PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
I’ll pay more for something I like more, but I dislike marketing hype and trends. I’ll pay for Dunhill Nightcap because it’s my favourite strong English, but I won’t pay for Dunhill Virginia flake anymore, I can get Orlik or Gawith flakes cheaper and better. Edit; I meant Peterson instead of Dunhill.

Last edited:

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Put me in the thanks, but no thanks club for SPC blends. I really liked Plum Pudding when I was in love with Rnglish blends, but I'm mostly off English/Balkan now except the lighter ones occasionally. But even if I was still going strong on Latakia I don't think I'd pay what they're asking for PP these days.

I haven't tried SPC virginia blends yet, I may give a couple of those s try if I see them go on sale.

From what I did smoke the SPC blends certainly are good quality and Joe Lankford was most certainly a great blender. RIP.

Reactions: AroEnglish

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Not a fan of Seattle Pipe Club myself, but I'm even less of a fan of SPC being used for SmokingPipes in lieu of what I think it should be abbreviated as: SP! The C just throws everything off. You don't see people using TPC or PCC to refer to TobaccoPipes and Pipes & Cigars respectively, so why do it with SmokingPipes? Am I missing something here?

54D282F1-202F-4C78-9E3D-B97256C8012A.jpeg

8C9EF748-A534-4181-A5BA-E30ECB8D10B6.gif

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Supply and demand. There are people paying for it, so they set the price targeted at those folks. It's either sell few at higher price, or sell a lot at slightly lower price. Of course, third option is to sell a lot at higher price, but that takes Eskimo who can sell a Speedo to 90 year old man. Personally, i didn't enjoy PP all that much. Have two other versions of PP, but sitting on it due to underwhelming excitement.

Reactions: FLDRD

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
I came over from the world of cigars, where the difference between a $10 Avo and a $25 Davidoff (made by the same company) is negligible (to me at least).
Even at a 25% premium, the difference in cost of a bowl of an SPC blend vs a more mass market blend comes out to maybe 25 cents a bowl.
Doesn't really seem worth fussing over. I still think pipe tobacco is one of the world's few great remaining affordable luxuries.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In this case it's more marketing than inflation. In 2015, Mac Baren literally doubled their prices overnight to try to enter the luxury status. It failed and six months later their prices started dropping back down. The same year, Pipes and Cigars had to drop 8 ounce tins of Seattle blends from $28 to $18 to get them to move. It seems Seattle is attempting the advertising hack of costing more = better quality.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Mississippi River and Plum Pudding are two of my favorites. I also really liked Deception Pass, and Pike Place, which was removed from shelves and re-labeled as Hood Canal. I still have a tin of Pike Place.

As for the price, Christmas Spirit, Hogshead, and Give Me Liberty are all 4oz tins as compared to the other selections being 2oz tins. If you break down the cost, those are equivalent to $21.59 and $19.56 as compared to the other tobaccos being $19.58 / 2oz tin. The 8oz offerings of Mississippi River and Plum Pudding give you the best value for those blends as it brings the cost down to $13.73 / 2oz. Which is on par with most tins from any other brand. The SPC tins are a few dollars more per tin as compared to some other brands but they are also on par with others brands. Remember they are 2oz tins whereas some other brands only offer 50g tins which is only 1.76oz. Overall, I don't think the price points are too far out there especially if you enjoy the tobaccos.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
My first bowl of PP was a bit of a let-down, however I do really like Mississippi River a lot. I do have a few others cellared, but have not tried them. If one searches, several of the SCP blends can be found at pretty good discounts. ;)

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have the special reserve version of Plum Pudding. I like it well enough that when they made a flake version, I bought one tin of it (because I hate prepping plugs the way Plum Pudding comes in... I try to avoid plugs at all cost unless they're made like how C&D does theirs where they tear apart easily in the hand and are still consistent, but if it needs sawing and cutting, pass).

I haven't tried any other blend they make, not even the regular version of Plum Pudding. And I like my English blends quite a bit heavier than the ones many people rave about.

I don't know if Plum Pudding Special Reserve is worth the price or not. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it's not a bad blend. I certainly wouldn't call it premium either though. I personally won't buy it again, but that's partly because there's plenty of other English blends I prefer more (like Quiet Nights and the Drucquer & Sons stuff, and I still have other GLP English creations left to try). The other part is that, although I like it well enough, I don't like it enough to buy again at any price point—like a movie, I saw it already, I don't need to see it again, it's not one of the rare ones I could rewatch 100 times and still enjoy it.

As to marketing, I tend to ignore all of it. How a company markets itself usually won't put me off of it. I understand marketing and the need for it, as long as they're not being too dishonest. I think buyers and sellers should both beware. Everyone should beware of everyone regardless, people are dangerous and largely all liars, thieves and crooks; two-faced and dishonest. But I've been accused of being bitter and cynical, and maybe they're right, I did consider getting a lantern tattooed on my hand until I found out it would more likely be confused with some other trend than what it is supposed to be (a reference to Diogenes of Sinope), and also because it would be prominent and people would ask me about it, which would get annoying. So I pretty much ignore all of it.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Its good tobacco but to me no better than other good tobacco. Its not available in the EU and it’s basically what we pay from Germany for anything. Since we dont have bulk its in line with typical prices. My sis brought me some. Before I had covid I could taste lat. hopefully my sense of smell will return. I found I preferred HU Fayyum cake better but not by much and it’s easier to obtain. We don’t have the luxury of bulk tobacco in the EU. Its all tin price with a few that can be bought in 100 and 250 gram lots.

Reactions: jipper

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
This is an interesting topic. I have never bought any SPC blends. I am intrigued by some of their more recent Virginia blends, but for some reason it’s a brand I just don’t buy. I have no good reason for that, as I do try new things occasionally. I think it might be that I just don’t want to know.

I’m largely done “stocking up” on anything, so another widely available blend that I try and really like is just another thing to “worry” about. Gotta stock up, gotta stock up, etc. Yes, I know: what a wonderfully ridiculous first world problem to have. The flip side of this irrationality is that I’ve been enjoying bouncing around the KBV blends. Their widely varying availability levels is almost liberating; I just assume I can’t stock up anyway, so I get back to just having fun trying something new. The KBV and SPC prices are similar, so that’s not stopping me from buying KBV.

Oh well, this is all discretionary spending anyway, so I’ll roll with being irrational.

Warlee

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2022
Michigan
Shot in the dark, but I wonder if the yearly production capacity on some of the SPC blends is simply maxed out. They can either be forever “out of stock”, like what happens with so many others or they can raise prices and position themselves as a luxury brand.

Reactions: SBC