PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I e-mailed for a sample on Friday and received the 1776 tavarn and the bargain blend today on Tuesday. Looking forward to trying them.

Winton

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I'm a regular with Jack Peterson and Sterling Tobacco. I've smoked samples of 1776 Tavern, Grenadier, and Bostonian. I've settled on the Bostonian as my go-to smoke. A great blend with great service from a master blender. Highest recommendations in all respects.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I'm a Customer of Jack's 1776 Tavern and Richmond Blender's Choice.

I've wondered if Jack sources some of his blending components from

the same places as Steve Books does. Both of these guys are at the head of

the field as Master Blenders in North America and don't get the attention

that they would if they were more aggressive in marketing.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Sterling recently came out with a light English that is great. If you get a chance you should give it a try.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Try Royal London Dock ... it is outstanding. Jack Peterson is the man. It's interesting that you put him in the same league as Steve Books. I just discovered Rich's Tobaccos not too long ago and his blends totally rock. I think both Steve & Jack are unsung heroes in pipe smoking industry.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Clanobucklin writes: It's interesting that you put him in the same league as Steve Books. I just discovered Rich's Tobaccos not too long ago and his blends totally rock. I think both Steve & Jack are unsung heroes in pipe smoking industry.
I'm in total agreement on this one. Both are Master Blenders with a common interest

in quality blends. They rely on word-of-mouth for their marketing, which gets them

a lot of business. Rich's main store in Portland is a real pleasure to visit and

can easily be the reason for poverty. Steve is quite the character that you never

know what he will say next. I don't smoke their Aromatics, but I understand the

wisdom in having them as part of the blends list, since 3 out of 4 Pipe smokers are

Aromatic smokers. I stay with the English and Balkan blends.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
My favorite Sterling/1776 Blends are:
Royal London Dock - Med/Full English w/ a touch of rum
1776 British Grenadier- English with casing - don't know what it it is tastes like cherry, rum, vanilla,and something else. Delicious
Sweet Briar - Aromatic with a cool vanilla taste.
1776 Dominion - Awesome Toasted cavendish with Rum. Very tasty.
Double Eagle - Aromatic - a very cool burley smoke - harkens to the old timey blends.
1776 Tavern - one of the smoothest Full English blends ever. Got a small stash of this for when I want something special.
I think everyone should support Jack too. Give him a call or email. He is a great guy to do biz with. We need more tobacco blenders/suppliers like him. A rare breed.

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Since I don't recall ever seeing it reviewed, I requested a sample of Cavalier. Winter time is aromatic time in my house, and I'm always looking for something interesting in that line.
Based on the buzz here, I think I'll go ahead and order a few English blends too and put them by for fishing season. Probably 1776 Tavern and Royal London Dock.

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Oh-- and excellent call regarding Rich's, Fred and Clanobucklin. My wife put a two pound assortment from Rich's under the tree for me-- I must have been very good last year.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I want all of you guys to know that I e-mailed Jack (who is a respected friend) and told him of your compliments and he responded that he has signed up for this site. Let's keep our eyes peeled for his appearance on our forums.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I spoke with Jack this evening to get an idea of what sample to ask for. He was entirely gracious. When I offered to pay for the sample or at least the shipping, he very politely declined, and told me that if I liked it, I could become a customer. He's an old style guy doing business in a way very few do these days. Maybe that's something about pipe smokers--we tend to be more relaxed and laid back. After a bit of discussion, I ordered the Old Dominion, and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Great call rafkasev. Old Dominion is excellent choice. A plummy tobacco with rum & a hint of charcoal/toast - very tasty. I hope folks are not taking advantage of Jack. He is very generous soul and as I said in posts back - we need more tobacco merchants like him. Doing business the old fashioned way engenders loyalty, trust and support.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Requested "chairman..." a couple of days ago. Mentiond the websit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.