Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2020
Portland, OR
Good Question. I'm definitely on the anti-social end of the spectrum. I tend to smoke when i'm ruminating on something or at the end of the day to decompress. if I had a friend that smoked too I'd probably enjoy smoking and conversing with them, but I'm generally pretty introverted so i'm not usually inclined to things like clubs.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pipes are fine with very very close friends.

What I don't expect to hear from pipe smokers but will hear from cigar smokers is that uppity talk meant to show off supposed knowledge. "I'm an expert about cigars. This brand is better than that brand, ...."

When pipe smokers are with each other they just smoke.
glad you have not met some of the pipe smokers I have. They give thee impression that they missed the memo that snob isn't a compliment or a thing to strive for. Seriously I've been told I know nothing about pipes more then a few times for having the audacity to smoke things otherwise then pure english or VA more times then I can count.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Antisocial pipe smoker. It’s a “my time” thing but I don’t personally know anyone that smokes a pipe even if I wanted to be a social smoker, so kind of a moot point.

Cigarettes are a social thing. Used to buy a pack on Army Teserve weekends and would share them with my buddies out at the smoke pit. Maybe sometimes burn a few if I was out drinking. Can’t remember the last time I got a pack

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
glad you have not met some of the pipe smokers I have. They give thee impression that they missed the memo that snob isn't a compliment or a thing to strive for. Seriously I've been told I know nothing about pipes more then a few times for having the audacity to smoke things otherwise then pure english or VA more times then I can count.
Being an asshole know-it-all is highly over rated. Being one when it comes to being a pipe smoker reinforces the negative stereotypes of pipe smokers as communists.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would expect most pipe smokers to be mostly solo smokers, just because the social aspect of smoking has been discouraged by our cultures. When my dad smoked his pipe, Granger from a pouch only, smoking was everywhere in the culture. So part of smoking a pipe was incorporating the pauses for puffs as well as the gesturing with the pipe, pointing with the stem, and maybe occasionally knocking out the ash and re-packing and lighting the pipe, into the conversation. It is choreography. It is part of the art. It was a whole thing. But we don't do that anymore. Further, even before the pandemic, the art of conversation, with or without smoking anything, has been gravely compromised. People steep in loud music, noisy crowds preempting hearing much from each other, so there is no stage for smoking because there isn't much talking. It can be done; I've seen it done. But it is not credited by our times.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Bars and restaurants still had smoking sections here in NC until about 15 years ago. If they still did now, I'd be puffing it up any time I was at one.
When I do go out to places with smoker friendly patios, I always take my pipe. Usually hear lots of compliments and stories of how grandpa always smoked a pipe.
I appreciate smoking alone as much as anyone, but the benefits to cognition bestowed by the pipe are welcome during social interaction as well. Also, I have something to do when all the cigarette smokers rally outside between each round.
Some classic UK blends seem like they were made for smoking in the pub. StBruno, Condor, McQuaid, even some Lakelands like RD Honeydew, or #7 Broken Flake all go perfectly with a pint of bitter, brown, or stout. Also, most of them go out after every 3 or 4 puffs, so wetting your whistle and talking some junk between relights gives enough time to let the pipe cool down, reducing risk of tongue bite!?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Bars and restaurants still had smoking sections here in NC until about 15 years ago. If they still did now, I'd be puffing it up any time I was at one.
When I do go out to places with smoker friendly patios, I always take my pipe. Usually hear lots of compliments and stories of how grandpa always smoked a pipe.
I appreciate smoking alone as much as anyone, but the benefits to cognition bestowed by the pipe are welcome during social interaction as well. Also, I have something to do when all the cigarette smokers rally outside between each round.
Some classic UK blends seem like they were made for smoking in the pub. StBruno, Condor, McQuaid, even some Lakelands like RD Honeydew, or #7 Broken Flake all go perfectly with a pint of bitter, brown, or stout. Also, most of them go out after every 3 or 4 puffs, so wetting your whistle and talking some junk between relights gives enough time to let the pipe cool down, reducing risk of tongue bite!?
so true. Smoking a pipe goes so well with social drinking. Though I have to admit I've heard the grandpa compliments often. Though I read it as complaints, which is funnier. That reminds me grandpa that bastard.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
How about, " It's my experience, smokers just smoke when in the company of other smokers."
They just smoke... as in they are cool, hip, jazzy, etc. Really, the point of irony and dry humor using puns appears to have lost its way on the journey to the 21st Century.

If the humor in my earlier statement doesn't resonate, corrective criticism based on a logic and language perspective is either an attempt to light my fire or just a vapid attempt to throw gasoline on an already smoldering tin of mint flavored tobacco. Or prove the point that pipe smokers really are like cigar smokers, LOL. Which, I now concede, you are correct.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Pipes are fine with very very close friends.

What I don't expect to hear from pipe smokers but will hear from cigar smokers is that uppity talk meant to show off supposed knowledge. "I'm an expert about cigars. This brand is better than that brand, ...."

When pipe smokers are with each other they just smoke.

Cigar smokers are a different breed of cat these days... I started back in 1990. Around that time cigar nights were just beginning to be popular at some local upscale bars around town.

More recently I’ve run into younger people at some of the local cigar lounges who have probably been cigar smokers for 6 months to a year, and yammer on like they’ve been at it for decades, blathering about all the BS they’ve read about from Facebook groups, etc...