So is US Pipe Smoking on the Rise... Or Decline?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Is US Pipe Smoking Growing?

• Yes! New folks are finding their way to the Briar!

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Pretty balanced. We're not going anywhere.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Nope. Shrinking. Cellar up now!

Votes: 51 46.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
A radio program I listened to a few months ago had as its subject the various farming trends for Industrial Hemp, and the kinds of products that come from that.

One product they talked about for quite a while was that some people like to smoke the Industrial Hemp itself. Seems that some part of those plants is especially suited to smoking.

Industrial Hemp will in no way, shape or form make anybody high.

One wonders if some company will try out this agricultural product as a condiment part of pipe (or even roll-your-own) tobacco.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
On Tuesday I went to my B&M tobacconist. They were closed and gone. No warning at all. They did not relocate. The world is coming to an end! ?
Jef
I would say this is more due to the internet sales than anything. Local B&M's in any hobby are going out because its cheaper and easier to buy online and have it shipped to your door. In the case of pipe tobacco, you also have coveted blends that cant be had at the local B&M store.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would say this is more due to the internet sales than anything. Local B&M's in any hobby are going out because its cheaper and easier to buy online and have it shipped to your door. In the case of pipe tobacco, you also have coveted blends that cant be had at the local B&M store.
What coveted blends? Those of us with, say, a stock of Stonehaven, or Penzance, or some other unicorn blend, have found it much easier to buy them from a B&M rather than a major on line dealer. The cheaper part is going to change as well, since sales taxes are now, and eventually excise taxes will be, collected on line, and then there's the probability of internet sales of tobacco being banned. People who only shop on line and never support their local businesses are slitting their own throats.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
What coveted blends? Those of us with, say, a stock of Stonehaven, or Penzance, or some other unicorn blend, have found it much easier to buy them from a B&M rather than a major on line dealer. The cheaper part is going to change as well, since sales taxes are now, and eventually excise taxes will be, collected on line, and then there's the probability of internet sales of tobacco being banned. People who only shop on line and never support their local businesses are slitting their own throats.

Couldn’t agree more. My recent TAD haul was about half Brick & Mortar. Honestly though the way those pipe tobacco tins sit in one close by have me thinking I’m the sole pipe smoker. Not true, I believe there are more but they buy online.

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
Around here, several cigar stores have flourished over the past decade. But, none of them gives much attention to pipe smoking. A couple of old-time B&M stores have the same pipes in their display cases that were there ten years ago. These observations suggest that any increase in pipe smoking is an internet phenomenon.

I can tell you I never, ever see someone smoking a pipe in public anymore. That used to be pretty common place.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona

Well, I get all mine from the B&M, but I see a lot of blends listed in the what are you smoking and favorite threads that I haven't been able to find when I visit the B&M locally. I recently was surprised when my favorite B&M had a nice collection of Esoterica blends, I already have the Pembroke I like and was on limited funds, but I wanted to try And So to Bed so I bought a tin figuring I can toss it in mylar and add it to the box pass if I don't like it.

PS I like it :)

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Those of us with, say, a stock of Stonehaven, or Penzance, or some other unicorn blend, have found it much easier to buy them from a B&M rather than a major on line dealer.
This is only true if you live within a reasonable driving distance of a well-stocked B&M. Not all of us have the luxury of this access. And while it may be true that excise and other taxes may be collected on internet sales in the future, in many cases they currently are not. So if I do want some Stonehaven or Penzance or Black Frigate or whatever I fancy, I and many others (in what some may look at as mere "flyover states") simply do not have any other options besides online sales or overnight road trips. Some can berate Internet sales as an evil B&M killer, but I suspect employees of SPC are fans of internet sales, as am I. I shop local when I can, but I'm not going to feel bad about buying tobacco online when it's the only real option. We can argue about how the economics got us to this point, but we'd be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. For many areas, the local B&M is a romantic notion gone with the wind, and the Internet is only one of several reasons for its demise.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Before 2009 I used to go to my local b/m quite often. Then the state of Florida instituted an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco. I refused to pay that so all my tobacco purchases were done on line.

