PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Well, that's partly correct. But this does not apply to every stummel. Let's say Dunhill 4103, the classical Billard and most sold Dunhill Shape. Yes, there is a high chance that they buy the stummels very roughly pre drilled from second sources. By the way, many other very popular big pipe- brands doing it just like that. But let's say a Dunhill 5128 or a Bing is made- here it is very likely that the stummel is made in London too. Either way, for me the pipe is made at Dunhill, a small and insignificant feature doesn't make this or that pipe more or less Dunhill.
Maybe this surprises you. Two decades ago, when the pipes were called Dunhill and there was a Dunhill heading the company, the company "Hijos de Emilio Navarro", from Valencia, Spain, was already turning bowls for Dunhill. This company is the owner of the Bruken, ENA and Emilio Navarro pipe brands, it has been manufacturing pipes for more than a century and if you don't take a look at it, you are missing something interesting.
Can you guys tell me where I can learn more about things like this in the pipe industry? It would be fun to know more about the whole process from burl in the ground to pipe in the hand. I've seen Father the Flame but it was more general and less in depth.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You are amusing, but entirely wrong.
I would be more than happy to be proven wrong, but you haven’t offered anything other than your opinion, which you are, of course, entitled to.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
You are amusing, but entirely wrong.
I would be more than happy to be proven wrong, but you haven’t offered anything other than your opinion, which you are, of course, entitled to.
It would be interesting if you provide data from your statements.
I do not deny that you may be right, but for it to pass from the category of opinion, there should be data.

Starting with:

A)"that “Dunhill” no longer makes pipes.
It may be true, but today you can buy them at:
Among others less known.
They may all be old stock, but given the quantity I'd bet someone is making them.

B)The Dunhill company no longer exists.
This is directly wrong, the company exists. You may have the opinion that Dunhill is a brand of smoking articles that mutated into a luxury brand, but it is exactly the opposite, Dunhill was from its creation a brand of articles for wealthy people that for a period of time manufactured and sold articles for smokers.

C) the Dunhill name was removed from the pipes.
What the pipes have stamped today is exactly "alfred The White Spot Dunhills". In my opinion that is not removing his name from the pipes. In fact the Word Dunhill is on the pipe.

D) the pipes are no longer made in the Dunhill factory, or anywhere in the UK,
This is the point where you are perhaps closest to reason, it is likely that at least some process is carried out in other pipe factories in Europe. Even so, there is a Dunhill pipe factory in London, it is at 32 St Andrews Rd, London E17 6BQ, United Kingdom

E) their ridiculous price.
That the price is ridiculous is a personal appreciation. I probably agree with you, but it's still a matter of point of view.

Reactions: Papamique

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Can you guys tell me where I can learn more about things like this in the pipe industry? It would be fun to know more about the whole process from burl in the ground to pipe in the hand. I've seen Father the Flame but it was more general and less in depth.
When you have been in the hobby for a long time, you meet people who have been in the hobby for a long time and you know sources of information. you get to know some manufacturer or other
But there are Books, the Kris Keene Archive, in pipedia there are digitizations of catalogs and publications, etc.
These are the books I have at home, there must be some more that is not in the photo.
IMG_20220315_232850_487.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It would be interesting if you provide data from your statements.
I do not deny that you may be right, but for it to pass from the category of opinion, there should be data.

Starting with:

A)"that “Dunhill” no longer makes pipes.
It may be true, but today you can buy them at: ...
Pipe sellers continue to desperately try to prop up the old "Dunhill" name and it's associated profit margins, even though the pipes are made in various locals outside the UK.

B)The Dunhill company no longer exists.
This is directly wrong, the company exists. You may have the opinion that Dunhill is a brand of smoking articles that mutated into a luxury brand, but it is exactly the opposite, Dunhill was from its creation a brand of articles for wealthy people that for a period of time manufactured and sold articles for smokers.
The "Dunhill" name is now just a brand, not a company. The Dunhill luxe goods division is owned by Richemont Holdings (UK) Limited. The TM for tobacco use is owned by BAT.

C) the Dunhill name was removed from the pipes.
What the pipes have stamped today is exactly "alfred The White Spot Dunhills". In my opinion that is not removing his name from the pipes. In fact the Word Dunhill is on the pipe.
You are correct. My bad.

D) the pipes are no longer made in the Dunhill factory, or anywhere in the UK,
This is the point where you are perhaps closest to reason, it is likely that at least some process is carried out in other pipe factories in Europe. Even so, there is a Dunhill pipe factory in London, it is at 32 St Andrews Rd, London E17 6BQ, United Kingdom
"Pipe Factory" is a broad term to use for a place that doesn't actually make the stummels.

E) their ridiculous price.
That the price is ridiculous is a personal appreciation. I probably agree with you, but it's still a matter of point of view.
Agreed.

Further reading:

"Who Makes The White Spot Pipes?"

"STG buys Rights to Dunhill Blends"
STG buys Rights to Dunhill Blends - https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/stg-buys-rights-to-dunhill-blends.5358/

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I can’t remember for which big pipe company it is, in the video someone put up in another thread about briar, that Mimmo, the Italian briar expert and pipe-maker, is shown, choosing briar roots and digging them up, transporting them, storing them, cutting the wood, and, making a mass of stummels. He’s a big name in that world, amongs the top of the top pipe-makers and I guess I could see, maybe, how Dunhill could pay him extra to take more time to choose higher quality briar and make the highest quality stummels? If there is such a thing?

