PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Was gonna do a poll, but I hate polls...so... onto just “discussion”...

I prefer my pipe smoking time to be absolutely “anti-social”. Just me, my thoughts, and MAYBE my dog (who doesn’t say much). If I’m smoking socially, it’s a cigar. I get the most enjoyment, flavors, and calmness when I smoke my pipes alone.

I love being a member here, and visit often, for the “social” part of the pipe smoking world. But when actually smoking? I prefer to be alone...

Any strong feelings on this?

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I have always been a homebody and most of the time, when I enjoy my smokes the most is in the nights, when I am alone, watching a movie, reading or just working on my models or photography.

but sharing a smoke with good friends, here we are few acquaintances, we usually get together only 4, it's a great experience.

unfortunately, due to COVID and restrictions, we have been unable to get together for more than a year and a half, I miss them, yes, we talk by whastpsap, or phone, but it's not the same.

I also like to be alone on the terrace of my favourite bar, with a coffee, my book and my pipe, it is very pleasant in good weather.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
frankly I dig both. Socially I think the pipe helps one keep ones mouth shut unless they really need to say something. Which seems to allow you to drop gems instead of just chatting. Especially great in a larger group like four or five people. Though I also really like sitting or walking just me my thoughts and the pipe. That's great too. In fact pipes are just grand.
The biggest difference is what kind of blends I find best for either. For example I like a nice aromatic with a good room note for more social smoking. Key Largo is a solo pipe smoke Erinmore is great for a crowd. Also tend to prefer more easy going blends when being social, you know the ones that forgive you for mistakes.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Pipes are fine with very very close friends.

What I don't expect to hear from pipe smokers but will hear from cigar smokers is that uppity talk meant to show off supposed knowledge. "I'm an expert about cigars. This brand is better than that brand, ...."

When pipe smokers are with each other they just smoke.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Neither, asocial.

Yet another unsupportable generality, some of us keep working, play cards, fish. maybe hike. The world doesn't come to a halt for many of us when we smoke.
Yes, but I didn't suggest those things didn't happen. I'm referring to the consistent chatter about supposed cigar knowledge talk that happens with cigar smokers. FWIW, remove the use of generalized discussion and one might as well spend their time in a lecture hall. generalized talk is understood to be just that. It's especially useful when one types with their thumbs.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
These days one of the things I enjoy about smoking a pipe is the alone time. I used to smoke in my favorite bars and occasionally talk to people and that was a favorite way of enjoying a smoke but of course that train left the station a few years ago. Times have changed and smoking has become a solitary indulgence for me. All my great tobacco shops are gone and living in San Francisco and vicinity makes it impossible to do anything politically incorrect without being an anti-social outcast (not that there's anything wrong with that).