I got almost all of my Stonehaven back in 2012. At the time it was in huge demand online and I decided to seek other sources. I contacted some small mom and pops with no internet presence and bought a bunch of the stuff.
One guy sold me 12 bags of Stonehaven and offered me another 15 bags of Penzance. I no longer smoked Penzance so I told a buddy who bought it all.

Back in the summer of 2012 Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James flakes were hard to get at the major retailers. I found a few small mom and pops and was ordering all three in 5 pound lots. One guy was giving me a 10% discount for every 5 pounds. I ended up with over 40 pounds of the three and only a couple of pounds were bought at the major online guys.

There are tons of b/m's who would love to get your business. You don't have to physically go into the stores. Let your fingers do the leg work. I did all my searching in the low tax states.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This is only true if you live within a reasonable driving distance of a well-stocked B&M. Not all of us have the luxury of this access. And while it may be true that excise and other taxes may be collected on internet sales in the future, in many cases they currently are not. So if I do want some Stonehaven or Penzance or Black Frigate or whatever I fancy, I and many others (in what some may look at as mere "flyover states") simply do not have any other options besides online sales or overnight road trips. Some can berate Internet sales as an evil B&M killer, but I suspect employees of SPC are fans of internet sales, as am I. I shop local when I can, but I'm not going to feel bad about buying tobacco online when it's the only real option. We can argue about how the economics got us to this point, but we'd be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. For many areas, the local B&M is a romantic notion gone with the wind, and the Internet is only one of several reasons for its demise.
Right..
if I go into our B&M in town I have these options:
plumcake rolls, vanilla cream, and maybe 1 other MacBaren blend. These are $20+ per tin.
Three nuns green or orange. These are $25+ per tin.
Or an insanely old unopened tub of "Velvet"
Those are my options to smoke if I were to only buy at the local B&M.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Most B&Ms will ship.
Depends on where you live:
Ban on Internet and Mail-Order Tobacco Sales. Effective July 28, 2009, RCW 70.155. 140 makes it illegal for most tobacco products ordered or purchased by telephone, mail order, or through the Internet, to be shipped directly to consumers in Washington.
Due to the fact enforcement is focused on the retailer I can order from Germany, but not Spokane WA.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Most B&Ms will ship.
True, but then it's not really buying "local." It's just buying from a small online retailer who may charge 2x or 3x more then a medium sized retailer like SPC. I'm all for supporting independently owned businesses and paying a bit more than what I could get thru Amazon etc, but in some cases the price difference becomes economically ridiculous.

In many cases - like Minnesota - state and local sin taxes play a large role in driving B&Ms out of business. In this case, the higher prices are simply beyond the local owner's control. I'll buy 8-16 oz at Lewis Pipe when I brave the wilds of downtown Minneapolis (which is seldom), but it's not going to become my #1 online retailer.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is only true if you live within a reasonable driving distance of a well-stocked B&M.
Totally not the case. The B&M's where I've bought my Esoterica blends are 1000 or more miles from where I live. LA is a desert when it comes to pipe tobacco. I found B&M's that carried Esoterica blends, became a regular customer by phone, buying other blends whether the unicorns were not in stock, and got unicorns when they showed up.
As far as taxes go, you're betting against a trend. More and more states are sharing purchasing information, so it's only a matter of time before you get a nice letter in the mail telling you to pay up.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
As someone who spent decades at a major national retailer I see the that demise of the BM store is not a tobacco thing, it is the new reality of all retail and even wholesale. The internet is here until something better comes along to replace it. The people have spoken and they no longer want to drive to crowded malls or head into town and try to find a parking spot. What makes tobacco acutely different is it is an addictive, carcinogenic product that has lost significant public and market support and is a product that is in free fall.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
As far as taxes go, you're betting against a trend. More and more states are sharing purchasing information, so it's only a matter of time before you get a nice letter in the mail telling you to pay up.

I completely agree. Some states already do, with an initial "one and only warning," but I suspect the tax man cometh.

Status
Not open for further replies.