So is US Pipe Smoking on the Rise... Or Decline?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Is US Pipe Smoking Growing?

• Yes! New folks are finding their way to the Briar!

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Pretty balanced. We're not going anywhere.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Nope. Shrinking. Cellar up now!

Votes: 51 46.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
As someone who spent decades at a major national retailer I see the that demise of the BM store is not a tobacco thing, it is the new reality of all retail and even wholesale. The internet is here until something better comes along to replace it. The people have spoken and they no longer want to drive to crowded malls or head into town and try to find a parking spot. What makes tobacco acutely different is it is an addictive, carcinogenic product that has lost significant public and market support and is a product that is in free fall.
Absolutely this. I work in a tee shirt shop and see this everyday. People would rather even pay more to just order items online and not have to deal with going anywhere. There is also the illusion that everything on the internet is cheaper, which isn’t always true. Often we tell people our pricing and they say “wow, I didn’t figure you would be cheaper than ordering online”.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
One wrinkle: we tend to define the pipe world by the people on forums, or who collect pipes, or attend shows. In short, people like us. The reality is that over a million people still smoke a pipe, most of whom wouldn't know or care about artisan briars or fancy blends. So even if our segment is growing, which I personally doubt, it is swamped by the broader market. And my guess is that mortality is taking its toll as the boomers age and wither like grapes left out in the sun.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Depends on where you live:
Washington is already looking at the future of the trade.
True, but then it's not really buying "local."
?
Was not responding to shopping locally only that "coveted" blends could be found outside of online sellers. Were I to only shop locally none of my interests would get very far.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
True, but then it's not really buying "local." It's just buying from a small online retailer who may charge 2x or 3x more then a medium sized retailer like SPC.
Up until my local B&M stopped carrying pipe tobaccos and focused on cigars, I bought a large percentage of my tobacco, and for a long time most all of it, from them. I can't buy what they don't carry, so I found B&M's that do carry. If there was a local B&M carrying what I'm looking to buy, I'd buy locally.
As for prices on unicorns, I've paid less at the B&M's than some online stores like P&C are charging. The greater online exposure, combined with the reluctance of buyers to make the effort to find alternate sources, have allowed some online stores to charge quite a premium for "star" blends.
Ultimately, online sales are going to be banned. Banning could have happened in 2016, but despite the urging by anti-smoking groups, the FDA decided against banning for the time being. Some proposed legislation currently going around goes a bit further. It calls for a ban on all non face to face sales of tobacco.
Besides supporting your local B&M, support pipe shows.
Oh, and cellar, cellar, cellar.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Where do you expect to have a less strict regulatory environment than the United States?
Leaving political, economic and governance issues aside and purposely remaining opaque; there are vast swaths of the globe that currently place a lower value on the health and well-being of their populations while, perhaps oddly to us, placing a premium on societal stability. These areas would my first inclination.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The big plummet in smoking in general came after the U.S. Surgeon General's report on smoking in the 60's. For a short time, pipes were seen as a safer alternative, but that rationale diminished over time. Pipe smoking has slowly declined ever since, in sheer numbers. I think we are on a sort of plateau right now with tobacco pipe smokers as a small but persistent interest group. However if you factor out vaping, cigar smoking, hookah bars, and weed (pot), I think we pipe smokers are on a gentle downward slope. Some will always smoke tobacco pipes because it is of historical interest, and let's face it, a certain number of people want to be out of step, like those who ride recumbent bicycles and regularly attend Renaissance fairs. I don't think or feel eccentric, but I grew up with an avid pipe smoker -- one pipe at a time, one brand with Granger.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
There are tons of b/m's who would love to get your business. You don't have to physically go into the stores. Let your fingers do the leg work. I did all my searching in the low tax states.
You and sablebrush52 and chasingembers make a good point. I'm going to look into making some phone calls to some B&Ms and see what I can get in bulk, as building a good cellar of some of the things I like is my 2020 focus.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Leaving political, economic and governance issues aside and purposely remaining opaque; there are vast swaths of the globe that currently place a lower value on the health and well-being of their populations while, perhaps oddly to us, placing a premium on societal stability. These areas would my first inclination.

You are probably right, tovarich.

Reactions: jttnk

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
The inevitable banning of internet sales will show whether or not pipe smoking is resilient.

No doubt! I’m so happy I could, with what I have, be just fine if online sales end. It would take a bit of rationing. Another year or 18 months of buying at my current pace will put me beyond any anxiety, and I suspect that the time window isn’t much more than that.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
What coveted blends? Those of us with, say, a stock of Stonehaven, or Penzance, or some other unicorn blend, have found it much easier to buy them from a B&M rather than a major on line dealer. The cheaper part is going to change as well, since sales taxes are now, and eventually excise taxes will be, collected on line, and then there's the probability of internet sales of tobacco being banned. People who only shop on line and never support their local businesses are slitting their own throats.

Very true. Unfortunately for me, the local JR Cigar outlet stopped selling pipe tobacco a couple of years ago. They had a great selection for a B&M, and I bought from them regularly. I miss going in there and just browsing

Reactions: Jef and jpmcwjr

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Here's a bunch of random thoughts... This seems like more of a poll of personal half empty/half full. The older we all get, the more we think the world is going to hell. My dad and grandpas both thought that too. Maybe it's not really as bad as all that.

I see new breweries/distilleries/pot grower shops popping up everywhere. Is tobacco really that much worse? Have you ever smoked pot? I indulge on occasion, and it is harsh on your lungs. My friend who is a long time pot smoker has lungs riddled with cysts. YUCK

I started the pipe in 1993 in college thanks to Mr. Tolkien and Mr. Clemens. Since then, I am the only pipe smoker I know. That seems pretty few and far between, so I can't really guess. The shrinking of the tobacco farmers is concerning for sure, but price affects that significantly.

I used to buy a $6 tin of Cope everyday. Now that much pipe tobacco will last me 2 weeks. We hunt down 15% off deals for online sellers that aren't paying excise taxes, or sales tax. For me, I should be charged a 40% excise tax and an 8.2% sales tax. Then we are back to even on what a B&M 2 hrs away can do. I personally wouldn't mind paying my fair share of taxes. Of course that not fair, because I now have a 50lb+ cellar. Honestly, at the rate I smoke, that could last me another 25-30 years.

Current cellaring could be what kills the future of pipe smoking. Most are cellaring for the end of time. If I (and other cellarers) stop buying new tobacco, growers and sellers will dry up, and how do newbies start?

I guess I am in the "it's probably dying, but I'm totally guessing" category. But I am getting older and grumpier.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
.. Currently cellaring could be what kills the future of pipe smoking. Most are cellaring for the end of time. If I (and other cellarers) stop buying new tobacco, growers and sellers will dry up, and how do newbies start?

I guess I am in the "it's probably dying, but I'm totally guessing" category. But I am getting older and grumpier.

there are some who cellar. but there are others who don't. people are buying tobacco. tobacco is almost like a recession proof product. a smoker will spend his/her extra coin on tobacco if they have a chance, at least i would. and there will always be folks who would choose this life style choice even in future. i'm sure some tobacco nazi will try to shut down the tobacco industry, but if they think that will work, they are too high to think straight. people think prohibition was bad? most people can go without alcohol. but you take away cigarettes from a smoker, that's not a pretty picture.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
but you take away cigarettes from a smoker, that's not a pretty picture.
A lot of companies are now banning the hiring of tobacco users going as far as screening drug tests for nicotine. You can't buy tobacco without money to pay for it. Even companies that still allow smoking have health insurance backed cessation programs that lower their overall health care costs. They're covering all the bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.