PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
What's your opinion? Frankly, I can not tell much difference. PS seams to have a little less "staying power" and it is a little sweeter, but, other than that... What am I missing?

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Totally agree with the less sweet. As I'm smoking it (Escudo), I do notice the "pepper" your referring to...cool!

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
+1 Escudo is more peppery and less sweet when compared to PSLBF.
I also find Escudo to be a bit more earthy, at least to my palate.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
PS LBF doesn't interest me when it's fresh. Escudo is a more flavorful smoke for me. But with 4 years of age it becomes a really great smoke. It's a bit sweeter and less peppery than Escudo. But when Escudo ages it gains smoothness and a lovely fruitiness that it doesn't have when fresh and it loses some of that pepperiness.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
For me, they are very different. PS was the Cavendish center chore. When I have tried the blend all I get is the sweet Cavendish flavor coming through. I find it over powers the rest of the blend. I smoke Escudo on a regular basis. Fresh it has a peppery edge. Aged though it smooths out and has a nice rich flavor, with much of the pepper edge subdued.
If you're every lucky enough to score a tin of the original Cope's Escudo, it will be like angels dancing in your mouth. Simply amazing. The difference that 10 or more years of age makes is stunning.
I wish I enjoyed the PS, as the cost is very favorable.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I know Escudo for many is the king of Va/Per's but I personally find Escudo kind of bland and boring. Even very very well aged Escudo.
LBF on the other hand that sweetness does it for me. It's great with 3 or more years of age on it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cannot smoke LBF as it has too much red virginia in it. I tried smoking some that was around 7 years old and it still bit the shit out of my tongue. Plus that black core looks like someone took a shit in the middle of the coin. I like my coins to be shit free. :crazy:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Copes Escudo, as BriarBlues mentioned, is the cat's meow of pipe blends. There simply isn't a better blend in the world than it IMO but sadly has been out of production for several decades.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
"I know Escudo for many is the king of Va/Per's but I personally find Escudo kind of bland and boring. Even very very well aged Escudo."
I'm a fan of Escudo, even though it has a nice spice kick, it can be boring if you like stronger blends. Or if you have already smoked a couple bowls that day. That's why it's my morning blend with a nice cup of tea. :wink:

P

pipebuddy

I have had both and Stokkebye is not equivalent at all, in composition and quality, to Escudo. Now if you want a really good Virginia/Perique, try Fillmore from GL Pease.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sometime in my first year (2014) I smoked first some LBF, a reasonable amount to get the idea, maybe 4 oz. or more.

I hadn't yet smoked Escudo.

When I did get to make that comparison, my first bowl of Escudo was much more 'transformative'.

I suppose I should revisit LBF, but after trying both LNF and LTF, I find it less attractive.

For VaPer Value: go to the Rimboche line of D&R. You might be surprised.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I have not tried LBF yet ( got some arriving tomorrow ).But I do like Escudo very much. I find with Escudo each coin is a bit different. One can be a little more on the sweet side, the next a little more the peppery side. All damn good though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.