PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hello from Ontario, Canada.

I'm a moderate (2/month) cigar smoker that has decided to give the pipe a solid try.

This mostly came due to the lockdown and an empty humidor. We're cleaning everything that comes in the house. Can't really soap or Lysol a beautiful Cuban cigar and don't have the money to buy a sealed box of my preferred smokes.

Many pipe tobacco products, as I understand it, are sealed. I can just Lysol the outside of the tin or pouch.

I'm actually very excited about the pipe for several reasons:

• My Grandpa (who raised me) smoked a pipe. I loved opening the jar of fresh tobacco and smelling it. Or coming into his workshop after he'd had a bowl.
  • I need a new ritual to break the lockdown monotony. I work from home. I don't leave home. My woodshop is now the quarantine zone for all groceries and packages.
  • I love things that take a lot of learning.
  • My brother-in-law is a 15-year pipe smoker and loves it.
  • Looks like a better "take anywhere" alternative to cigars.

I joined the forum to ask for some advice (which I will do in a separate thread).

For now, I'm a n00b that hasn't even taken his first pull. Hopefully you won't all hold that against me.

My first order arrives next week. It includes:

• Brigham Sportsman (3-dot) #84
  • Amphora Full
As with cigars, I'll undoubtedly try a bunch of tobaccos to find what I like.

Cheers
- Shaun

Last edited by a moderator:

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
Hope you find the pipe smoking experience a joy like the rest of us humble peeps here.
The wealth of knowledge from the peeps here is staggering and willing to pass that knowledge to you.
From pipes to tabacco & all that entails they will guide you on the righteous path of the pipe smoker.
Love the Beard.

Reactions: bigbeard

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Welcome from Sweden!
My advice would be to not get frustrated in the begining, for many of us it seems to take about 40 bowls to the pipe gods before you get the hang of how to smoke a pipe successfully.
People here are great and very helpful, so don't hesitate to ask.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Welcome from S.W Michigan. Ask any question and someone will have a answer if not we will quickly make something up. The pool of knowledge on this forum is amazing. I hop you enjoy this wonderful and relaxing hobby.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Welcome from Edmonton! You sound like you are coming at things from a perspective that will lead to discovery and enjoyment. Just be patient and ask questions when you hit a bump in the road and you will do fine.

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
Hi! I'm nearly 50 and a relatively newcomer too. I've been on these forums for a couple years but finally joined now that I have a ton of time on my hands. I've found good advice here and kind teachers!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Welcome! I came to pipes from cigars as well. My advice would be to not worry too hard about getting everything down at once. I found it a bit overwhelming at first not getting the results others were talking about (i.e. no relights, fine gray ash, etc.) Pipesmoking takes a lot of practice to become an expert (I'm surely not there yet), but it's easy to enjoy the process. Along the way, I've found that the big change is becoming comfortable with the way I smoke and not giving a damn about relights or what my ash looks like.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
One thing comes to mind reading your post. Please do not Lysol the inside of your new pipe chamber when you receive it. You might not have been planning to do so but I thought I'd say this anyway.

I greatly appreciate the advice. No interest in smoking Lysol since my teenage days of experimenting. :)

Raw wood is naturally antimicrobial so I figure the interior should be okay. Plus I'm going to light a fire in there.

I'm planning to Lysol the exterior, which might harm the finish but it's a relatively inexpensive first pipe.

If the stem is acrylic then I can wash it with lukewarm water and mild detergent.

It was just 2 months ago that we didn't have to worry about such things.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and shanez

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Keeping to a budget when considering tobacco and pipe purchases lasted about a month or two at the start. I went on to spend too much, for years. Good smokes ignored the size of my cellar and the fullness of my rack.

Some feel that Dunhills before ~1950 smoke the sweetest. Some say that Chonowsitsch pipes selling for thousands are similarly eminent. But others find little difference no matter the pipe. Expensive pipes can seduce the money from your bank account.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome. I haven't joined a forum this kind to n00bs in the last decade.

I appreciate all of the the advise and encouragement. In particular, I definitely hear that it takes time, questions and experience.

I'm definitely in this for the journey and the long-term enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.