PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
Welcome from Toronto, home of the ‘92-‘93 back-to-back World Series champion Toronto Blue Jays.

Though I'm not much of a sports fan, I saw both of their World Series victory games on TV. Everyone was watching! It was an epic moment.

I was in Grade 8, sitting in my basement next to my best friend. Joe Carter was the man!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina U.S. The pipe and tobacco sound like the right sort of start. Take it slow and easy, and go for enjoyment, which is the point. Like a parrot on a perch, I always suggest folks starting out buy tobacco in small quantities to start, and for a year or two -- an ounce in bulk, a pouch (as you have done), one tin. Try around in great variety and different genres. Even if you love something, don't stock up. Boy, will your taste change over time. Therefore, if you don't like a blend, jar it up and come back to it in a year and see how it tastes. Welcome!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Welcome from Sask.!

Thanks for buying Brigham and supporting a Canadian company (even though the pipe's made in Italy ? ).

My first Brigham was also a volcano (#84). I've been curious about these Sportsman Brighams. Please, let us know how it smokes; and if you can post pics, even better!

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Great idea. As an introduction, one could do worse than much of the Amphora line: Kentucky, Burley, Virginia, English. Skip the Cavendish.

'Cause he's a cigar smoker. Burley doesn't taste like cigars, but it presses the same buttons.

Reactions: bigbeard

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
'Cause he's a cigar smoker. Burley doesn't taste like cigars, but it presses the same buttons.

It's funny you should mention that. In reading the general descriptions of tobaccos, Burley sounded like the one that was most likely to appeal to me initially.

Once all this COVID thing is done, I'd love to grab some raw tobacco of each kind and smoke it by itself, just to try to understand what I'm looking for.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
It's funny you should mention that. In reading the general descriptions of tobaccos, Burley sounded like the one that was most likely to appeal to me initially.

Once all this COVID thing is done, I'd love to grab some raw tobacco of each kind and smoke it by itself, just to try to understand what I'm looking for.
Whole Leaf Tobacco and Leaf Only are great sources.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
Welcome from Sask.!

Thanks for buying Brigham and supporting a Canadian company (even though the pipe's made in Italy ? ).

My first Brigham was also a volcano (#84). I've been curious about these Sportsman Brighams. Please, let us know how it smokes; and if you can post pics, even better!

I recently dug out my Grandpa's pipes. They were probably from the 80s. At least 2 were Brigham.

The Sportsman line isn't listed on Brigham's website so I'm not sure if they're discontinued or not. I managed to score one. My brother-in-law swears by them.

By the way, Olkofri, I greatly appreciated your contributions to a recent thread on sensitization in light of COVID19. That thread is what brought me to this forum. You were asking the same questions I was wondering about.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I recently dug out my Grandpa's pipes. They were probably from the 80s. At least 2 were Brigham.

The Sportsman line isn't listed on Brigham's website so I'm not sure if they're discontinued or not. I managed to score one. My brother-in-law swears by them.

By the way, Olkofri, I greatly appreciated your contributions to a recent thread on sensitization in light of COVID19. That thread is what brought me to this forum. You were asking the same questions I was wondering about.

Sounds like you’ve got some cool estate pipes to clean up! And the history of them being your Granpa’s just makes it even cooler.

Welcome to the forum. I’m new here, but I’ve been a part of other pipe forums in the past and this one is exceptional. Ask any question, no matter what it is, and we’ll answer.

My best advice, after 12 years of smoking a pipe as a serious hobby, is to enjoy yourself. There’s a learning curve, for sure, but it’s a fun one, and, since smoking a pipe is so personal, everyone has their own ideas and methods for making it enjoyable for themselves. In essence, if you’re smoking and enjoying it, you’re doing it right, and you’ll get better at identifying flavors, smoking cadence, packing etc. as time goes on-but don’t sweat the details too much off the bat.

Also, try blends from all genres. As a cigar smoker, you’re probably used to a fuller flavor from smoking, and unflavored tobacco too, so keep that in mind while choosing a blend. But, you might also love light aromatics, and that’s cool!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

I think the Sportsman are a 'new' line from Brigham. I think they debuted last year or so. Kind of a budget offering, they seem to be simple pipes without rustication or coating. I wonder at the grade of briar. Now, I'm not knocking them down: I'm genuinely curious. Their presentation is appealing, what with the metal case and all. Please, keep us posted.

Why, thankee, I never thought I'd be responsible for someone joining in this motley crew. I dunno whether to feel honoured or guilty. :oops::ROFLMAO:

Maybe I'll shanghai you for the Frigate yet, arrr; I think the Cap'n needs someone to look after his puzzle collection. ?

• Haha

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
I think the Sportsman are a 'new' line from Brigham. I think they debuted last year or so. Kind of a budget offering, they seem to be simple pipes without rustication or coating. I wonder at the grade of briar. Now, I'm not knocking them down: I'm genuinely curious. Their presentation is appealing, what with the metal case and all. Please, keep us posted.

Why, thankee, I never thought I'd be responsible for someone joining in this motley crew. I dunno whether to feel honoured or guilty. :oops::ROFLMAO:

Maybe I'll shanghai you for the Frigate yet, arrr; I think the Cap'n needs someone to look after his puzzle collection. ?

