PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
Welcome from Arizona, you've found a forum with a great amount of knowledge that is willingly shared. My advice is to try as many blends as possible and you'll start finding the ones you really like and the ones you really hate. It's all part of the fun and exploration. Enjoy!

Reactions: bigbeard

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome from, I believe, the only place in the lower 48 that has Canada to the south of us. I've been smoking a pipe for about 50 years.
Let me share with you a simple piece of advice that will help improve your enjoyment of this hobby.
Smoke the best tobacco you can afford in the best pipes you can afford.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
a simple piece of advice that will help improve your enjoyment of this hobby.
This. Definitely.

Same advice (on pipes) I got from a gentleman at the local B&M when I went there to buy my first pipe. I didn't heed it, and chose a $49 pipe instead of a $65 Brigham: I've regretted it: that first pipe has never been a good smoker.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
Welcome from, I believe, the only place in the lower 48 that has Canada to the south of us. I've been smoking a pipe for about 50 years.
Let me share with you a simple piece of advice that will help improve your enjoyment of this hobby.

I used to travel through Detroit for the odd trip. The company I worked for had a factory in Monroe, which is a beautiful city. I loved going there.

I do love your advice and follow this way in other parts of my life.

For the price of 2 of my preferred cigar (Ramon Allones), I can have ANY tin in my tobacconist's shop. Even premium tobacco is a bargain compared to cigars. No excuse for crappy baccy.

For the pipe, I'm starting with a 3-dot Brigham. Not too cheap, not too expensive. My brother-in-law swears by them.

To start with, I've got 4 varieties (Aromatic, Burley, Kentucky and Latakia) of Amphora. I did a lot of research and found people saying that it's generally a fair representation of the broad strokes, plus fairly user-friendly for a n00b. I'm waiting until I have more experience to try pure Virginia since it sounds like they burn hotter.

Reactions: Casual and judcole

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
This. Definitely.

Same advice (on pipes) I got from a gentleman at the local B&M when I went there to buy my first pipe. I didn't heed it, and chose a $49 pipe instead of a $65 Brigham: I've regretted it: that first pipe has never been a good smoker.

I'm so glad to hear this because I bought the Brigham 3-dot on my brother-in-law's advice. I almost bought the $10 cob.

Reminds me of when a friend introduced me to cigars. He helped me skip some of the beginner mistakes and introduced me to good tobacco from day 1. Between my brother-in-law and this forum, I feel like I'm going to have a good journey.

Reactions: Tommy Boy

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
My suggestion for the Amphora Full is to dry it out for 15-30 minutes before packing it in your pipe, and smoke it fairly slow. It has a bit of sugar in it and can burn a little hot.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
To start with, I've got 4 varieties (Aromatic, Burley, Kentucky and Latakia) of Amphora. I did a lot of research and found people saying that it's generally a fair representation of the broad strokes, plus fairly user-friendly for a n00b. I'm waiting until I have more experience to try pure Virginia since it sounds like they burn hotter.
If you're doing the Amphora exploration, allow me to recommend both Original and Virginia. Both find blends, and both parts of my rotation.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
My suggestion for the Amphora Full is to dry it out for 15-30 minutes before packing it in your pipe, and smoke it fairly slow. It has a bit of sugar in it and can burn a little hot.

The advice is most appreciated. Amphora Full will probably be my first bowl (ever). This will hopefully help it go smoother.

This whole thing seems like a ritual. I like rituals.

Reactions: indoeuro

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
If you're doing the Amphora exploration, allow me to recommend both Original and Virginia. Both find blends, and both parts of my rotation.

Thanks! I will put these on my list for pouches 5 and 6.

That would leave just the Black Cavendish, which doesn't (based on what I've read) sound like my kind of thing.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
After 3 days in quarantine, my pipe is opened!

20200417_154412.jpg

I did a whole Lysol process to everything except the chamber and the inside of the shank and stem. I plan to remove the stem and wash with dish soap before using.

Note: I do not plan to smoke the Murphy's Oil Soap. I was just Lysoling it at the same time.

Canada's plain packaging for tobacco is so boring.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Love the tin box. I disinfect the innards (chamber and draught hole) with spirits. I've normally used gin or vodka, but if you're concerned about the new bug I'd use absinthe. Just pour a wee bit of it onto a small bowl, dip a cleaner in it and run it through the hole; dip a paper towel in it and swab the chamber. Let it rest for a couple of hours and you're good to go.

Yes, I always wash the stems with dish soap (I use a cleaner dipped in the soap to swab the hole) and rinse with lukewarm water. If your stem is made of vulcanite, use cold water. I do this after every smoke.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
Love the tin box. I disinfect the innards (chamber and draught hole) with spirits. I've normally used gin or vodka, but if you're concerned about the new bug I'd use absinthe. Just pour a wee bit of it onto a small bowl, dip a cleaner in it and run it through the hole; dip a paper towel in it and swab the chamber. Let it rest for a couple of hours and you're good to go.

Yes, I always wash the stems with dish soap (I use a cleaner dipped in the soap to swab the hole) and rinse with lukewarm water. If your stem is made of vulcanite, use cold water. I do this after every smoke.

Unfortunately, I only have 40% Scotch on hand. Not enough to do anything to COVID19. Must be 65% and up.

Getting to the liquor store right now is a no-go.

The only available to me isopropyl alcohol at 70%, which I'd rather not use on the inside.

Given the following:
  • Shop claims all stock is pre-COVID
  • Shipped from store 11 days ago
  • Has been in my shop since Tuesday with a heater running
  • Raw wood is hostile to microbes
  • I unpacked everything with great care, sanitizing all but the inside
My thinking is that even if there had been any virus in the chamber or inside of the shank, it is no longer viable.

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
Unfortunately, I only have 40% Scotch on hand. Not enough to do anything to COVID19. Must be 65% and up.

Getting to the liquor store right now is a no-go.

The only available to me isopropyl alcohol at 70%, which I'd rather not use on the inside.

Given the following:
  • Shop claims all stock is pre-COVID
  • Shipped from store 11 days ago
  • Has been in my shop since Tuesday with a heater running
  • Raw wood is hostile to microbes
  • I unpacked everything with great care, sanitizing all but the inside
My thinking is that even if there had been any virus in the chamber or inside of the shank, it is no longer viable.

You can get isopropyl alcohol? All the stores in my area are out of that and yeast. There are some online stores still taking orders for whiskey and other liquor. Ship times vary and will be long.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Local stores seem to be out of anything containing alcohol: hand sanitiser is the most obvious sold out item, but they're out of isopropanol as well.

Liquour stores are open, although here they're not taking cash, only cards.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
You can get isopropyl alcohol? All the stores in my area are out of that and yeast. There are some online stores still taking orders for whiskey and other liquor. Ship times vary and will be long.

I have a full bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol. Bought it before the crisis.

I have been reluctant to use it on the chamber because it is poisonous.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: smokey789
Status
Not open for further replies.