PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
To regurgitate the well known, in many sectors some producers position themselves at higher price points in order to market to those who find a certain satisfaction in acquiring the higher ticket version of a thing (whether or not the objective value of the thing is proportionally greater, or greater at all).

In many cases, different "lines" are put out by the same producer in order to appeal to bottom, middle, and top shelf consumers -- and in many cases, the differences among these lines are skin-deep at best.
(In some cases, the consumer even knows this and buys the higher ticket item anyway.)

I could be mistaken, but I've wondered if this isn't in play with SPC. Perhaps they simply wish to position themselves as a luxury brand.

They could be under the impression that their products are so far superior to alternatives that they can command these prices; but, I really don't think so -- they can't possibly miss that more affordable blends (in any given genre) are more highly rated.
So they must simply be aiming to profit by scratching the perceived-luxury itch of one subset of consumers.

(I'll grant that their bourbon barrel aged version of PP may be an exception insofar as it has no current competitor, FMC no longer being produced.)

To be fair, few people would not produce less and profit more if they could.

If you think that I'm missing something, I'm listening.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I guess some people are under the impression that if something costs more, it must be better. Many of us know that this is not true. To be fair, I've tried a few different blends from SPC and just really didn't care for them. For me, their products are not worth the asking price. Luckily, I have several favorite blends that can be obtained for around $40/lb or less. Sometimes less is more.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
To regurgitate the well known, in many sectors some producers position themselves at higher price points in order to market to those who find a certain satisfaction in acquiring the higher ticket version of a thing (whether or not the objective value of the thing is proportionally greater, or greater at all).

In many cases, different "lines" are put out by the same producer in order to appeal to bottom, middle, and top shelf consumers -- and in many cases, the differences among these lines are skin-deep at best.
(In some cases, the consumer even knows this and buys the higher ticket item anyway.)

I could be mistaken, but I've wondered if this isn't in play with SPC. Perhaps they simply wish to position themselves as a luxury brand.

They could be under the impression that their products are so far superior to alternatives that they can command these prices; but, I really don't think so -- they can't possibly miss that more affordable blends (in any given genre) are more highly rated.
So they must simply be aiming to profit by scratching the perceived-luxury itch of one subset of consumers.

(I'll grant that their bourbon barrel aged version of PP may be an exception insofar as it has no current competitor, FMC no longer being produced.)

To be fair, few people would not produce less and profit more if they could.

If you think that I'm missing something, I'm listening.
I think you’re right on the money - the black packaging with gold filigree telegraphs their product positioning on the luxury side of the spectrum, which makes sense when you look at the brands Sutliff owns. Aside from SPC, I don’t believe they have anything in the premium space, with most of their blends sitting in the bulk, value, and mainline market spaces.

I couldn’t speak as to whether this is earned or not, I’ll leave that to palates more refined than mine, but it certainly has a cult following among certain groups!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I haven’t tried their blends due to the price tag but I have wondered the same thing.

At first I was reading this thinking of smokingpipes.com.

I motion that henceforth the acronym “SPC” only be used for Seattle Pipe Club with “SP” or “SP.C” be used for smokingpipes.com.

Is there a second?

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
Pipe Force & Birds of a Feather are/were $15/ 1.5oz tin, so it’s in line with Sutliff’s premium tins. The barrel aged SPC stuff is a little more than that but it’s basically in line with what they charge for others in that range

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
AroEnglish said:

I haven’t tried their blends due to the price tag but I have wondered the same thing.

At first I was reading this thinking of smokingpipes.com.

I motion that henceforth the acronym “SPC” only be used for Seattle Pipe Club with “SP” or “SP.C” be used for smokingpipes.com.

Is there a second?

Hillcrest:

Second.