I share your sense of humour!

According to the shop's website, the Sportsman has the same briar as their 3-dot pipes but they just don't finish them up as well. My brother-in-law says his sportsmans have the 3 dots.

As you say, no rustication. There is no dye or stain. think it might be a wax finish rather than something hard. That's okay. I often do wax on my own woodturning projects.

The kit is nice. Everything you need to start except the tobacco.

I may get a few of them so I can rotate. As I understand it, one is to rest their pipes for 1 to 7 days between bowls.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
I am a hobbyist woodturner and a lot of advice I'm hearing from everyone sounds so similar.
  • Enjoy yourself.
  • Be patient.
  • Try lots of things.
  • Find what works for you.
  • Let your skills develop naturally over time.
I heard all of this as a new turner.

I dearly love turning. It's a form of active meditation. You all have me looking very forward to the pipe as being similar in a way.

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX
Welcome from Texas. Lots of excellent info on this site with collective wisdom from the members who are happy to share their experience. Enjoy--

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
As I understand it, one is to rest their pipes for 1 to 7 days between bowls.
Pipe manufacturers would recommend a new pipe for each smoke if they could get away with it. :)

If you want a practical, honest look at someone smoking a pipe for 8 bowls a day for 8 months, and still going, take a read:

Have a decent cleaning regimen and you can get by with as few or as many pipes as you desire.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
Pipe manufacturers would recommend a new pipe for each smoke if they could get away with it. :)

If you want a practical, honest look at someone smoking a pipe for 8 bowls a day for 8 months, and still going, take a read:

Have a decent cleaning regimen and you can get by with as few or as many pipes as you desire.

Wow! Then maybe I can be a little bit harder on my starter pipe than I anticipated.

So instead of spending on a 2nd or 3rd pipe right away, I can instead buy another 3 or 4 tobacco varieties to try!

Reactions: Casual

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It all depends on how much you plan on smoking. If you're gonna have the pipe in your mouth all day, well, yes, a rotation is required. Although some do smoke the same pipe all day, they just clean it once each bowl is finished.

If you're gonna be a sporadic smoker, one pipe is alright. A second or third one as backup is OK, but not an absolute necessity. I smoke ~1-3 bowls per week and have 17 pipes, one of which has never been smoked, and a few which are smoked very seldom.

As Casual said, cleaning is key. Treat your pipe as a firearm: clean it thoroughly after each firing session. Removing the 'fouling' does wonders to avoid tars building (which leads to souring), and to prevent ghosting. A clean pipe is a happy pipe.

Also:

The_cake_is_a_lie.jpg

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
Thanks, Olkofri.

I plan on smoking mostly on the weekends. Hopefully 2 to 3 bowls. I'll be sure to clean after each use. I watched a lot of vids on per-smoke cleaning and deep cleaning.

As for cake, I've heard a lot of different opinions on it. I'm sure I'll find what works for me over time. Some people have this detailed regiment for the first number of smokes. Others just put tobacco in and light it up.

My pipe is now expected to arrive tomorrow - 3 days earlier than expected! So I should be smoking on Saturday, weather permitting. I'm excited.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It all depends on how much you plan on smoking. If you're gonna have the pipe in your mouth all day, well, yes, a rotation is required. Although some do smoke the same pipe all day, they just clean it once each bowl is finished.

If you're gonna be a sporadic smoker, one pipe is alright. A second or third one as backup is OK, but not an absolute necessity. I smoke ~1-3 bowls per week and have 17 pipes, one of which has never been smoked, and a few which are smoked very seldom.

As Casual said, cleaning is key. Treat your pipe as a firearm: clean it thoroughly after each firing session. Removing the 'fouling' does wonders to avoid tars building (which leads to souring), and to prevent ghosting. A clean pipe is a happy pipe.

Also:

View attachment 26153
The cake is a lie is the gritty version of the Princess is in another castle.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks, Olkofri.

I plan on smoking mostly on the weekends. Hopefully 2 to 3 bowls. I'll be sure to clean after each use. I watched a lot of vids on per-smoke cleaning and deep cleaning.

As for cake, I've heard a lot of different opinions on it. I'm sure I'll find what works for me over time. Some people have this detailed regiment for the first number of smokes. Others just put tobacco in and light it up.

My pipe is now expected to arrive tomorrow - 3 days earlier than expected! So I should be smoking on Saturday, weather permitting. I'm excited.
I think cake is a good thing because it can protect the inside of the pipe. Which is more of an issue if there is some unseen issue in the briar which can happen. But the only real improvement I've seen with cake is when it really first is laid down. Which honestly haven't seen much difference there except on my one Peterson which really smoked kind of hot at first and kind of felt like the pipe was overpriced. After a few smokes and letting the cake build up it smokes like a dream now.

russel730

Lurker
Mar 22, 2020
Welcome! I'm new to the forum and pipes as well. I recently picked up a Brigham Mountaineer and have enjoyed it so far. I too have been pleasantly surprised at how welcoming this forum is to n00bs. May your pipe be ever full, friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.