that is my everyday go to smoke. Never had the stones to smoke it by itself but I guess I need to try it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It seems others have been inspired by the spirit of the Rum/Perique mixture that Mr. Crowley favored:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cornell-amp-diehl-small-batch-the-beast

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It always amazes me. Trends/panics, two sides of the same coin.
But, Kevin makes a good point: if you are smoking a pipe for an aesthetically appealing experience, it may not be what you seek. It is not refined, smooth and elegant. It is not convenient, comfortable and comforting.
It is the raw feral beast of nature breathing fire in your throat.
But for those of us who like that, hey. I mix the stuff with Dark Burley and a moderate amount of stoved Virginia. The result is like tobacco jambalaya but I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.