PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

orderofsolve

Lurker
Jul 2, 2010
Jack Peterson of Sterling and 1776 tobacco company is the Master! I love everything I've ever smoked from him! Another great Tobacco for the English lover is "Shortcut to Mushrooms" From Just For Him!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums Clarence. I only had Sterling's Country Store Natural, but if that blend is typical of their overall quality, then I've gotta second your opinion. A link to my review of Country Store Natural appears page 1 of this thread.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
After becoming aware of Sterling a few months back, I've smoked a number of Jack's non-aromatics and found them pleasing. 1776 is excellent, as are Chairman of the Board and Country Store Natural, but the one I've put in the cellar is Richmond Blender's Choice. The blend components are pricey, but there is no substitute for this level of quality... It wouldn't surprise me to find that Jack and Steve Books source some of the same tobaccos, as I find myself thinking of both these blenders when I smoke either of their blends. If I lived closer, it would be hard to stay out of their shops. As good as the blends are, I can't help but wonder what some of the house blends that aren't on the inventory are like.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
How fast would you guys say the turn around was? Does he have a store front? I emailed him tonight and in about two weeks I have to take a run up to Freeport and if memory serves Sterling is somewhat along the way! I would like to try a blend of his out before I make plans to swing by his shop, that is if he has one :)

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
How fast would you guys say the turn around was?
If he mails it out at the same pace he did mine, you should have your samples long before you head out for Freeport.
I got my samples (if memory serves correctly) within a week and maybe within 3 or 4 days.
If it turns out Sterling has a brick and mortar store or if on the off chance you get a tour of the warehouse, be sure and post about your experience.
In the meanwhile, enjoy those samples!

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Howdy, I am a big fan of Jack Peterson's blends and have been smoking them for almost 6 months. Actually I heard about Sterling Tobaccos and 1776 Tobaccos on this site.
My favorite is British Grenadier - very complex Medium English with a topping that is sublime. Old Dominion is a favorite too. For a straight on Full English 1776 Tavern & Richmond can't be beat. Feel like something esoteric then try Klompen Kloggen - a very unique and complex Danish blend with hint of sweetness.
I especially appreciate the fact - that I can email Jack and he will send me tobaccos and then...Bill Me! That kind of trust harkens to the days of yore when a man's handshake was all you needed.
Currently I have a small ice chest where I just store my Sterling Blends.:)

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Wow that was a fast turn around! I just received his "sample" today, I put sample in ".." because it was more like an order. He sent me about 2.5 oz of his Sweet Briar blend and about 3 oz of his Bargain blend.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Just got my samples in the mail today and dove into the 1776 Tavern blend. I think I have found a good winter blend, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I prefer light in the summer and heavy in the winter with my beer so I figure I will stay with the same in the tobacco realm. Will give the bargin blend a whirl a bit later tonight, and for the price I might just grab a few pounds just to mix in something different from time to time.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I just talked with Jack from Sterling Tobacco, and he informed me that he once had a store front but the government wanted his building so he either A. sold it to them, or B. they took it from him and threw money at him. He didn't really clarify on that one.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Got my samples yesterday. The aromatic is called Boston Whaler, and the other sample was called bulk tobacco blend, I think. The Boston Whaler is very nice, anyone who likes 1Q should give it a try.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
At this very moment I am I am deeply involved with a bowl of "Chairman of the Board". Im impressed.

I grew up with a family of tobacco farmers.... ourselves in north Florida and a Uncle in Virginia so I like to think that I know something about tobacco.
My first act upon receiving this sample was to pour it thinly onto a paper towel to examine it throughly. This is quality tobacco, not a small amount of quality high flavor tobacco with the majority being lesser tobaccos , but high quality across the board.

My favorite cigar is the Partagas Decades series...this is tobacco that is aged for 10 years, rolled by one preapproved roller and then only 1 in 1000 makes the cut....This if the type of quality and flavor presented in Chairman of the Board.
The room note is very mild, not overly sweet and pleasant. To quote my wife, " Thats nice!" High praise indeed from someone who is normally opposed to anything that doesnt have a room note not unlike the inside of your grandmothers purse!

The flavor is extremely complex but not "busy"...easily smoked just for the enjoyment while at the same time allowing you the option of dissecting the nuances of the blend for hours if you so desire. The ash is fine and white and there was absolutely no excessive moisture or tar.
I suppose that if I were forced to find something to complain about it would be the amount of Latakia. I enjoy an abundance of latakia and the Latakia in this blend is minimal. Its there but just in the background ever so faintly. However, Chairman of the Board is billed as a Light English as indeed it is.
If you are a fan of a pure tobacco blend and enjoy a rich , full taste I certainly recommend Sterlings Chairman of the Board!

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
If you are a fan of a pure tobacco blend and enjoy a rich , full taste I certainly recommend Sterlings Chairman of the Board!
That sounds like some great tobacco. (Those Partagas you mentioned don't sound too shabby either!)

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Just sent off my request. With the praise I've been hearing in this forum, I feel I may be spending some money really soon ha ha.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
got my sample of 1776 Tavern--it's good stuff--really good--
had a complimentary pouch of bargain tobacco--it had a bitter/sour pouch aroma which carried over into the pipe--it eventually disappeared about 2/3 way down the bowl--tried it a couple time in a couple pipes--same result and bit pretty hard--being frugal, i added it to leavins' and added some burley, and black cavendish--works pretty decent there--

Status
Not open for further replies.