All in favor ? (Yeps will be counted as Ayes):ROFLMAO:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I tried Plum Pudding. It was on sale but it is priced at a high point. If it were better than others I wouldnt mind but I dont think it is. Its good but there are others on equal footing with better price points.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For those of you who skipped these due to the price point, you’ve missed something.
Yeah, they cost a little more, but there’s more in the tin - 2 to 4 oz rather than the standard 50 to 100 grams. They’’re the product of Joe Lankford, an extraordinarily gifted blender whose taste ran toward the strong and pungent, with leaf sourced from all over, and prime long aged leaf involved in some of these blends. Taken together, these blends express a decidedly personal view.
That said, most of them are strong English blends, and not the grass clippings so often celebrated here, but as I don’t smoke English blends and can only tolerate Latakia in small amounts, these are not for me. Fortunately, SPC has offered some intriguing Virginia blends, like Deception Pass, and more recently Hogshead, the latter offering me the first completely unique, different, surprising, and delicious smoking experience I’ve enjoyed in years. For me, Hogshead is one of the few newer blends actually worth buying. SPC has since offered more Virginia, which I haven’t tried as I’ve stopped buying except for the Esterval’s experiment.
All of this is subjective. Some people LIKE grass clippings, green gassy tobacco that’s aged for 30 seconds before it’s sold to you, and if that’s your thing, rock on.
It’s not my thing.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
The 3 Virginia blends I've tried were great, Hogshead being my favorite. Down Yonder and VA Jazz being the other 2. Hogshead was the only one I stocked up on. The prices are just kind of absurd. For $10 per ounce, I can go buy some of my favorites that are no longer in production. Bottom line, the blends are very good. Just not sure it's worth the coin to me. I'd probably buy some if there was ever a 20% off sale. Otherwise there's just too many other affordable blends out there.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Prices are crazy everywhere. However, when I see a “luxury item” I can’t afford or refuse to buy …i just move on. The perception of quality comes with a ticket price, and it is the buyer’s responsibility to determine if it’s worth it. Not everyone has Caviar & Champagne taste…I’m partial to Choice Ribeye 🥩 & Maxwell House. 😆. That being said I doubt SPC pricing supports what’s in the can. ☕

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Spoil yourself. Go ahead.

Capture.PNG

I cannot speak for how other psyches work, but FWIW (which may be nothing), my own psyche reacts hard against any advertisement like this. I immediately feel manipulated and dig my heels in.

If I got online to buy this tin, and then when I was just about to complete the purchase I saw these words, my brain would immediately say "No" and not go through with the purchase.

But I must be unusual in that regard, or else they wouldn't use this kind of ad.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
For those of you who skipped these due to the price point, you’ve missed something.
Yeah, they cost a little more, but there’s more in the tin - 2 to 4 oz rather than the standard 50 to 100 grams. They’’re the product of Joe Lankford, an extraordinarily gifted blender whose taste ran toward the strong and pungent, with leaf sourced from all over, and prime long aged leaf involved in some of these blends. Taken together, these blends express a decidedly personal view.
That said, most of them are strong English blends, and not the grass clippings so often celebrated here, but as I don’t smoke English blends and can only tolerate Latakia in small amounts, these are not for me. Fortunately, SPC has offered some intriguing Virginia blends, like Deception Pass, and more recently Hogshead, the latter offering me the first completely unique, different, surprising, and delicious smoking experience I’ve enjoyed in years. For me, Hogshead is one of the few newer blends actually worth buying. SPC has since offered more Virginia, which I haven’t tried as I’ve stopped buying except for the Esterval’s experiment.
All of this is subjective. Some people LIKE grass clippings, green gassy tobacco that’s aged for 30 seconds before it’s sold to you, and if that’s your thing, rock on.
It’s not my thing.
I'm a big fan of Deception Pass (the only SPC I've tried so far). Thank you for the plug re Hogshead! that will be the next one I open, to go with a new pipe I've been mulling what to have as 'first smoke.' puffy

Last edited:
Reactions: SBC

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
View attachment 275278

I cannot speak for how other psyches work, but FWIW (which may be nothing), my own psyche reacts hard against any advertisement like this. I immediately feel manipulated and dig my heels in.

If I got online to buy this tin, and then when I was just about to complete the purchase I saw these words, my brain would immediately say "No" and not go through with the purchase.

But I must be unusual in that regard, or else they wouldn't use this kind of ad.