Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
As stated already, I dig the Danish pipes from Stanwell. Especially the hand-cut series. Also, most Stanwells I've owned have smoked well. Great pipes for under 100 bucks. Also, some great shapes and nice finishes that you don't find in pipes under 100 bucks.

Reactions: keith929

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
For me the head scratcher is why they aren't carried by smoking pipes or cup o joes.
I buy most of my new pipes there.
Being that they are such an old and respected brand I find it odd that they aren't sold more widely,
Because STG won’t sell to them. They are competitors to CI/P&C, which are wholly owned by STG. STG has it’s head up it’s ass.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The big Difference is that Dunhill -"The White Spot" still operates an own production facility, and the people in charge really have a profund knowledge about pipes and a lot of passion.
I thought (whoever the hell actually owns the pipe business formerly known as Dunhill) stopped producing it’s own pipes years ago. No?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
For me the head scratcher is why they aren't carried by smoking pipes or cup o joes.
I buy most of my new pipes there.
Being that they are such an old and respected brand I find it odd that they aren't sold more widely,
Scandinavian Tobacco Group owns Cigars International and Pipes & Cigars, so it makes sense that’s where you’d be able to buy Stanwell pipes. They have a built in exclusive.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Is Laudisi doing the same thing with Peterson? It looks like P&C have some Petes but not a ton.

Also, does anyone know why Laudisi sells Petersons, etc. to B&Ms at much higher prices than it sells them on SPC?

Aran 03:

$90 at SPC: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=529930
$112.50 at Laudisi: LDG - Laudisi Distribution Group - https://www.laudisi.com/moreinfo.cfm/peterson-pipes/aran-13/aran-rusticated-03-fishtail/316000

That’s MSRP price, not what B&M’s pay.

Reactions: Alejo R.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
STG owns Stanwell and Laudisis owns Peterson, so they each have the best prices on the brands of pipes they own, in most cases. A few years ago, the savings on Stanwells were amazingly good, and they are still substantial, especially compared to the prices that used to be charged on the Danish made pipes. Laudisi has brought back quality control at Peterson and I hear few complaints on that these days. So far, both buy-outs have been good for their pipe-smoking customers. I've been lucky with Peterson; most of mine are mid-range priced pipes, and none of them has had a quality problem.

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
I thought (whoever the hell actually owns the pipe business formerly known as Dunhill) stopped producing it’s own pipes years ago. No?
Absolutely not. Those news are made by the ones that don't like the brand- or even hate it. But i will see myself very soon. I will visit the factory in London on March 13th-15th.

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
Is Laudisi doing the same thing with Peterson? It looks like P&C have some Petes but not a ton.

Also, does anyone know why Laudisi sells Petersons, etc. to B&Ms at much higher prices than it sells them on SPC?

Aran 03:

$90 at SPC: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=529930
$112.50 at Laudisi: LDG - Laudisi Distribution Group - https://www.laudisi.com/moreinfo.cfm/peterson-pipes/aran-13/aran-rusticated-03-fishtail/316000
The problem with Peterson is that they are very low on their wood stocks. They have to calculate precisely who and where they sell pipes to. This is also the reason behind it why they push so hard for rustic and dark finishes. This problem will accure with other pipe manufacturers soon, stocks are getting lower and lower everywhere.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Absolutely not. Those news are made by the ones that don't like the brand- or even hate it. But i will see myself very soon. I will visit the factory in London on March 13th-15th.
My understanding, from multiple sources, is that the stummels are not made in the UK. “White Spot” pipes are finished in the UK, but not made there. It’s been that way for years.

JEdwards

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2022
Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Earth
The problem with Peterson is that they are very low on their wood stocks. They have to calculate precisely who and where they sell pipes to. This is also the reason behind it why they push so hard for rustic and dark finishes. This problem will accure with other pipe manufacturers soon, stocks are getting lower and lower everywhere.

I wondered why SP was listing so many SH series with the dark "heritage" finish... Makes sense now.

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
My understanding, from multiple sources, is that the stummels are not made in the UK. “White Spot” pipes are finished in the UK, but not made there. It’s been that way for years.
Well, that's partly correct. But this does not apply to every stummel. Let's say Dunhill 4103, the classical Billard and most sold Dunhill Shape. Yes, there is a high chance that they buy the stummels very roughly pre drilled from second sources. By the way, many other very popular big pipe- brands doing it just like that. But let's say a Dunhill 5128 or a Bing is made- here it is very likely that the stummel is made in London too. Either way, for me the pipe is made at Dunhill, a small and insignificant feature doesn't make this or that pipe more or less Dunhill.

Reactions: AroEnglish

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, that's partly correct. But this does not apply to every stummel. Let's say Dunhill 4103, the classical Billard and most sold Dunhill Shape. Yes, there is a high chance that they buy the stummels very roughly pre drilled from second sources. By the way, many other very popular big pipe- brands doing it just like that. But let's say a Dunhill 5128 or a Bing is made- here it is very likely that the stummel is made in London too. Either way, for me the pipe is made at Dunhill, a small and insignificant feature doesn't make this or that pipe more or less Dunhill.
You can obfuscate all you want about it, but the fact is that “Dunhill” no longer makes pipes. The Dunhill company no longer exists, the Dunhill name was removed from the pipes, the pipes are no longer made in the Dunhill factory, or anywhere in the UK, yet people keep trying to justify their ridiculous price.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
You can obfuscate all you want about it, but the fact is that “Dunhill” no longer makes pipes. The Dunhill company no longer exists, the Dunhill name was removed from the pipes, the pipes are no longer made in the Dunhill factory, or anywhere in the UK, yet people keep trying to justify their ridiculous priceI see
You can obfuscate all you want about it, but the fact is that “Dunhill” no longer makes pipes. The Dunhill company no longer exists, the Dunhill name was removed from the pipes, the pipes are no longer made in the Dunhill factory, or anywhere in the UK, yet people keep trying to justify their ridiculous price.
I see whats going on here. You know the "truth" before anyone else can convince you that you might be wrong. It's ok, non of my arguments or proofs that the facts may be different wouldn't reach you. You believe in it, so you are a believer. I respect that. But don't confuse it with beeing a knower.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Maybe this surprises you. Two decades ago, when the pipes were called Dunhill and there was a Dunhill heading the company, the company "Hijos de Emilio Navarro", from Valencia, Spain, was already turning bowls for Dunhill. This company is the owner of the Bruken, ENA and Emilio Navarro pipe brands, it has been manufacturing pipes for more than a century and if you don't take a look at it, you are missing something interesting.