Reactions: woodsroad

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
Most of my collection are Stanwells, pre 1990. In our pipe shop in Canada they were always the best price and great smokers. I think I have too many of them. I’d like to get into some other lines. I’ve got a couple of late models but many were heavily varnished.
Good Stan’s are available, mostly on the bay now.

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
All Stanwell. A few 74s and a 163 I believe. I have multiples of many.

Attachments

• 4153248B-42E7-4D44-ACCE-34DF3B3DF509.jpeg
    4153248B-42E7-4D44-ACCE-34DF3B3DF509.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 5BC5469A-CDEC-460D-94EE-28C05DC593DB.jpeg
    5BC5469A-CDEC-460D-94EE-28C05DC593DB.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1CEE02E5-086E-4B97-B7DA-0EF786572643.jpeg
    1CEE02E5-086E-4B97-B7DA-0EF786572643.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Arthur Frayn

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
Last week, I saw a estate Stanwell (pre-2020 Danske made) Legend on SP. The price seemed reasonable to me. I went ahead and clicked 'buy" and added some Bob's Chocolate Flake to bring the total up and over the free shipping thresh hold. It arrived in 3 days. It is a handsome and clean pipe and has a nice open draw. I couldnt be happier. You guys were right about the Danish made Stanwells.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I can’t remember for which big pipe company it is, in the video someone put up in another thread about briar, that Mimmo, the Italian briar expert and pipe-maker, is shown, choosing briar roots and digging them up, transporting them, storing them, cutting the wood, and, making a mass of stummels. He’s a big name in that world, amongs the top of the top pipe-makers and I guess I could see, maybe, how Dunhill could pay him extra to take more time to choose higher quality briar and make the highest quality stummels? If there is such a thing?
As far as I know, Mimmo doesn't harvest Heather, he buys Briar from harvesters on the coast of Spain, France and Italy. I also don't think he has the capacity to make much more than a couple dozen pipes a year. The Briar is deceptive, selecting the best of all briars does not guarantee that the bowl will not be ruined during manufacturing. What Dunhill does is buy turned bowls that have come out of excellent quality at the end of the process.

Last week, I saw a estate Stanwell (pre-2020 Danske made) Legend on SP. The price seemed reasonable to me. I went ahead and clicked 'buy" and added some Bob's Chocolate Flake to bring the total up and over the free shipping thresh hold. It arrived in 3 days. It is a handsome and clean pipe and has a nice open draw. I couldnt be happier. You guys were right about the Danish made Stanwells.
Great to hear, congrats! I prefer them, myself. The new ones are nice, but (to me) they are Stanwell in markings only. But, I bet they smoke well too. Just without that connection to the masters. IMO

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
IMG_20180507_232020999.jpgIMG_20180507_232013572.jpgIMG_20180507_232055377.jpgIMG_20180507_232152418.jpgIMG_20180507_232338979.jpgIMG_20180507_232212595.jpgOldie but Goldie, from my own collection.
img_20180507_232007501-jpg.202172

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_232007501.jpg
    IMG_20180507_232007501.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 59

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Most of my collection are Stanwells, pre 1990. In our pipe shop in Canada they were always the best price and great smokers. I think I have too many of them. I’d like to get into some other lines. I’ve got a couple of late models but many were heavily varnished.
Good Stan’s are available, mostly on the bay now.
Check out listings in The Danish Pipe Shop's estate section.
They have a fair selection of Stanwells, though rarer ones don't last long.
They list unsmoked ones from time to time (from collectors)

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
As far as I know, Mimmo doesn't harvest Heather, he buys Briar from harvesters on the coast of Spain, France and Italy. I also don't think he has the capacity to make much more than a couple dozen pipes a year. The Briar is deceptive, selecting the best of all briars does not guarantee that the bowl will not be ruined during manufacturing. What Dunhill does is buy turned bowls that have come out of excellent quality at the end of the process.
Father the Flame showed him going out with some guys to harvest some burls. But maybe this was just him going with the harvesters in Italy for the movie.

Reactions: Alejo R.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I started with my dad’s collection (him in his early nineties, and me in my mid fifties). All Danes or Danish-inspired, except a MM Freehand-allfrom the early seventies.
A Stanwell 90 tomato, 70 volcano, Royal Danish 988 Billiard and 924M Volcano.
I love those four, but the Volcanos don’t travel to work in the field well, and the billiard is a much bigger bowl than I like most of the time.

I just had an very reasonable offer accepted on this “My Own Blend” Danish Lovat that’s just right. I can’t wait to get it, the ring grain looks awesome!
9A5C98FB-DD37-4BE2-984B-B363A9B8CC76.jpeg7E1CD41E-373A-4AC8-BDB1-ACA40826653A.jpegD5B7E2D6-3052-4FFD-933B-CD9468E3C300.jpeg704AD4EA-0549-4AA3-ADFF-4BAD8E0B03AC.jpeg
No comment on new “Stanwell” pipes, other than I won’t be seeking any out.