PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
No preference, really. I'd like to have a conversation whilst puffing on my pipe. The problem is that most people don't want to be around tobacco smoke or ride in a car aromatised by a smoking pipe; so, they can trout off and walk home. One of those situations in which what's wrong with you is others. puffy

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I mostly smoke my pipe alone after dinner to unwind quietly. I love my Saturday morning coffee and pipe time. Cigars same, but enjoy having them with a friend or two that smoke. Cigarettes are the sneaky treat I have at band practice once a week. 50 years old and still pretend to not really smoke. I know it’s sad, but you know it’s true!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m socially antisocial.
For the most part l’m very content to smoke my pipes in peace and that can be alone or in the company of others.
At a pipe show I’m happy to sit at a table with others, share tobacco, talk pipes, or kibbitz in general. I enjoy smoking during a Zoom call or just on the phone.
And I’m happy to enjoy my smokes in solitude, pretending that I think deep thoughts.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I would say I’m a sociable smoker with little to zero place to do just that.

I smoke alone at the moment mostly because of the COVID situation. I’m looking forward to being able to see other people properly. Sit outside, enjoy a beer or 10 and smoke.

That said if I had none of the above opportunities I’d still smoke alone. As it’s definitely not all bad.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Almost all my pipe time is on the weekends so I look forward to it as my "down time" - to read the newspapers or a book for an hour or two.
I have a couple of friends who smoke pipes, and this Easter both came over for a couple of drinks and to exchange a bowl or two of different blends. It was a most pleasant companionable interlude with like-minded brethren.

Ok ok ok... I prefer not to have to take my pipe out of my clench when smoking, because that is essential to my enjoyment of smoking a pipe. But, I do go out with my wife shopping and chose a place off to the side of anyone else or just somewhere where I can enjoy my pipe in peace, but there is something magical about pipes that attracts people. I have been asked to allow a child to smell my tobacco, angsty women want to set down and tell me their woes, other men interested and wanting to ask questions about pipes, and people that just want to set near me to smell my tobacco.
I don't have a natural paranoia that people are offended by my smoke. In fact, I have seen way more evidence in roaming the country that people love pipe smoke; Virginias, VaPers, burleys, Latakia, you won't find me smoking any tooty fruities very often... not where people will see me doing it anyways. Maybe the rare Karen in the wild and her fake cough, but I just assume no one likes that slack jawed bitch anyways, ammmirite?

Essentially, I am a better listener than I am a jawer. So, listening while smoking, I can do. I can smile, nod... just listen. If asked a question, I'll wait till I have hit a point where I might need to tamp anyways before responding. If they're in a hurry, no sweat on me. An emergency on someone else's part, NEVER translates into an emergency on my part.

I love people. I am just not that adept at communicating. A pipe is my excuse to just be naturally more introverted. My wife will have her girlfriends over, and I don't mind enjoying my pipe on the deck with them. I just don't want to interact, but I listen. Laugh when appropriate (most of the time), and I enjoy being around them. I just don't want to take my pipe out of my mouth.

I think that keeping my mouth shut, and being the listener makes me a better social person. If I have something to say, I can tell you guys on here. puffy I am introverted, but that doesn't make me anti-social at all.

Yeh, cigar guys, get around them, and all they want to do is swing dicks and have pissing contests. I'll just be here smoking, laughing internally at the toxic masculinity. I don't mind being around it, just don't ask me questions, unless your willing to wait till :::I::: feel like taking my pipe out of my mouth.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Does smoking a pipe during coitus count as "social?"
As long as you are using a proper ashtray on her back then you are good to go.

I smoke in my house all day and night and I am rarely alone. I have a live in caretaker and my oldest son just moved back in from spending around 8 years in California. It is great having him home. When I was a cigar smoker I was very social. I hung out at my buddies cigar store with a nice lounge in the back. We would smoke our cigars do some day trading and played lots of cards. The days I wasn't there I was at my pool hall playing pool and playing cards. I smoked cigars at both places and the pipe was for home use.

For me the pipe is a sitting down and hanging on sites like this having fun with my pipe buddies. When ever I would light my pipe at the cigar lounge the guys would call me sissy, pussy, pole smoker every name in the book and I would just sit back and laugh. I did convince one guy to become a pipe smoker as well as cigars. I do miss my guys as some would hang out at both spots. The card games were all money games and we played Spades, Hearts, and Hi Lo Jack or some people call it Set Back. 18 years straight we had games at the pool hall. I was never bothered by the cops or the mob as I had friends on both sides of the aisle and I was considered Switzerland, neutral ground.

In the summers everyone came to my house because I had a really cool pool that was always warm and it was 20 by 40 and kidney shaped. I had a 350,000 btu heater on my pool and come may 1st that scuker was cranked. It took maybe 2 days to get the temp to 88-90 degrees. In the mornings the steam rising was cool looking. My heating bill for that month was normally around 650.00, I closed the pool October 1 and the september bill was high.. Diving board and Slide were a must. Friends always brought their kids as they were always welcome. I grew up in the generation of being seen but never heard. We never hung out with my parents and their friends and I purposely changed that with my kids. They went everywhere with us. They knew how to behave in nice restaurants and they never ate off a kids menu. As soon as the could chew they were eating squid and clams and lobster. They called the squid chewy fish and they had to have it any time we went for Chinese food. They also were eating sushi a lot because I loved it so they did as well.

Now I sit in my home basically a cripple(my addiction to tennis and golf ruined my health) smoking my 5-7 bowls a day. I hang out here and a couple of other sites, no social media, not my thing and if I went in with my cigar handle I would be inundated with messages and I just can't handle that kind of traffic anymore.
I am very grateful that I have a nice cellar, some pretty nice pipes, my lighter stash(I have lighter fetish) pipe ashtrays placed next to any where I sit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums is the most egocentric way of being social. You socialize only when you want and come back hours or a day or two later, to see if anyone responded to your post. And smoke any time you can or want, and don't have to share any tobacco. But it is social. This cannot be denied.